CORK

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I'm also in the 3.2mm camp….seems fine and my test piece was done with it and the shoulder looked good.

I am also thinking of laying a complete layer of tiles as a base on top of my modules to allow 3.2mm or so for running point/signal cable runs for manual operation. The track bed itself would be another 45mm wide strip on top of this.
The 3.2mm depth may also help with building/platform mounting adjustment etc.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
i have seen these cork rolls knocking about, are they any good? seem a cheaper option. if not who does the best deal?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Matt,

In my view they are great because you can cut them to virtually whatever size you want - they are usually 1 metre wide. :lol:  :lol:

I've laid yards of track with the stuff which is easily available here in Spain in rolls (I think they make it here) but that means that I cant help you with prices etc assuming you are in the UK.

The most interesting place I found the roll useful was in laying cork down at my 7 road station. I laid the whole width across the baseboard because I needed ballast almost level in the station area (and to put the platforms on) and then gradually cut the piece to form ballast under each track as it left the station area - easy.  :lol:  :lol:

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Several interesting things here -

Matt, the cork rolls available here are 50cm wide x 8m long - i.e. 4 sq.metres. They are avaialble in 2mm or 4mm thickness and are very slightly cheaper than the equivalent 300mm square tiles.  The tiles work out at 6 euros 50 per sq. metre and the rolls at 6 euros 15 per sq. metre.  If you've got a calculator, a euro is about 67p.  How does that compare with UK prices ?

Les, your rolls are wider than those I saw here - don't know where they come from but I suspect maybe the cork trees in Portugal. The quality of the cork looked identical to that of the tiles - nice and soft and fairly small grain so less likely to break out when cutting.  Are your rolls in both 2mm and 4mm thickness ?

Jeff - I just bought a couple of small packs of tiles - just a tad under 2 sq. metres to try.  I'm still not sure if 2mm will be thick enough to kill the sound on chipboard but I do understand what you say all about 4mm being too thick.  When I suggested double thickness, I was thinking about totally covering the boards with 2mm and then using 2mm as a track bed thus giving 4mm under the track - if you see what I mean  :roll:  :roll:

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
That should work out fine because it's under the track that you need that extra thickness and 4mm is better than 2mm, that's for sure.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Bob - I'll cover the board with the rolled stuff then use the tiles for the trackbed.  That will also give me the correct levels for the platforms etc. alongside the track.

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Sorry Petermac, I misunderstood you and thought that you were thinking of using 4mm, but only under the track.

Of course Bob is right, to use 2mm everywhere and then an extra 2mm under the track would be an excellent solution.
If I was starting again, I would do the same with my 3.2mm tiles :!:  :!:

It would be a good idea to accurately cut out the footprint of a building from the 2mm cork covering and sit the building into the cut out.
This would easily get rid of the join-line along the bottom of a building, that looks so unsightly untill scenically treated, although you would have to be careful not to "bury" your door sills below ground level :!:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
That's a good idea Jeff.  It may need a bit of forward planning because, at this moment, I don't know where my buildings are to go.  I'm thinking of using the Metcalfe station and platform kits - am I right in thinking the platforms can be curved ?  That bit at least, I can cut out.

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Petermac wrote  
Are your rolls in both 2mm and 4mm thickness

The roll I have used is 3mm thick, but I do know that there is a slightly thicker one which I presume is 4mm. Bob probably knows - are you thinking of nipping over the border to get some?   :lol:

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:

Les said

Petermac wrote  
Are your rolls in both 2mm and 4mm thickness

The roll I have used is 3mm thick, but I do know that there is a slightly thicker one which I presume is 4mm. Bob probably knows - are you thinking of nipping over the border to get some?   :lol:

Les

Les - could be !!  Everything seems cheaper in Spain than here - particularly the booze !!  We do get down to the border at Hendaye a couple of times a year to stock up and I may pop down as far as San Sebastian to see what's on offer.  The Med. coast of Spain is quite a bit further than the Atlantic coast for us - Barcelona is about 6 hrs via the motorway whereas Hendaye is only some 4 hours but the cork may be worth looking at !!!

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Four hour drive eh Petermac? What with fuel, tolls etc it may be worth you lining your suitcase with some from the UK - it is very light after all. :lol:  :lol:

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:
Can you imagine the comments Les, if I suggested we drive down to Spain so that I could buy some cork for my railway !!!!

No, I'd have to make some excuse like maybe "handbags are cheaper in Spain dear - would you like to go and have a look ?"  Quickly followed by "Oh good heavens ! - look there's a cork shop, what a surprise !!"

Do you think that might work ?  On the other hand, I may follow your suggestion and bring it back from the UK - as a lifejacket you'll understand - just in case the 'plane ditches !!!  I'm leaving on Tuesday until mid November so we'll see what transpires.

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Thasounds like a well used script Petermac.  Good luck in the UK.

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Les

Off tomorrow - back mid November

Petermac

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.