H0 Scale - South Shore Line

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Great room, great view. Presumably there will be some kind of shade for the summer as bright sunlight can play havoc with a model railway if the models are subjected to it for long periods.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
The direction the windows are facing is East. That will help some. I intend to cover the glass with a tinted hurricane film (Yes, we do get them), which will reduce the heat and UV that hits the layout. Best I can do with the situation.
Summer months (June, July, and August) are spent up in Michigan, (grandkids). So I will probably do something to cover the layout, or maybe install window shades that I can close, haven't decided yet.

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
A great space, Wayne - and the blue skies remind me that I haven't been down to the Sunshine State in nearly three years :cry:

Bob is on to something with the need for some shade - even though I expect the space will be air-conditioned.

Also - how many power outlets will you need(says he who always needs as many as possible!) and is the space already wired for such?

Posted
Rating:
Wayne

Now there is a space with real potential. I can't wait for you to start filling it up :)

Bob(K)

Posted
Rating:
Let me tell you, It Better Be Air Conditioned :roll:  If It wasn't I think the sweat would drip down and short out the whole thing.
As far as power outlets are concerned, there's one there right now and I am adding three more. Do you think four are enough?

Wayne

This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
So long as they're double outlets, Wayne :!: Not just the railroad (DCC :wink: ) power kit, but moveable lighting, at least two or three to keep the re-chargable drill and screwdriver topped up; then there's one for the cutting tool, one for the soldering iron, one for the tea-kettle (UK: Kettle) which is essential on any of my layouts; and finally - one for the vacuum cleaner that we all need to clean up our wonderful, modelling mess :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:

Oh - I forgot the one for the phone … :?  :?  :?

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
then all that is left is move house next to a sub station
and you will be fine? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :?  8)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Well, I guess I could always plug in a power strip, that would give me six more plugs :P
I can eliminate the outlet for the phone, I've got more remote phones in here than I have people. :shock:

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
wayne, thats exactly the way i have gone,only we call
them extenstion sockets, ideal for modellers. :)  :)  :)  8)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Those power strips/extension sockets are ideal for modellers - but only because the power draw of an average layout is relatively low.  It's only when heavier kit is plugged in, such as space heaters and de-humidifiers, that we ought to be careful about how many appliances we are running off one 'strip.'  

I'm also slightly wary of using more than a couple of transformers with built-in plugs on the same strip on account of the heat they generate next to each other.

Posted
Rating:
Always remember guys, any extension you use should always be uncoiled to the fullest amout, otherwise it could over heat, learnt that from a bad experience a while ago, Fireman told me about it  :? . So use extension uncoil it all  :D , her endith first lesson.
Phill

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
As an adjunct to locomotive quality, I found this site which has a table of comparisons: http://horailroading.net/loco-chart.htm
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hey Thanks, that was very interesting. It sure reinforced what everyone here was telling me about Atlas. :D

Update On My Layout:
Not good at all. Due to my family issues at this time I had to place the whole project on hold. Plus, the last conversation I had with the builder did not go well at all. The permit people now want to do an inspection on the house to see if the heating / cooling system can support the added interior space. :evil: Also they now say that our Master bedroom which is adjacent to the layout room, no longer has an emergency exit, and they want me to remove one of the master bedroom windows and enlarge it to meet code. :evil:
I guess there's nothing I can't solve by throwing money at it, but …..

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Another obstacle. I guess they leave you no choice but to alter the window. How frustrating that must be!

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Wow Wayne,

I thought our planning laws were strict, but this all seems to be a nightmare for you, how frustrating.  Still, looking on the bright side once the work is done you will know it is all correct and there wil be no danger of having to do more building work after the railway construction begins.

best of luck

Bob(K)

Posted
Rating:
My sympathies, Wayne :? If you think Florida's planning ordinances are tough, don't move to New York.  It's twice as bad :cry:

Posted
Rating:
I used to wonder why people would build something without permits, now I'm beginning to understand :twisted:
I'll get through it, albeit much slower than originally planned. What with the holidays coming up and Lord knows when I will return home, it is very difficult to predict when I can actually begin working on the layout. I will hazard a guess:

Nov: :cry:
Dec: :(
Jan:  :)
Feb: :D

Wayne :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Posted
Rating:
You have all heard of the preverbal "Straw That Broke The Camels Back", well, now I know exactly what that means.

The "Permit People" have now taken my $6,200 project and moved it up to just over $11,000, because of "Codes". :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted: They say I need a larger window for a fire escape from our Master bedroom. The current windows measure 4.32 Sq. Ft. opening and they want 5 Sq Ft. Next they say my heating and cooling system needs to be upgraded for the larger volume in the house.
Now they want my original blue prints of the house, which I don't have, and would have to pay for, to continue on with the project. Enough was enough! I cried Uncle and told them to cancel the whole project. The price just outweighed the value. Two flat fifteen foot walls with all windows for $11,000, I don't think so! :roll:  :roll:  :roll:
So ……. now what? Well it's back to the drawing boards. I will have to rethink everything. I'm not giving up and throwing in the towel, just taking a step backwards and get more training.

I think I will give a computer program a really good test. :idea:

Wayne :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Don't do anything rash Wayne. The old saying "where there's a will there's a way" was never truer than under your circumstances.

Posted
Rating:
"Never surrender." Winston Churchill.

:twisted:
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.