Low Relief Brick Terraced Houses

Posted
Rating:
Most impressive. Can I ask what you used to stain the wooden beams as they give a great impression of weathered timber?

'
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Bleeding heck, DD, the end of those buildings looks so real !!!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Lovely work!!!!!

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
well all i can say is bloody marvelous,they look the part.
:doublethumb;-):lol::lol::lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
you are "the man" DD more excellent work!

Posted
Rating:
Wow, that's very very good.  In fact the best card models I have ever seen.  I'm really impressed.

Well done mate

Posted
Rating:
Here's another WOW, DD, Super job.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
That's some terrace DD :shock::shock::shock::shock:

Put's mine to total shame. :oops::oops:  When I'd "finished" mine - "out of the box" - but in stone, the first thing that sprang to mind was a comment I'd heard before somewhere - "Could do better" !!!!:roll::roll::roll::roll::sad::sad:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
:doublethumb:wowAmazing from me as well DD.

Phill

Posted
Rating:
[user=208]mojo1[/user] wrote:
Most impressive. Can I ask what you used to stain the wooden beams as they give a great impression of weathered timber?

Sorry so long in replying, been away for a while…….

Thank you for your kind remarks:oops::oops:

The wood is thin softwood, planed smooth, then sanded lightly in different directions with medium glass paper, a coat of 'gunge' coloured acrylic wiped off after a couple of minutes and allowed to dry, and then either painted with dilute dirty black for the battening on the walls, or, for the supports weathered with a dry brush application of watercolour.

The fence is my own print-out on 140 gm 'NOT' watercolour paper, which gives a minute texture to the surface.

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Awesome terrace,dooferdog!!!:shock::shock::shock:

Cheers,John.B.

Posted
Rating:
Oh dear! Had to prop them up, did you? :thud:thud:thud

If you had built them out of Plastikard in the first place they wouldn't have needed shoring up! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::pedal

Seriously, I'm not a great fan of card, but I have to admit that these really do look terrific. Well done indeed.

Perry

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

Posted
Rating:
[user=17]Perry[/user] wrote:
Oh dear! Had to prop them up, did you? :thud:thud:thud

If you had built them out of Plastikard in the first place they wouldn't have needed shoring up! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::pedal
………………………………………….
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hm!  There's no emoticon for 'Nah-nah-nee-nah-nah', is there???:lol:

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Don't take any notice of 'em Doug. :pathead

Gawd knows I've tried hard enough to get'em away from that horrible, nasty plastic stuff. They just wont listen. :It's a no no

Posted
Rating:
I know, I know, and that plastic stuff costs money…[shhh, whisper, don't want to let them know, it gives me more left over for Scottish Laughin' Water;-)]

Posted
Rating:
I think that often plastic modellers become seduced by the textures that they are using, and just accept that each of their roofs will be the same as someone elses 200 miles away, because of the comparatively narrow range of [particularly] roofing sheets.

That does not mean, I assure you most earnestly, that I do not respect the skill they use in making the models.

I just like knowing that my model is my model, from the ground up, for instance, in the roof below, I wanted the effect of the rough ended old slates, so cut the strips off  in some places, to include the drawn line for the slate below, to give that effect.

Some one else may do the same, but not exactly like mine. I'm not ranting, but give an OO model a look-see from a reasonably scale distance, and brick pointing would be invisible, some need to see it, because they know it is there, so want to see it.

Below is a real slate roof, [modern machine cut] , at 20 ft away you would be hard pressed to see the thickness of a slate, let alone a scale 200 yards….

As for the often quoted 'lack of texture' of card and paper models, I don't think this lacks scale texture, do you?  A little 'broken' ridge tile detail, the ridge tiles not pressed too hard down so as to leave hollows and so on, all add to the sense of texture. (IMHO)  I cant find realistic ridge tiles, not even in the excellent Scalescenes range, so do my own on the 'pooter from matt photo paper, and 'crease them with a blunt scalpel blade after the glue is dry.

Please be assured I do not want to start a 'mine's bigger than your's is' thread, I'm just explaining why I model in card, and really would like to see some of the skilled plastic modellers have a go in the medium,

Last edit: by Chubber

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Dooferdog,what the majority forget is the masters they worship :- via
modelling books etc, all hand made their models from whatever they had,
mostly card or balsa, i have books full of terrific buildings made this way.

:thumbs:thumbs;-):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Well,Dooferdog,you've convinced me.I'm going to try to stick to building in card and paper wherever possible!

Cheers,John.B.

Posted
Rating:
 I expect, Owen, having looked at your profile your bookshelf would have plenty by John Ahearn and Edward Beale on it!  Both absolute masters of doing things with nothing. In those post war days, there was little available to buy, even if there was cash to buy it.

One of my Ahearn books has a page dedicated to how to make a razor blade holder, and how to sharpen a blunt razor blade. Even with all the modern materials, tools, facilities, not to mention lighting available, I can't touch those two who were after all writing modelling books as wellas doing the day job!

Not all the old ideas have been bettered, I recently made the hipped roof above using brown sticky parcel tape on the inside, and shall never use glue again, it went together so squarely and cleanly, and had I made more than my usual cock-up of it, a 'razor blade' down the join would have separated the parts in seconds without damage, too.

Ah, well, each to his own, one of the best things about this hobby is that there is no 'right' way, look at the superb work shown on this forum, all done in subtly different ways.:thumbs

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.