H0 Scale - South Shore Line

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Now I don't know if it's the Fat Controller having one of his senior moments Wayne but there seems something not quite right about your diagram but it's probably part of your "artistic liberties". The straight lines inside the border of the room on the LH side, the top and the RH side are tracks and when you come down to the bottom of the RH side that looks like an impossibly tight curve, even though it's shown as a corner on the diagram. None of the straight bits I am querying have the sleeper dashes on them and that threw me for a bit. Or have I got it all wrong, again. :roll:
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Bob, Nope your not confused, it's my sense of complexity. What I'm trying to show there is……I'm not sure even how to say it. The solid line between the two tracks is the perimeter of the baseboard top. The outside track is below the baseboard top and is running outside of it. My intention here is to show two trains running around the outside of the mountain, the left hand track (zero elevation) is 8 1/2 inches below the right hand track (8 1/2 inch elevation) and thus farther down the mountain side. I've decided I want to "Hide" the edge of the baseboard top with scenery that extends down several inches to help give depth to the layout. It's difficult to draw in just a plan view Bob, but you've got a good eye :!:  :!:  :!:
As far as the impossibly tight curve goes, that's probably my artistic liberties. The spacing of the track is definetly not to scale and thus the inside radius' are looking tighter than they actually are. I'm hoping that all of the curves are 18" or more, at least that's my goal. I'm pretty sure I can adjust the perimeter shape to accomodate that.

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Wayne, I think I understand what you are saying and it should work ok.  It might help if you draw each of the rails and the terrain boundaries in different colours.

In response to your earlier thoughts about whether to go DC or DCC my view is that it would be quite simple to wire this layout for DCC. In fact with the scissors crossing it may even be simpler than DC.  Also you will only need one controller and there is no need to isolate any of the track with DCC.  If I have got it right, the track is essentailly two loops and two sidings, which in DCC terms is very straight forward.  You would just need to make sure that there is power going to all of the main running lines and have feeds going to the ends of each of the two sidings.

Novice

Posted
Rating:
Bob,
You aren't going to believe this, but I woke up last night about 3:00 am thinking about what you said, and I do now agree with you that there is a mistake with the solid line on the right side of my layout. :oops:  Got to go to Church this morning, but I will get it corrected and re-posted as soon as possible.
Thanks, :P
Wayne

This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Ah, so there's hope for the Fat Controller yet Wayne? :lol:  :wink:

Posted
Rating:
OK, here is the corrected layout sketch, thanks to "The Fat Controller", maybe everyone else can now understand what I'm trying to do.
Does this look more workable Bob :?:

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I'm sorry Wayne but that outer loop doesn't seem to have any way of getting on or off it.

Posted
Rating:
Bob,
This layout basically goes around in a circle. The outer loop train can be sent into the inner loop on the left hand side. The inner loop I will probably just place a train on it going in the opposite direction as the outer loop. If I have to I can park the inner train in the siding at the left, and run the outer  train in then back out again. I know there is not much engineer work on this design because that's not where I want to go with the modeling. My goal is to get the scenery as good as I can get it and watch the trains run.

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
If I may throw in my two cents worth, Wayne - I have no experience of Athearn locomotives but the catalogue range looks quite impressive and very reasonably priced.  This summer I did buy some freight rolling stock (flat-beds, hoppers ect) and have been very happy when play, sorry - testing on my test track.  They are solidly built and look the part.  Also everyone I have spoken to speaks well of Athearn kit.  It's not the top of the line stuff, but simple value for money.  And I like that :D

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
As Tim said, Athearn represents good value for money. Their locos are said to be noisy.  I don't have any, so I can only pass on what I've heard.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Do your local stores have a piece of track where you can test before you buy Wayne? That would give you some idea of the noise levels.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

Wayne Williams said

Glad that diagram help you Bob, wish I could "See" what's going on! When I look out into my Train Room, I'm still looking outside. The last I heard from the construction crew they were waiting on permits from the county. Maybe I will take a few pictures of the construction once things get started and post them. I'm getting anxious to begin, but can't do a thing. I've been traveling around my area visiting Model Train stores (5 in all), and have enjoyed that. Ran two tanks of gas through the car doing it too.
I've been looking trains over at each store, I seem to like what I see of the Athearn line. Anyone have any comments concerning them?

