H0 Scale - South Shore Line

Posted
Rating:
Just count to ten and sit down with a brandy and think of what you can do calmly.
phill
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I've often watched "This Old House" on sky TV and wondered why Steve & Norm always made such a fuss about the planning stage of a restoration. Now I realise why :!:  :!:

Hope you can soon find a better alternative Wayne. Who knows, "plan 2" may be even better :!:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Is an outdoor shed an option?

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
my experiance is plan 2 usually ends up the one you like
anyway,stick with it Wayne. :oops:  :(  :(  :lol:   8)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
MikeC,
I live in a deed restricted community, so an outside shed is not an option. I have one idea that is slowly festering, will take lots of time though.

Thanks for all the concern everyone.

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Wayne

I can't believe the bad luck you are having finding a space for your layout. One of the options you might consider is changing to N gauge.  I know this may be a radical decision, but you can pack a lot of track into a very small space.  Modern N gauge is very good, with smooth running, lights etc and is just beginning to move into the DCC era - just a thought.

Bob(K)

Posted
Rating:
Novice, N gauge has crossed my mind but, I think it would be very difficult to scratchbuild in N gauge. After watching Perry build his Goods shed I'm hooked. Does anyone out there scratchbuild in N gauge?

Wayne

This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:

Wayne Williams said

Novice, N gauge has crossed my mind but, I think it would be very difficult to scratchbuild in N gauge. After watching Perry build his Goods shed I'm hooked. Does anyone out there scratchbuild in N gauge?

Wayne

Yes - people with excellent eyesight, steady hands and nerves of steel!  :roll:  :lol:  :lol:

Seriously though Wayne, scratchbuilding in 'N' gauge could in fact be a little easier than in 'OO' gauge, simply because some detail will just be too small to need modelling. One wouldn't actually be able to see it - so why bother modelling it? It would need a slightly different approach but it should be possible to obtain a good overall effect without needing to fiddle about with the really tiny details. Embossed plastikard is available in 2mm (N) scale, so the raw materials are easy to get.

Have a go. Use some card if you don't want to spend much on materials to start with, just so that you get a feel for how easy - or otherwise - you find it to work in that scale. You might surprise yourself.  :wink:  :D

Perry

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

Posted
Rating:
I realize what you are saying Perry about most of the detail missing, but I like the detail! I think that is what really sets a great scratchbuild above a good one.
I'm not saying No to this, at least not yet. I guess it would help to see some examples of N gauge scratchbuild projects.

I intend to continue with my Outhouse build. I'm just waiting for the roofing material to arrive, had to order it on-line.

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
I'm not saying the detail would be missing, Wayne. You could obviously include as much as you want. It's just that you can get away with not including some of it should you wish. Super-detail to your heart's content if that what you want to do. The limit is yours to set.  :wink:

Perry

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

Posted
Rating:

Wayne Williams said

Wayne

Wayne

I support Perry's view that it really depends on what level of detail you want - eg in N scale you can get away with painting detail on to an item rather than building it from scratch.  

I did a little scratch building when I constructed Grimethorpe (see personal layouts).  The overhead station complex on the road bridge on the town side is a kit conversion and the island platform building on the country side of the layout is completely scratch built as are all the signals - so it can be done.  I think in N scale you have to think more about materials, as it is easy to build something that looks overscale because walls etc are too thick or chunky.

Bob(K)

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the info Novice, I went and took a look at your Grimethorpe layout. Very nice, but I am just having a hard time grabbing ahold of N scale. It's just so small! :(

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Wayne, I am building an N scale B&O late 50's layout and have tried my hand a some kit bashing and scratcbuilding.  It isn't easy, as my efforts so far attest to  :roll:  but it really is worth giving it a go.  There are some great kits out there that you can bash to your hearts content and this will lead you into scratchbuilding.  

There are plenty of 2mm raw materials out there for you to play with and the modern build rolling stock is very well detailed (and you can still get detailing parts).

Why don't you try a small shelf layout in N to get a feel for it, minimal expense as well, so if it's not for you then you haven't lost much financially, and it will give you and idea of creating a scene in 2mm.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Well I'll say this, you guys are persistent, and that's probably a good thing. :D  Without that how would I ever come out of this emotional hole I've put myself in.
 Actually, at one time in the early stages of planning the South Shore Line layout, I considered putting an N Gauge layout back in one corner, like it was in the distance. That was changed due to accessibility within the layout. Maybe I'll go back and take another look at that again. I still want an HO layout! Somehow I will have a HO layout! :evil:
Now to dig through the old papers. :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Wow, the last time I posted here was Dec 2007! How time fly's.

Well, some of you have been asking for photos of the construction project to close in our Lanai in order to make a model train room, so here goes.

This is what I started with, this only shows half of the Lanai, but you get the idea anyway.

Here is the same picture taken a year later, and shows where I am currently at as far as getting this train room up and running. This, by the way, is where the layout will be located.

This photo shows the entire Lanai, and the entire construction area.

This one is taken from the outside, as you can see, IT IS DONE, on the outside. :Happy  :Happy  :Happy

Today, I work on the electrical, and if all goes well, maybe even some insulation!

Wayne (see, I told you it was boring)

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Gosh Wayne thats some posh layout room you have there you will be able to put your bed in there with the layout best my shed will get is a lick of white and perhaps some sky blue paint inside.

cheers Brian.W
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
You're going to get loads of natural light. Even when it's not direct sunlight it's still the best.
 Very glad to see some progress Wayne. I wish that space was mine!

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
That is some serious space Wayne, well worth waiting for.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
[user=19]Marty[/user] wrote:
That is some serious space Wayne, well worth waiting for.

Marty, the wait has been over a year now. :twisted::twisted::twisted:, but the past is past, so now I just want to look ahead, and to GET THIS D****ED THING DONE!

OK, I've got that off my chest, (sorry Marty) so on with the show.

The electrical is done, the insulation is done, the drywall….well you can't have everything done (yet).

Wayne :Happy:Happy:Happy

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Excellent account of your start, right from the beginning of the layout room.

I can see the finished article in my mind's eye and you are going to have an excellent layout there, Wayne.

BTW, I don't agree with your assesment of "boring", I reckon it's a novel, first class way to start an account of the layout and looking back with a "before and after" comparison will be excellent.

Thanks for the time taken, Wayne and keep us updated at every stage.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.