A Small, Rural Pond

Posted
Rating:
#1211 (In Topic #314)
This was first posted on the previous forum in May 2007, describing the creation of a small, rural pond on the old Wenchoster layout.

The area of the pond had been previously decided, and had been left unpainted in the centre of the layout.  It was time to start digging!

Removing the 2cm thick foam was easy, cutting down with a small serrated knife blade.  I wasn’t too concerned about the accuracy of the pond’s outline or the smoothness of the edges, reminding myself that this was a farm pond and not a swimming pool!

The next, and all important, step was adding the base colour to the bottom of the pond. Getting this right makes a big difference.  Pond waters are never blue, so to be realistic I had to create a green-based ‘yuck.’  I mixed various acrylics including burnt umber, dark green and grey to create a soup.  Four coats of this were painted on, and I made sure that each coat was totally dry (and not just to the touch) before applying the next one.  (Sadly this photo doesn’t do the colour justice)

To create the water effect there are many commercially-made products out there, but I decided to use clear marine varnish.  The one I chose was low vapour – a good idea if you are modeling in a confined space such as a basement or attic.  

This part of the process was slow.  To create a depth effect multiple coats are necessary.  I liberally brushed the varnish across the pond, and then allowed each coat to dry for 24 hours before applying the next one.  I has happy after the fourth coat, but aware that four days had passed!  Best to have other projects on the go …

Once happy with my water it was time to start on the banks.  Sealing them with brushed PVA glue is a good way to start (thanks, Perry!) Once dry they can be painted.  I chose an acrylic medium brown, taking care not to apply too much at once and running down onto the water.  Two coats were enough.

When this paint had dried I then painted the banks with white glue and carefully applied the earthy ground cover.  I used a commercially-made cover made by Walthers Inc.

I allowed all this to thoroughly dry for a few hours, and then started to add the vegetation.  I glued various shades of reindeer moss/lichen using dabs of white glue, making sure that some of the growth trailed down towards the water.

Then added a few trees.  These ones are an assortment of smaller, Woodland Scenics trees which simply push into the foam scenery.

And that was it.  A small pond (my first water feature) but easy to make and very satisfying to look at.  When I came to dismantle the layout it was the most difficult bit to destroy!  (Also the water came away from the baseboard in one solid piece.  Now that’s varnish!)

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Tim

This is a great article and it is good to see it back on the forum.

Novice

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I looked for this myself Tim. Where was it exactly, can you give me a link?

Posted
Rating:
Forgive me, Bob - I don't quite follow you :?

Posted
Rating:
Great! It's back!

I was hoping you were going to be able to retrieve this for us, Tim.

Thank you. :D

Perry

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

Posted
Rating:
My pleasure, Perry :D

Posted
Rating:
Wahaaaaay its back cool. Now i can save it in me file for later, Thanks Tim.
Phill

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Yes Welcome back rural pond!

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
It's ok Tim I have found it.

Posted
Rating:

Robert said

It's ok Tim I have found it.
Sorry, Bob - you meant on the old forum :oops: I couldn't find it and simply assumed that it had gone the way of so much stuff lost.

The new text (which I put together this afternoon) is, I think, shorter and simpler than what I remember of the old :)

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
do we get a fisherman on your new latout?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Matt said

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Well, maybe - when I do my next water feature :!:  There are plenty of ponds on the Outer Cape, and fishing is a popular sport … I also want to create a cranberry bog :shock:  (There's a nice "How to make a bog" in the latest MR magazine :wink: )

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Nice one, Tim. A top result, and very easy to follow.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Nice to see the old pond again Tim :)

Brian(G)

Posted
Rating:

rector said

Matt said

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Well, maybe - when I do my next water feature :!:  There are plenty of ponds on the Outer Cape, and fishing is a popular sport … I also want to create a cranberry bog :shock:  (There's a nice "How to make a bog" in the latest MR magazine :wink: )

"HO" scale cranberries - now there's something to look forward to  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Glad the pond didn't go down the drain !!

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hey Tim :D If you want you can have ducks on your pond :lol: using the new Faller station canopy with moving people on it :P You would just need to use the bottom part with the motor and magnets underneath your pond :roll:

Darryl
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Have you got shares in Faller by any chance, Darryl?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Perry

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
ummm :oops: the way i am buying their models :D i should buy shares i think :roll:
It is just that ever since i 1st bought their working showground rides etc, i have been fascinated with models that work. And that is why i have decided once again to install their car system, this time with Buses driving around.
2 weeks ago it was just going to be trains then due to what i saw EX-Novice write somewhere now i am going full out on it :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Darryl
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Tim  
My first pond was a failure.  I copied your article.  with this info I will try again. Very informative. Easy to follow.

Paul Williams
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Best of luck with it, Paul :!:   Perhaps you could let us know how you are progressing (with photos :?:  :wink: )

My pond had its own shaky moments, but I was very pleased with the result.  It also proved that such a feature could be made without spending too much money - using what was already in the shed, so to speak.

When my new layout allows I hope to recreate this pond :!:
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.