Wayne

Athearn locos are good value but they are a little noisy.  Atlas are well worth looking at as well.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the comments.
In answer….my local shop does have a track where I can test run the loco's, which I will now do. In fact when I do this I will have them test a few different brands at the same time just to hear the noise difference. Maybe I'll do that…………..OK maybe tomorrow :!:  :!:  :!:

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Although I don't own any, I have seen a few Atlas locos and have been impressed :!:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I've been looking at Bachmann, Atlas, and Athearn. These three seem to be the common brands around my location. Really all three are priced about the same. I had found a Bachmann starter set a couple of weeks ago with two engines, four cars, 1 amp DCC controller, some kind of easy snap ballasted track 36x56 (inches) for $150.00. Had to grab myself by the boot straps to get out of there without buying it. I feel I need to support the closest model train shop to me with my purchases. The shop with the starter set was an hour and a half drive just to get there. :cry:
My local model shop seems to be pushing (maybe nudging is a better word) me towards the Athearn line. Will wait and see what the noise test produces though.

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Wayne - sorry to be so apparently biased, but when it comes to Bachmann versus Athearn, Bachmann wins every time , hands down. (Now I can speak from locomotive experience :wink: )

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I realise things are straying away from discussion about your layout, but I think it warrants discussion.
 My vote is for Atlas. To my mind they win hands down for quiet, silky-smooth performance and plenty of good detail. The Atlas Trainman series has less detail and a lower price tag, but the same drive mechanism. We have one Trainman RS36 and it runs superbly.
 We have two Lifelike Proto 2000 locos here as well. They have very good detail - maybe a bit more plasticky here and there - smaller flywheels than Atlas, and a reputation for developing cracked gears [easily renewed]
 They draw more current to start up, they stop more suddenly and they don't cope as well on inclines. Their pulling power is inferior to Atlas. They are every bit as quiet, however, and crawl almost as well.  Still a good buy though, and slightly cheaper. They'd be my second choice.  Many lines are now discontinued :(

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Now were getting somewhere :!:  That's two votes for Atlas :!:  I truly believe you guys above my local seller, (key word here is seller). Whatever they push is more than likely their highest profit margin also.
My layout is mostly hills, anywhere from 5 to 8 1/2 inches of uphill slope in about eight foot of travel. So, I really want an engine that can PULL  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:
The detail is nice, but the PULL is better for what I'm looking for. Maybe I should have my local model shop set up a test of the three for pulling power :?:  :?:  Food for thought :wink:
Thanks guys for the advice :)

Wayne

PS: I like the quiet also, because there's someone else that lives here :roll:

Posted
Rating:
Wayne, to add to the confusion I would take a look at Kato locos. This Japanese firm does an extensive range of HO US locos and they run like a dream.  I watched a Kato switcher operating on a layout at an exhibition recently and it 's performance was outstanding. If you go DCC and you plan to have inclines on your layout make sure you install decoders with a back EMF feature.  This will ensure your loco will smoothly negotiate the inclines without having to adjust your controller or loco speed.  Also when selecting your locos, again if going DCC, think about which ones offer the best DCC features - lights, sounds etc, obviously balanced against performance and price.

Novice

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

Wayne Williams said

Now were getting somewhere :!:  That's two votes for Atlas :!:  I truly believe you guys above my local seller, (key word here is seller). Whatever they push is more than likely their highest profit margin also.
My layout is mostly hills, anywhere from 5 to 8 1/2 inches of uphill slope in about eight foot of travel. So, I really want an engine that can PULL  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:
The detail is nice, but the PULL is better for what I'm looking for. Maybe I should have my local model shop set up a test of the three for pulling power :?:  :?:  Food for thought :wink:
Thanks guys for the advice :)

Wayne

PS: I like the quiet also, because there's someone else that lives here :roll:

I have 16 locos of various makes, I rate them in order as:

1. Atlas
2. Athearn
3. Lifelike and Bachmann

Atlas is way ahead of the others, if expense is not an issue Kato make very good locos also.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.