Styrene Tree

Posted
Rating:
I see what you mean. It looks like you have used a slightly lighter shade of green for the scatter than what you used on the tree. Is that true?

All I have in stock here is a slightly darker green than what I have on the tree. I doubt if that would look as good. I will have to go shopping again!!!!

Thanks Jeff.
Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Correct, Wayne. The scatter is lighter (as is new growth on any plant) so it gives the impression of recent growth on the tree. It's surprising how much better just a little thing like that makes the whole look.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I spray mine with hair lacquer and sprinkle it from above with Fine Turf Yellow Grass, using a nutmeg shaker which had holes about 2 mm in diameter.  The yellow looks like new growth and it can be done with the tree in situ if you want to.  Basically the same idea as Jeff.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Very nice work, Wayne.

I have used the same foliage and I like it very much although it tends to get brittle after a while.

You could even apply small dabs of paint over the foliage ends to simulate new growth.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Wayne,

Looks pretty close to the tree to me, nice work.

If I could bounce back at you what you said to me when I did the Larch…

To get this…

to look more like this…

you might need to get the chainsaw out and trim it to shape a bit.

And… also to bounce back at you what you said to me…. It's your tree and I didn't suggest this :lol::lol::lol: It just depends on how accurate you want to be.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Wayne

Excellent, but I would agree with all the guys, it needs some lighter colour to bring the tree alive, and I also use Hair spray, works a treat

They really do bring the whole scene together :thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for all the comments. I agree with what you are all saying. Just need to decide which way to go.

Marty, now I know how hard it was for you to actually start trimming! :shock: I do agree with you though it does need some work in that area.

I am fighting a very bad cold or something right now, so it may well be a few days before I can feel like doing this. Can't even finish typing a sentence without grabbing for a tissue right now.

Wayne

This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Get yourself tucked up in a warm bed, take some paracaetamol with a very hot whisky toddy Wayne - work a treat :cheers

Take care - colds at this time of year need looking after.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Petermac! I slept most of this day away. I feel great when I'm sound asleep!

Wayne :cry:

Posted
Rating:
Get better soon mate, I'm three weeks clear of a recent winter cold, makes you appreciate being healthier.

Last edit: by Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
yep getting closer to the rum +blackcurrant weather, that`s my defence
system.

:doublethumb:mutley:mutley:cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
The antibiotics have kicked in and I am feeling a little better. At least now I can stay awake long enough to do something.

So I decided to trim the tree, thanks to Marty's advice, which was my advice, which means, I don't listen to my own advice!

Anyway the first photo shows just how much trimming I did.

As luck would have it, this time anyway, i had some Fine Turf Yellow Grass, so I sprinkled some, but not a lot over the tops of the branches. This is a very old tree (Maple) and does not get a lot of new growth anymore. It did help the looks of the tree though. So thanks everyone for the advice.

Well I guess that if anyone wants to know if a tree can be made from styrene strips, this should answer that question. You have a lot of versatility by using the styrene, because adding branches was very simple, just drill a hole and insert it.

One problem I found though was when trying to add smaller branches to other branches. The bond didn't hold very well. I may try combining other materials with the styrene, like wire maybe. I will have to do some thinking on that.

Still it was a great little project that I enjoyed working on.

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
we enjoyed it too Wayne,it all helps when we decide to have a go.

:doublethumb:lol::lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
A very nice tree you made there.
I know down at my shops a tree like that would cost almost a whole months of pocket money. Did that work out cheaper then buying a pre made one?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Great tree Wayne, :hmm

Lets see, I'll do you a deal, 20 of my twisted wire ones for 40 of your styrene ones. HO to N see? Equal amounts of materials :thumbs

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Isn't it just amazing how logic can look different from different directions! :mutley:mutley:mutley

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Well, it was worth a try :thumbs

Nice tree.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
A truly excellent result, Wayne :thumbs

Mike
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.