Weathering a Coal Lorry

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
a nice job on the lorry, but as Jeff said about  the sacks, the ones you have are
in fact coke sacks, coal are about half that size,i made the same mistake on mine
so i have both now,
good tip from Jim about the wheels,never noticed before but they do go off centre,
must glue mine.

:hmm:lol::lol::lol::cool:

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=350]jim s-w[/user] wrote:
Once dry I then rub the vehicle on some sandpaper to give a slight squareness to the bottom of the tyres. This helps to give a sense that the vehicle is heavy.
Who would even think of that!  An excellent tip Jim, thanks.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Like the tip on the tyres :thumbs

Bob

Good job on the lorry, great weathering, I would be proud to have that on our layout. :doublethumb
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Wow you learn something new on here everyday. Good tip on the tyres mate.

Phil
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
That looks like a hard working coal delivery lorry Novice :thumbs and amazing what you have achieved in just a couple of hours.

I like the idea of using a wash to remove the gloss finish - I had visions of scrubbing mine with a fibre glass pen !!!  You're also dead right about the rope - they never used them - too difficult to get the sacks off !!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
"rub the vehicle on some sandpaper to give a slight squareness to the bottom of the tyres"

You'll know if you've overdone it because it will look like it has four punctures.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Lovely job of weathering, well impressed, but as Owen has said, the sacks are in the proportion of coke sacks. Coke was comparatively light and bulky and needed sacks much taller than coal sacks.

Several regions had 'coke-rails' attached to ordinary open coal wagons extending the height by as much as 30%.

My Uncle Richard used to run a haulage firm near Warwick, and he would deffo describe your completed lorry as 'An ole' nail', i.e. it looks well hammered!:lol:

Doug

Edited to say good tips, i.e. wheels off square and sanded at the bottom…

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
I seem to remember low chains and posts around some coal lorries.
Can't think they were very efficient.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
A great job Bob. The wagon fits in very well with it's surroundings on the layout. Another winner for Upton.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=11]Novice[/user] wrote:
I plan to have a coal lorry next to my coal depot, sitting on the weigh bridge. I have been scouring the web for a suitable candidate without success, so I have decided to have a go at a flat bed truck and make it look like a heavily used coal delivery lorry.

The subject for this small project is a 'Base Toys' Commer Flatbed. It has no markings, other than number plates:

As a load I bought a pack of Model Scenes coal sacks. They needed trimming and a bit of flash cutting off:

The first task will be to wash the lorry in soapy water to help with paint adhesion, and then give the whole vehicle a wash in black acrylic.

Bob(K)

You must have taken sometime and trouble to get it just right.It    

really looks great.Have you ever thought about

putting a drive in the cab.That would finish it off in my opinion

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=350]jim s-w[/user] wrote:
Hi Bob

Once dry I then rub the vehicle on some sandpaper to give a slight squareness to the bottom of the tyres. This helps to give a sense that the vehicle is heavy.

HTH

Jim

i would never think of that:thumbs

ref the wheel turning, i read you saw the axle halfway across and bend it round, is this right?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Interestingly re the rope around the coal sacks, yesterday I got stuck behind a coal lorry and there was no rope in sight!  H&S obviously have not reached the coal delivery guys yet - long may it continue!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I thought coal was a dirty word nowadays - it's the "greens" they need to watch out for, not H & S :roll::roll:  Maybe if they use rope, there's a risk they'd be ambushed and strung up. :hmm

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

You must have taken sometime and trouble to get it just right.It    

really looks great.Have you ever thought about

putting a drive in the cab.That would finish it off in my opinion

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Lots of really good comments here and some have helped me improve the model - some not for reasons which I will explain.

Firstly the coal sacks - point taken, they are too large. I have now changed these for some Ratio sacks which are about half the size.

The idea of turning the wheels and rubbing them down on one side is an excellent suggestion. I have tried, but they are made of a rubbery material. I tried trimming them but concluded that they will be a mess and it was something that will be done next time when the vehicle is being prepared.

Turning the wheels too is tricky as their is very little play in the wire axles and with the rubbery wheels my attempts did more damage to the weathering, so I will leave it.

As for a driver? Something I considered, but this would only be possibly by drilling out the securing pins beneath the truck and taking the whole thing to bits. Besides, in my scenario my driver will be humping coal sacks.

An interesting project and some very useful comments, some of which I will certaily attempt to incorporate on my next vehicle weathering project.  Thanks to all for the comments and encouragement.

Bob(K)

Posted
Rating:
Besides, in my scenario my driver will be humping coal sacks.

You don,t get out of it that easy Bob.

WHAT ABOUT HIS LAZY OFFSIDER SEEN HAVING A QUICK CIGGY ?

John.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Very nice Job, It suits your scene really well.

Looking forward to more Pictures and updates !

Regards,

Fabien (ExmouthJunction)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thanks for posting your comments and pictures on the old coal wagon, certainly brought out some points I'll put into practice on my layout.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Looking really good, I wish I could send some of my locos and vehicles your way for a proper weathering!! Im still just learning how to do this stuf tho :( great work tho!!

Last edit: by Jim S

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Wonderful job very realistic. I am old enough to have had coal delivered to my Mum's house about once every two weeks and the sacks were never tied on, however once the sacks were emptied they were folded once and stacked at the rear of the flat bed. You can not afford to give them away.

All the best
JOhn
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.