Metcalfe Farm Buildings

Posted
Rating:
[user=15]owen69[/user] wrote:
nice build John, should look even better with the corners coloured.

Phill i cut the selotape in thin strips to stick the windows in,easy and no mess…

:doublethumb:lol::lol::cool:

Now thats a cool idea, so when i start my Metcalf today i shall use this. Thanks Owen and also John.

Phill
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
:thumbs Sellotape is a good idea. I use the 151 Glue or UHU which I also use for the model but there's always the danger it will spread on the "glass" if I put it on too generously.

At the moment I'm starting Railways Model footbridge which I bought at car boot ……… nowhere near in the same class as the Metcalfe …….. but it will come in somewhere and I don't want to ditch it.

Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posted
Rating:
John: I'd be very interested to see 'before and after' pics. of how the corners are dealt with.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
John

Looking good, don't forget to show us the bridge as well !
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=225]Myansome[/user] wrote:
Sellotape is a good idea. I use the 151 Glue or UHU which I also use for the model but there's always the danger it will spread on the "glass" if I put it on too generously.
    I'm just about to start on a couple of Metcalfe kits so thought I'd look on here to see what glue people use. I've not heard of "151 glue" but obviously UHU I have. Firstly, is 151 glue something I'm likely to pick up in WH Smiths or Tesco? Secondly, I believe there are several types of UHU glue, gluestick, roller, etc etc, which should I use?
Finally, I was a little concerned about the spreading of glue on windows so I will use the Sellotape method, rather the Scotch tape method as I find that never discolours and sticks like something horrible to a blanket.

Posted
Rating:
:thumbs Hi Trainfish …… I use the good old fashioned tube of glue but be gentle with the squeeze so as to speak. I used to love Airfix kits as a boy. They included a capsule of glue which was rarely sufficient as I squeezed it too much, so I used a tube then. As with everyting it's the control element.

Totally against Health and Safety I guess, I also give fold backs a few warm breaths ……. it's not glue sniffing!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not cut up some small piece of scrap card and practice gluing those first to get the idea of how much to use …………..

Enjoy!

Look forward to seeing your photos.

John

Posted
Rating:

Not in final situ, put here for the moment. …. also ……..

and a couple of hen houses, again not in situ.

I'm now going to make the Metcalfe farmhouse and farm Worker's cottage to complete the set; then I can set out the farmyard.

I really want to get back to Section E and work on the seawall and lighthouse etc. 

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
It's probably been asked (and answered) before but where should I get downpipes and maybe gutters (I've read a thread about those so won't hold my breath) from?

Nice tractor shed John, have you got any tractors to go in it? I want a couple of OO/4mm Ford 6610s or similar for mine. That's if my memory of Ford model numbers serves me correctly. Maybe even a Massey Ferguson too from the 1980's.

Posted
Rating:
:thumbs Hi Trainfish,

http://yourmodelrailway.net/reply.php?topic_id=5088&post_id=91791&quote=1

hopefully this will link you to Phill's Metcalfe Bus Depot thread where dooferdog gives the answer.

No tractor yet …… got an old combine from the days of my youth so the tractor hunt will be next buy.

Bought these through Kernow Rail Centre the other week …… bought the farmhouse there today and Sue bought me a Bus Depot for Christmas, which is great as I have a fleet of buses I bought at Car Boot.

Enjoying the Metcalfe modelling ……. just seen some at a good price at Amazon uk.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks John. A OO combine harvester? Now there's an idea, I like that, I want one!
Read about the straws and yes they would work to an extent. There's a post somewhere though with the downpipes from the bathroom etc coming across at an angle and joining the main vertical downpipe. I'll have another look for it when I get back from the pub. There's a barrel with my name on it down my local. Now you'll all be thinking my name is John Smith or something equally as vile I suppose :sad:

Posted
Rating:
As regards UHU glue. Hart's the best. Comes with a nozzle to enable a very fine stripe to be put down. Also does not leave a string.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
You slipped in and out very quickly as well!  I took an order out the back and when I came back you were gone like a willow the wisp!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Comming on great guns John :thumbs

You really have cracked the Metcalfe kits, they look very good, are you going to detail them in any way, and weather them as well ?

And how are you feeling ?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
:thumbs Feeling good, thanks, Alan. Spent the morning in the Museum, which was a tonic. Interesting question , weathering and how to detail.

I saw you were busy Chris ….. shop looks great!

Here's the combine, Trainfish, a little play worn ….. the steering wheel is missing and the figure added. My Dad worked for a farm machinery company, I think I may have got it through them possibly when I was a lad.

I've a cople of traction engines that will fit in as well.

…… well that's going ahead of myself ………… the farmhouse and farm worker's house to make first my ansomes.
 and no that's a Skaledale old school in the background. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Time for a quick chorus of the Wurzels' I wish I was back on the farm!

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=225]Myansome[/user] wrote:
  Interesting question , weathering and how to detail.

Detailing only needs to be gutters and downpipes etc, plus rubbish laying  around the outside, weathering can be done with powders ect, which will tone down the bright coloured card.

Just a thought ;-)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=285]Alan[/user] wrote
weathering can be done with powders ect, which will tone down the bright coloured card.

Just a thought ;-)
I thought Skaledale were resin castings Alan :roll::roll::roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
[user=285]Alan[/user] wrote
weathering can be done with powders ect, which will tone down the bright coloured card.

Just a thought ;-)
I thought Skaledale were resin castings Alan :roll::roll::roll::roll:
I was talking about the Metcalfe kit Peter  :roll::roll::roll::roll::lol::lol::lol:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sorry Alan - thought you were refering about the Skaledale school building. :oops::oops::oops::oops:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
:hmm:hmm anybody seen a hat :mutley
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
:mutley:mutley:mutley:mutley:mutley

I need to let the air get to my head Alan - wearing that hat all the time has made a tiny bit of my hair fall out I think  !!

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.