H0 Scale - South Shore Line

Posted
Rating:
"OK, I've got that off my chest, (sorry Marty) so on with the show."

That's OK mate, I was going to comment on your paitence but guessed that all those who have followed your silo  build will have guessed that Tim already has you tagged for sainthood. :lol:

I too had to patch and paint my layout room before I started on the base boards…. but it WAS worth it :cool wink

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I just have to hang in there, because I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel, (or is that a light in the tunnel). I had hoped to have this finished is just over two weeks, but….. well I guess I'm getting older, because things just seem to take longer to do anymore.

I think I should be done around the middle of October, give or take a day or two. Then, it's on with the layout. :Happy   :Happy   :Happy

Wayne :Happy   :Happy   :Happy  :wow

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Wayne,
         Thats a great space you have there with fantastic natural light and a great view.You are absolutely right to get it as good as you can before proceeding.You patience WILL be rewarded.
  I'm in a similar position waiting to get my loft sorted out ready for "the ultimate layout."
  Good things come to he that waits!!!

cheers mate,John.B.

Posted
Rating:
rjr
Guest user
matt is right Petermac, get a cheap system. A second hand Bachmann EZ (new go for about £30) or a Select and try it. It really can be as simple as two wires to the track. Decoders are easy to wire for anyone with simple soldering skills on older locos or plug in on newer ones.
You know we we all answer your questions !!!

John
RJR
RJR
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
More got done today than I thought I would get done. The drywall is in place, waiting for the tape and mud. Here's a look at the entire construction area. It's a little dark as I forgot to get the picture while the sun was still up.

And here is a close up of the area that is to be the train room.

I will begin the tape and mudding on Monday, with Friday as the deadline to have it finished. Always have to have a deadline! :pedal:pedal:pedal

Wayne

This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Wayne when you say mudding i assume what you mean skimming the plasterboard with plaster? obviously tapeing the joints first.

I forsee baseboards within a week :lol::lol:

cheers Brian.W
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Yes Brian, over here we call it taping and mudding the joints of the drywall sheets. I don't have too many joints to do, but there are some. There are lots of screw heads to cover up though.

Baseboards in a week, I wish! I guessing I will have this project done between the 13th and 15th of October. Then I need to take a few days off and rest the body. I've been working on this hard for two and a half weeks now, and I can feel it just about everywhere.

I do want to take another look at my layout diagram, before building the baseboards, just to make sure you guys haven't changed my mind again. :cool wink  :cool wink  :cool wink

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Look at the layout plan carefully Wayne make sure you allow plenty of space for possible expansion otherwise you will be asking to borrow Tim`s axe

cheers Brian.W
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Well at least the axe would come with lots of experience! :mutley

If there is anything that I have learned on this forum, it's to get all the "Brains" on here to look at the layout and to "Listen" to what's said! Then hopefully those costly mistakes won't happen.

So within the next two weeks (hopefully) I will be posting the layout schematic for everyone's review.

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Wayne:
I posted some transitional photos to my thread showing some of the steps in adding steam and smoke to photos.  It is done with Photo Studio software.  I will at some point see if I can put together a tutorial on how to do this.

Looks like your going have a wonderful layout room down there in Florida.  Having day light is realy great…my layout is the basement and sometimes I feel like a mole.  

Did you happen to attend N.D. in South Bend…

Regards,
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=260]sdjr-usa[/user] wrote:
Did you happen to attend N.D. in South Bend…

I was born in South Bend, but did not attend Notre Dame. I still get back there just about every year. Mom and Dad live 10 miles west of South Bend (where I grew up).

I too will enjoy the light coming in those windows, but not the heat. I intend to put on some film that will reduce the heat transfer, and alas some of that light, hopefully not too much though.

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Wayne:

Yes! Those cars on my main street are on the wrong side…haven't own a car with a right hand drive in a number of years (will have that straighten out soon).

Rode these as a kid from Lake Forrest, Illinois (Lake Bluff Station Stop) to down-town Chicago loop.

The Chairmen of one of my companies is such a Notre Dame football fan that he bought a home right by the school…never misses a home game (he, his wife and two sons are all grads of the school)….wow!

Regards
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Notre Dame is like that. They fill up every hotel room in South Bend on game day, every game day. They have very faithful alumni.

Neat picture of the South Shore, just the way I remember it.

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Well, the day finally has come when I can say It's Finally Done!

I'm finished with all that work of building the room to hold the layout. Now my focus turns to. TRAINS!!!!!

Wayne

Last edit: by Wayne Williams

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Such a nice job seems a shame to put a layout in there :thud

I'll get my coat:oops:;-)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ken
Inactive Member
Beautiful job Wayne, incidentally have you seen the various replies to your Baseboard posting?   Haven't seen any comments from you and am wondering if you overlooked it?:???:

Ken.

'It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Swing'

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Good job there wayne. Now the fun begins, so let's have the schematic and it's "All Systems Go".
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well done Wayne, now you have a nice big EMPTY space to fill.

Go to it young man :doublethumb  :doublethumb:doublethumb

'Kev

Posted
Rating:
[user=34]Ken[/user] wrote:
 incidentally have you seen the various replies to your Baseboard posting?   Haven't seen any comments from you and am wondering if you overlooked it?:

Sorry for not posting there, but I did read all of them. I decided that I should post a track plan so everyone could be on the "Same Page". It has just taken longer than I thought it would. I could get it done tonight though, hopefully!

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Lovely room Wayne, now shall we say Tuesday the 21st October 2008 for the first pic of the baseboards in there, :thumbs:lol:

Phill
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.