Low Relief Brick Terraced Houses

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I think Doug hits it fair and square when he says ;

"Ah, well, each to his own, one of the best things about this hobby is that there is no 'right' way, look at the superb work shown on this forum, all done in subtly different ways.:thumbs "

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Now everyone on here (well nearly everyone) knows that I have always worked in Plasticard, but as always, this forum has opened my eyes to alternatives.

Seeing the work of Bob, Doug and others in card has made me look again at the medium. I am sometimes pleasantly suprised by what I see and have developed a new attitude to using differing techniques.

I'll probably always be an advocate of my first mediun, Plasticard, but I will use other types of material as well. Both Bob and Doug are correct, there's no right way, but an open mind will always bring the best results.

Another thing to remember, there's no law against mixed mediums and I've seen some plasticard buildings recently with cracking rooves made out of cardboard. No doubt there's many more situations where this principle would apply.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=312]dooferdog[/user] wrote:
………….Please be assured I do not want to start a 'mine's bigger than your's is' thread, I'm just explaining why I model in card, and really would like to see some of the skilled plastic modellers have a go in the medium, ………….

Thank goodness for that.  :shock: Only "skilled plastic modellers" need apply. That lets me out then. :lol::lol::lol:

I admit I have been tempted from time to time to try card but I really feel I have chosen my favoured modelling material and will stick to it - especially if I use too much glue. :mutley 

I've built Superquick kits 'out of the box' and kit-bashed a few too, but I have never tried a scratchbuild just using raw card. I greatly admire the results of those card modellers skilled enough to achieve the standards shown on this forum and elsewhere, but I think I'll be staying with what I know. :chicken

Perry

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
seriously there great i really like how you have captured the brickwork.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=312]dooferdog[/user] wrote:
Yes, everything is card,paper [Scalescenes] DAS clay, scrap wood etc, the sash windows, however have got thin plastic strip. The card is cornflake packets and the back of an old calendar. The hardest bit to get 'right' was the rubbish tip at the end, I did it three times before it looked right.

Having just bought a new printer following advice on here, I find I can now print off the Scalescenes papers in pretty accurate colours.

I was looking at this shot Doug - or the "verbage" as much as the photo - because here, modelling card is as rare as hens teeth (unless I go to Bordeaux) but, surprise, surprise, we can get Corn Flakes !!!  Scalescenes recommend (in "OO") light card as being 200gsm;  medium card 1mm and heavy card as 2mm.

When last in UK (because I came back by car) I did buy some 1mm card with this type of modelling in mind.  What "weight" do you rate cereal packets at Doug ?  They're cheaper than Dealer card and I don't have to go to UK for them !!!

I'm sure I said at the time but the above shot is superb :thumbs:thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
My 180 gm card works out at 0.2 mm, my Cornflake packet is 0.4 mm and my 1 mm works out at  exactly 1 mm! [all by Vernier]

The 180 stuff I bought in France at a Papeterie in Montpon as 'A4 Carte pour menus'.

Hope this helps!

That is an old piccy, I must find that model, it's here somewhere!!!

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
If you can't get card where you are and you are in need then I can get some here and cut it up into A4 size, or bigger if I can get an envelope, and send to you. It's what I make all my structures from as well as things like palettes, girder work etc. The off cuts make great timber loads and all the small items so nothing much is wasted.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for that Doug - I'll have a scout around for a Papeterie - I think Bergerac may be the nearest - don't think there's one in Marmande.

Bob - that's very kind and an offer you may yet live to regret having made !!! :hmm:hmm:hmm  I seem to recall you have a good art and craft shop near you :roll::roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi all
Re:- card modelling.

An additional benefit I found using cornflake packets, is to glue (Pva) them together in layers put under a press or weight until dry.
This way you can build up the thickness you require it is rigid and stronger than wood.
Several layers needing a fret or scroll saw to cut to size.

Just something passed to me by a friend. (I have used this method).
He made an R/c model boat,2ft long, only using corn flake packets as a building material.
It featured in Model Boats around 15 years ago.
He’s built more since, but the original called Flakes is still running and water proof.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
We have a couple of good ones in Benidorm Peter. Contrary to the British press Benidorm has plenty of culture with art playing a very strong part.

Corn Flake packets will work well too Brian as you say. I have had to use them in the past when stuck for card. Always available in our house too, or rather the Spanish equivalent but they are just as good.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
:hi

We recycle the lot Bob. Cereal, Cat food, any box of that type really.

Often the cry from the domestic appliance department is. Throw it or keep it?

I used to say what is it?

Being in a different room out of sight, but this only received a muttered response.

So now it’s just yes dear keep it I’ll put it with the others later.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Is that something peculiar to model railways Brian ?

Liz always comes into the computer room carrying some strange looking empty box, bottle or packet and asks if I want it "for my trains" !!  Bless them, they're quite intelligent really - they soon learn not to throw anything out.  (you can tell it's early morning and she's not up yet - I'd never dare say that in daylight !!!)

You're right about the laminated corn flakes card making good model boats.  I've done the same thing with gummed paper strips before now and it works perfectly.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
They are a little like us Peter easily trained.
Lyn will often appear with various items either for storage or cutting up for modelling.

I used to get funny looks and remarks when I raided the vacuum cleaner for dust (Military modelling real dust and debris)
I’m banned from skips, collecting old soft red bricks, and taking secateurs out walking always an opportunity for small twigs or roots. (It’s the bag I take is the give a way).

She is very good when we pass a 99p shop always the offer I have to go to!!!
So I will see you back here in ½ an hour.

Bless her; she helps in modelling and operating (Dab hand with R/c).
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Brian - I’m banned from skips

I'm married to one of your wife's relatives then……………….

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Doug

Lyn has just spotted your avatar.

Threw her hands up and said “OMG it’s my sister in a bad mood“.

So you could be partly right.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Cornflake packet warning.

Be careful of this type of packet as they often use shiny surfaces on the box and it can affect the glue holding power. Scuff them over with a light abrasive before use.
For some reason Wheatabix have a stiffer card but the b*^&%$£s emboss the name on it so if you don't want undulating walls etc, you are restricted to narrower strips.
I find supermarket own brands adequate but the card is softer. Still, they are cheaper so get approval from SWMBO (she's a Yorkshire woman) which is no bad thing.

Jim

Because, except in some unfortunate circumstances, trains did not run on town centre streets
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.