H0 Scale - South Shore Line

Posted
Rating:
Kato Locos :?:  I don't even remember seeing that brand. I will begin looking (and asking) around for it.

Novice:
Would you please explain to me exactly how the "back EMF" feature works :?:  :?: You say it will negotiate inclines without adjusting by me, how does it do that?
Just call me "NextNovice" :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

Boilermaker69:
16 Locos, WOW :!: When I began looking for engines I really liked Atlas, and was talked into Athearn by local shop. Will take another look, thanks.

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Do a google search on "Kato model Railways"  Ebay sometimes have them for sale.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~…anufact/kato/katopage.htm
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Wayne

Here is a link to one of the main UK suppliers, which will give you an idea:

mgsharp.com

You asked about Back EMF:

Trains slow down when going up grade and speed up when going down grade. It all has to do with physics. Further, our model trains sometimes stop when trying to roll slowly across a turnout or other rough trackage. Back-EMF control provides a solution for this.
With DCC, the decoder can measure the electric motor's speed with something called Back-EMF, and apply power accordingly to keep the motor's speed stable. The result can be a train that will maintain the same speed regardless of the grade, number of cars being pulled, or condition of trackage.

When an electric motor's armature turns, a certain amount of electrical kick-back is generated. This kick-back is called Electro Motive Force (EMF) or Back-EMF. The faster the armature turns, the more EMF is produced. This voltage can be measured to determine how fast the motor is going and can be used to control the speed of the motor - like cruise control. Some manufacturers simply call it Back-EMF control and some people call it Cruise Control. Digitrax calls it Scalable Speed Stabilization.

Hope this helps

Novice

Posted
Rating:
That is very interesting :!:  :!:  Cruise control for a locomotive. Thanks for the explanation, it really helped. :lol:
I can't help but wonder why I haven't heard about it from the local model train shops I've been visiting :?:  :?:

Thanks Novice

Wayne

This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
i think with EMF its a question of if you don't ask for it you won't get it. i use hornby elite and when i ask for a decoder i always get pushed toward hornby decoders.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I talked with the builder today and he says he should have the required permits in a few days. So I asked if he was ready to start construction immediately and he said yes. Should have gotten it in writing. :cry:
All the windows and the door he now has in stock, so hopefully, once he begins building the wall he should be done in a week. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Now you all know as much as I do.

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Just remember to record it all on camera Wayn. It will be very interesting, Before, building work commences, building complete, layout started etc. etc. That's a completely new way to start the "building" part of a layout thread :!:  :!:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Document, document, document, that's what I intend to do. I'm even doing a spreadsheet that will list everything I purchase, tools, materials, etc. along with their cost. I will probably bore everyone to death will all the pictures I intend to post. :wink:
I'm even thinking about tracking the amount of time I spend doing the whole layout. I wrote a macro in Excel a few years back that tracks the time a file is open, so all I have to do is open the file then go work on the layout and when I'm done working just close the file and it records the time interval.
Are we all not in the information age :?:

Wayne

Posted
Rating:

Wayne Williams said

Document, document, document, that's what I intend to do. I'm even doing a spreadsheet that will list everything I purchase, tools, materials, etc. along with their cost. I will probably bore everyone to death will all the pictures I intend to post. :wink:
I'm even thinking about tracking the amount of time I spend doing the whole layout. I wrote a macro in Excel a few years back that tracks the time a file is open, so all I have to do is open the file then go work on the layout and when I'm done working just close the file and it records the time interval.
Are we all not in the information age :?:

Wayne

Scary!  :shock:  Do you have any way of recording how much time you spend opening and closing the files?   :roll:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I wouldn't want to know exactly how much money I spend on my hobby (and nor would I want my wife to know the precise figure!!)  :shock:

If I knew how many hours I have spent so far on, for instance, just my goods shed project, I probably would have given up by now.

As far as I'm concerned, one can have too much information!  :roll:

Still, each to own.  :roll:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Perry

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

Posted
Rating:
Simply put, Wayne - what if all that information were to fall into the wrong hands :?:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Posted
Rating:
I'm not too concerned about letting my wife see the cost involved. She is a quilter! I don't mean she makes a quilt here and there, she makes four to five quilts at a time. So if I don't ask…….she can't ask.
As far as time is concerned, that's why I'm doing this in the first place. With what is on the TV these days, (not worth watching :evil: ), I decided to find something to do with all those hours I used to sit and watch the tube. I picked this hobby for 2 reasons. 1) My Dad is doing it and I've enjoyed watching his layout develop, and 2) It is a hobby that for all practical purposes never gets completed. Always something to work on. :lol:

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Looks like you have some sound philosophy there, Wayne - go for it :!:

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Does your Dad fancy joining a UK forum Wayne? :roll:  :wink:
Can't blame me for trying folks. :wink:

Posted
Rating:
Robert
Believe it or not but Mom and Dad just left here after spending two weeks away from their Northern Indiana weather. He spent several hours at my computer on this forum doing a lot of reading on how to do different things. He is just now getting hooked up to high speed internet at home. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him in the next month or two. Especially once I begin posting pictures of my layout being built.

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Hey, I was only joking, well partly, that would be fantastic Wayne. You might just let him know, in passing of course, how welcome he would be.

Posted
Rating:
Father and son on the same Forum :?:   That sounds brilliant to me :!:

Posted
Rating:
Couldn't think of anything else to put in this thread, so I decided to let you see what I'm up against right now. This is a picture of the "Room" to be. As you can see it's still connected to the outside. :evil:  :evil:
I tried not to show you the "Sunny Blue Skies" but it couldn't be helped.:lol:
There will be a 42" high by eight foot long "Knee Wall" that will be located at the back of the two chairs that are shown. The Knee Wall will sort of form the room for the layout. The construction wall that will enclose the room will be under that beam (top of photo) and will be all windows. I didn't want to loose that view :!:
By the way I talked with my Dad tonight and he may be joining the forum sooner than I thought. (I told him if he wanted to see pictures of the construction he could find them here) :wink: :wink:

Unfortunatel this picture was accidentally deleted by Wayne and has been lost forever. :cry:  :cry:

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
That looks good Wayne :D Perfect in fact for your layout.
I have always been amazed how people clutter up potentionally great Train Layout rooms in their houses with furniture which they will probably never use :P
Why have a second lounge room when you can have a second train room :D  

Darryl
PS never show a train modeler an empty room as he will get idea's. :wink:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Wayne, that looks terrific and just think of the light it will let onto your layout - fantastic. Good luck with the project and please keep us all informed. :D

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Yes that's a top spot, with loads of natural light.  Love it!

Mike
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.