Styrene Tree

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
200 x 5 hours = 1,000 hours = 50 solid days work, not bad when you put it like that :roll::roll::roll:

Really great work Wayne

Like the rest I am looking forward to the next stage :thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Well now I know what a Liquid Amber is. Though I don't believe that is what the tree is. It's much taller than the 15 meters that the web site said it grows to. This tree is probably 20-22 meters high. I'll see if I can find out exactly what type tree is really is and let you all know.
I have my granddaughter today so not much will happen with those ten fingers around.

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Definitely another one for the Forum Index.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I wasn't suggesting you were wrong, Wayne. It's just that it reminded me of Liquidambars.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=2]Robert[/user] wrote:
Definitely another one for the Forum Index.

Bob, maybe you should wait until it's finished!

Unless someone is looking for dead trees. :mutley:mutley:mutley

Wayne

This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Wayne there's no way on earth that this project isn't going to finish up looking good and worthy of the Index.

Posted
Rating:
[user=2]Robert[/user] wrote:
Wayne there's no way on earth that this project isn't going to finish up looking good and worthy of the Index.
You'll note there's not one jot of pressure Wayne !! :roll::roll::roll::roll::thumbs:thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I don't put pressure on him Peter, he puts it on himself and that's why I know we will get a good result.

Posted
Rating:
You know I could stop right now and send it to MikeC, it would look perfect on his layout!

Don't get your hopes up Mike.:It's a no no

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Fine print! There's always fine print :sad:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Take your time Wayne you know the first tree will take the longest the other ones you will fly through.

Like a real tree they dont grow overnight

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=52]henryparrot[/user] wrote:
Take your time Wayne you know the first tree will take the longest the other ones you will fly through.

How right you are Brian. I have already realized that I assembled the tree in the wrong order. I started at the bottom with the larger branches and worked my way up from there. As I went up the lower branches got in my way. There was no place to hold on without branches in the way.

If I were to start at the top I could grasp the trunk all the way down. Just little things you learn as you go along.

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=22]Wayne Williams[/user] wrote:
[user=52]

If I were to start at the top I could grasp the trunk all the way down. Just little things you learn as you go along.

Wayne

:hmm:hmm:hmm
This is a model railway forum isn't it :roll:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=22]Wayne Williams[/user] wrote:
………………………………………I have already realized that I assembled the tree in the wrong order. I started at the bottom with the larger branches and worked my way up from there. ………………………………..

Wayne
Ah but that's exactly how REAL trees grow Wayne. :hmm:thumbs:thumbs:thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
This is the foliage that I have chosen to use for the Styrene Tree. As you can see it is from Woodland Scenics and is called Fine-Leaf Foliage (Light-Green). It comes all interwoven together and must be separated into individual branches or clumps.

Here I have done some separating. Any green leaves that fall off are collected and placed in the white tray for later use. Even the dead looking branches are kept. I can use them later on the layout somewhere I'm sure.

The tree is now coated with "Hob-e-Tac" adhesive from Woodland Scenics. Believe it or not, but it will dry to a clear state. It stays very sticky for life, so you can take your time placing the leaves and smaller branches where you want them. I must now wait until at least three quarters of the white color disappears. It doesn't get sticky until it is clear. That should take about twenty minutes to a half hour.

I may be pushing it a little because the glue is not totally clear, but so far it is very sticky and is working fine. The thicker areas (white) I am trying to stay away from for the time being.

I would guess that I am just about half way done in this picture. It is coming along fine as far as I can see. The places where you can still see the adhesive (upper branches where the leaves are already on) are not as visible as they look in this picture. The sun is shining through the window right on it and really makes the glue look white. I'm going to try and add some "Loose" leaves from the white tray to those areas, maybe that will help.

I'm sure that once all of the branches are covered it will look super. I am up to six hours now on this styrene tree. I would estimate two more hours before I can call it done. We will see!

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Wayne ive used the fine leaf foilage it is very good stuff

The tree is certainly starting to come alive now hopefully that glue will turn clear

its a pity that foilage isnt cheap that way we could buy a big bag dunk the tree trunk in glue then shove the gluey tree in the sack hopefully by the time we pulled it out it would be mostly covered :lol:

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
At this moment Wayne, I'm not saying anything - I'll make my comments when the foliage is all in place.

(:wow:wow:wow:wow:doublethumb)

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I remember when I was young, and a boatie, there was a saying, "If God had wanted us to have plastic boats, He would have made plastic trees." (Maybe that should have been She) . . . anyway Wayne - it looks like you've done it.  It's going to be great. :exclam 

Posted
Rating:
Well the leaves are on the Styrene Tree. It has changed the shape from what it was with only the branches. Not a whole lot, but it just doesn't look the same. I think I would have to reduce the height of the styrene branches to compensate for the added leaves and small branches from the Woodland Scenics Kit.
The instructions now call for sprinkling on of some fine turf (green) then spraying with Scenic Cement. I am going to think about that for awhile though. Has anyone ever done that?

Here is the tree sitting in place on the Proctor Farm.

This close up shows it from a different angle.

If my memory severs me correctly, it was Marty who was concerned about the styrene being able to hold up to the weight of the leaves. As you can see  Marty, there was absolutely no problems in this area. So you can rest at ease.

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Wayne, the tree is looking good, I think the experiment has worked!!

Regarding the application of fine turf, I should think that the principle is almost the same as the way I highlight my tree tops. Although I use Busch "Leaf Covering material 1311" I use it in almost the same way as you are suggesting.

I spray the finished tree canopy with hairspray (or you could use scenic cement) and then lightly dip the tops of the canopy into the material. I find that doing it this way gives a more natural covering. The effect is to give the impression of small shoots of new growth and as long as it's not overdone can be very effective.

Here's one of mine completed :-

you can just see the highlighting effect that the fine scatter gives you.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.