Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Great Wayne - that is what it is all for!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=19]Marty[/user] wrote:
How did she handle the grades?

Marty, it handled them with no problem at all! :lol: The Loco has a 28 step decoder and it would go up all the grades set at 12. When I tried it set at 10 it completely stopped about six feet into a grade of about 12 feet long (2%). That is with three cars behind it.

I can also run it at the max speed (28) and it handles all the curves without a problem. There is one tighter curve yet untested, it's on the outer loop, so more testing to come.

Update: I cancelled my order for two 3-way points yesterday. They could not give me a delivery date for shipment, actually they laughed when I asked. So I will be doing some re-design on the layout to accommodate this change.

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Wayne - sounds good.  So how long [roughly] does it take to do a lap of the layout?

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Wayne, just a thought about your 3 way turnouts. I've had a quick look through the thread and I can't find what brand of track you are using. If it's Peco, it's probably as cheap to get them from the UK now with the £ vs $ rate (and I know a good supplier in Cornwall)

If it's Atlas, there must be an internet supplier in the US who can send them to you PDQ :question
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Just spent the last 15 minutes or so catching up on this thread Wayne.  It's become a great "start to action" thread and makes a brilliant read :thumbs  Well documented and photographed at every stage - encouragement to the likes of me !!

It's a fantastic feeling to get your first loco running - and a credit to your forethought and careful planning that it went without a hitch.

Really looking forward to seeing it develop.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Wayne

I'm really sorry that I missed the party, it's a great moment in our life when the loco run's for the first time, and the fact that it did not derail, is testament to you building and design quality's, it all looks fine, and a real credit to you, whats next?, will you add some of the buildings that you have already built, or will you ballast, wire the points, or start on the scenery, and when you have finished with my loco can send it back :mutley

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
:doublethumb Congratulations Wayne .looks good from here.:cheers

reg

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
As far as I can see, Atlas do not nake 3 way points. Shinohara do but they are expensive, Walthers in the USA carry Peco of course.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
im pretty sure Wayne is using Peco 100 track so yes they make them but obviously Waynes local model shop is unsure when one would turn up.

Yes they are available mail order but the postage costs for 1 point probably would be expensive.

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
As Wayne wants 2 points (both 3 way) the cost of postage is not going to be huge. I've sent quite a few railway items to the States and it's suprisingly cheap for packages under 1kg, not much more than to mainland Europe. I really don't think there will be much extra cost to getting them locally, especially when the money rate is taken into account.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I've just read back through this whole thread (:shock:) and Wayne is using Peco Code 100 track.

Wayne, it has dawned on me this evening how much has happened during the last twelve months. In December 2007 you were telling us of all the building and code problems that the new room was creating - and now, a year on, trains are running :cool::cool:

Well done :exclam And a good example of patience and well-thought out planning :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Thanks everyone for you kind comments! I'll try and answer some questons here now.

MikeC, I will have to time it going around the inner loop going at it's slowest non-stop speed (12). I'll let you know.

Alan, What's next you ask, well I suppose it really needs the rest of the track laid and also wired. That in itself will be a big job. I think I will be intermixing working on the Proctor farm though. Just to break things up a little.

Jeff, I am using Atlas Flex Track Code 100. I have cancelled the order for the two 3 way points. Done deal! Tomorrow I will be going to the local train store and buying three more turnouts, 2-right hand and 1-left hand. Should have no problem accomplishing my goals with them.

Tim, Your right it has been a wild year. During the summer I thought I would never get back to work on it. The last seven weeks has been like a whirlwind.

To the train store tomorrow! May even take a look at a few more cars!!!

Wayne

:Happy   :Happy   :Happy

This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Sorry, Wayne - I got your track and code wrong.  Must have misread your intentions somewhere:oops:

Posted
Rating:
No problem Tim, I do it all the time! I think I call it senior moments?

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
MikeC,
OK, I did a time test around the inner loop, pulling the same three cars, here are the results:

Speed Setting——–Time
         28 (Max) —–              34 Seconds
         12 ————                       1 min. - 16 Seconds
         11————-                          1 min. - 40 Seconds
         10 ————                         Stopped on the up hill

I feel that I am getting some pretty severe voltage drop on the system, after all it's just the rail joiners making the connection, plus my electrical connection point is on the outer loop which probably doesn't help either. It will be interesting to see how this changes once the bus and feeder wires have been installed.

At the speed number 11, going up the hill, I could have painted the rails in front of the Loco and the paint would have been dry by the time it got there. :shock:

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Wayne once you have the bus connected you will see a vast improvement
i had the same when i was testing mine.

:thumbs;-):lol::lol::lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=22]Wayne Williams[/user] wrote:

At the speed number 11, going up the hill, I could have painted the rails in front of the Loco and the paint would have been dry by the time it got there. :shock:

Wayne
Don't you just love the torque from these Bachmanns Wayne, even my little n gauge stuff crawls using just DC
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=22]Wayne Williams[/user] wrote:
No problem Tim, I do it all the time! I think I call it senior moments?

Wayne
Or in my case that extra glass of vino :roll::roll::roll:
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.