Tramway making

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member

Henryparrot attempt at producing a tramway

They seem fine running on the bench.  I have to assemble the tram, decoder, etc., so it might take a day or so before I can tell how they go in anger. :lol: 

I'll try to do the mod. pics tonight. :thumbs
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
OK.  Here I go using the new Upload, Brian.

Exploded view showing the tabs folded in.

Tabs folded up.

Tabs folded over.

Wires soldered on.  I didn't have orange and grey, so I used green and white; but the red and black are right.

Posted
Rating:
Wow !!  That's one of the quickest, niftyest "how to do it" post I've ever seen Max !!  Brilliant - even I could follow that……………….except - what's on the other end of the wires ? :roll::roll::roll::thumbs:thumbs:thumbs:thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, Peter.  The red wire goes to the right rail (looking at the model from behind) the black to the left rail, the green goes to orange and white goes to grey (on the decoder).  In this case they are all going to a sky hook. :lol: :lol:

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=52]henryparrot[/user] wrote:

Can you test yours see if they run smoothly and dont make a grindy noise and are not lumpy?

I've tested them and they run smoothly and only make the "electric motor" sound.  I did find, however that the track must not just be clean it must me sanitised.  The SPUDs have chrome plated wheels (possibly brass) and any trace of dirt makes them lumpy.  Not like your regular production locos at all.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Max with your last post i am seriously starting to wonder if this idea of a tram track over 28ft is practically feasable i know this tenshedo i have is not top notch but if you are saying track has to be sanitised for smooth running with your brand new ones i am seriously begiining to doubt if what i am planning will work properly without a lot of agro. The plan was a tram would auto run back and forth but with track needing to be impeckably clean this may be a non starter.

With this info i am now seriosly looking at alternatives before i do or purchase anything else

thanks for that info Max

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
You could consider running your tram track on DC Brian and add a Relco unit. :roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I don't know if you've had a look at my tram post, Brian, but one thing I have noticed is that my tram is light.  If you check out the photos, the thing is chockers with technology and no obvious room for ballast.

I suspect that if I could add some weight, it might perform a bit better, but where to put it?

It also occurs to me that your SPUD might just be worn out  - and you have only 4 wheels for pick up, whereas I have eight, so everything is working against you.

I have always wondered why more people don't run trams . . .  :pedal

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Peter i am actually running it under DC at the moment and its a total jumpy slug a bit beyond the help of a Relco unit.

Max

yes mine is certainly worn and not in tip top condition and it only picks up on that bogie what also does not help when in the tram it is very top heavy because the litlle blue tram overhangs the bogie by a long way each side so it does not take a lot to make it unstable with a double bogie like my red one that would not occur.

i have not given up on it yet but i do have an alternative wicked plan if i do

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
The problem with one SPUD would be same with these as well
 from Bachmann

pickup on 4 wheels & the slightest bit of crap on the track & they stop.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
. . . plus mine is running on DCC, which gives it an advantage.  After all that, I have to say that it runs well, but only if the track is clean.

Posted
Rating:
That's interesting Max - for a brand new motor it doesn't bode well for tram layouts.  I'm sure most of the earlier trams in UK only had 4 fixed wheels - bogie trams were much later and only because the bodywork was much longer.

Would it be possible to put some wiper pickups under the drivers compartment Brian ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Peter

Yes that thought has crossed my mind because as it is certainly my single bogie unit is on a hiding to nothing as it is

cheers Brian
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.