Steam, Diesel Or Both?

Posted
Rating:
#1791 (In Topic #362)
Legacy Member
What locomotives do you run on your layout, steam, diesel or both?
Barchester has both because I can always find a reason for running anything I like.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Both, because I've pitched my modelling roughly around the time of the change from steam to diesel.
That way I can run GWR steam, BR (WR) Steam and early BR diesels.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I hope to run both purely because I want to :!:  :!: (But putting DCC encoders in some of my older steam engines may take some time…) :D

Posted
Rating:
Both for me, why, cause its my model and i can run what i want ok  :D  :D , think its call operators licence  :)
Phill

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Both for me although of the sixteen locos I own only one is steam.  I do have plans to buy a couple of big UP kettles down the track i.e. a Big Boy and a couple of Challengers.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
if i like it i will run it :wink:  i can't understand on other forums people who rant and rave about that wagon would not be in that area and that loco never pulled that wagon :twisted:  a model is a model and all they are is little worlds sprung from or imagination. 8)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
both as i have over the yrs bought what i fancied. :?  :lol:  :lol:  8)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Steam for me because I want to model the mid fifties but who knows I may stretch to get a very early diesel or two in there.

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Prefer steam but model both (one of the advantages of modelling a Heritage Line!(plug,plug)
Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Model both but more to diesel

Brian(G)

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
My period in modelling is from 19xx to 19xx, a bit like Jeff. GWR/WR/BR - steam & green diesels.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I missed this one somehow.

Steam for me although I do have a GWR diesel railcar.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Ken
Inactive Member
Mid '50s GWR Steam for me.
Ken

'It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Swing'

Posted
Rating:
Mine's BR change-over time - end of steam/early diesel - brings back memories of my youth !! :roll:  :roll:

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Mine is anything that ran in Cornwall and quite a bit that did not!

Mainly diesel, I am particularly fond of the BR Blue era, but there was no option on the poll for Electric - am I the only one with an interest in EMUs?  (Not the Rod Hull variety)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Steam only for me I'm afraid.
It must be an age thing! I can still remember steam on regular BR trains before the early diesels. To me it was a sad time in 1968 when steam finally finished on BR.

To Quote the late great Fred Dibnah "Steam is in the blood of every Englishman"
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Fred Dibnah :lol:  :!: A star greatly missed :!:  One of his other famous quotes was:

"Steam engines don't answer back. You can belt them with a hammer and they say nowt."

Did yer like that? :!:  :wink:  :D

Posted
Rating:

rector said

Fred Dibnah :lol:  :!: A star greatly missed :!:  One of his other famous quotes was:

"Steam engines don't answer back. You can belt them with a hammer and they say nowt."

Did yer like that? :!:  :wink:  :D

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   In his Lancashire twang Tim - wonderful.

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I met the great man many years ago he was such a gentleman he is sadly missed.
this was an occasion i was asked to drive a fowelr 8ton steam roller from Coventry to a small vilage near Northampton it was one of the best things i've ever done so i have a soft spot for steam but when it comes to modelling i'm going to have to say it diesels for me i'm afraid
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I run mostly diesels, but as i am modelling the late 60s I can still use a few steam locos.  So I run both too.

Bob(K)
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.