Posted
Rating:
Guest user

Henryparrot attempt at producing a tramway

That's coming on very nicely Brian. :doublethumb
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
That's the short view Mike!  The long view is looking to the left, and the curvature of the earth stops you seeing the other end of the layout!  
:lol::lol: Yup, that is some humungous project!

Brian, if you have any more to do….please consider trying this….I do admire your patience and foresight!

Get hold of some 'twin-core and earth' plastic covered mains 13 amp cable, pull out a length and in turn, strip off a length of the plastic covering from one conductor.

Run it through a greasy/vaseliney hand then slip it over the rail to form a smooth edged cover, which, when the P'filla is dry, will pull out with minimal damage to the filler and leave a flangeway beside the track…….

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Doug yes that is one way of doing it actually some earth sleeving is already slit so you could just slide it over withought cutting anything another way is plastic drinking straws .

For my puposes the string worked fine i have pulled most of it out now you still need to pick and scrape bits out but thats not a major problem.

As its so thick the polyfilla is still not compleely dry so tonight i used a stanley knife blade as a scraper that worked extremely well and will save an immense amount of sanding time i tried a truck in the track and it ran along it fine.

Have started to polyfilla the other side of the mine area now still another 8 ft to do yet.

I have bought a 250ml pot of sand colour acrylic artists paint plus some other colours in the 250ml pots a lot cheaper than buying the little tinlets the plan is the acrylic paint will create a concrete colour plus rust and grime with the other colours

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
There's 'More than one way to skin a cat…..' eh?

As they say over here, "Bon courage, mon brave!"

:thumbs

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I thought i would try one of my trams on the new trackbed to make sure it fitted ok

heres a piccy

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
That's grand Brian :doublethumb
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Yeah that's a beaut!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
And what should you choose but an ex London tram bought by Leeds City Corporation (a Feltham tram ?) when London got rid of her trams,  on the route to Crossgates very close to the route where the last ever tram ran.

That certainly brings back some wonderful and happy memories for me Brian - climbing the steep steps up onto the tram and standing watching the driver twirl his handles,  the hum of the motors and the swaying of the tram………………………..ahhh, those maybe were indeed the days. :roll::roll::roll::roll:

Now all you need is an old Morris 8 with it's front tyres firmly stuck in the tram tracks to complete the picture.  Does anyone remember those days when cars with narrow tyres suddenly veered off the road having got the tyres lodged in the tram tracks ?

When you've done the cobbles Brian,  it will look just great. :thumbs:thumbs  Even on tarmac roads, the area between the tracks was often cobbled to make relaying of tracks easier (I presume :roll:)

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Who makes that model, Brian?

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Cobbles Peter:shock: You will have me making a Hovis shop in a minute.

28ft of cobbles were discounted at an early stage if it were a straight track yes cobbles could be done with plasticard but mine is flexitrack with varying radius curves so its not practical to consider using plasticard.

I never saw Trams running i assume they were long gone before i was around

im not sure how long they were around for anyway i know they still have them at Blackpool but i assume they dissapeard from most places around or just after the second world war

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Corgi original omnibus Tim

cheers brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Nice a nice looking beast of a tram Brian and a lovely colour as well.

Phill

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Brian!  So this is, at the moment, a non-working tram track.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Yes Tim

But you can buy motor units for them

I do have 1 with a motor in i will probably give it a test on the track tommorow

Another thing i need to think of is a catenary system which i will have to scratchbuild it will only be aeshetic but i think it at leasts needs it

cheers Brian

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=52]henryparrot[/user] wrote:

cheers Brian
Is that perspex behind the tram holding the wall together I see Brian?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=52]henryparrot[/user] wrote:
I do have 1 with a motor in i will probably give it a test on the track tommorow
Looking forward to hearing how that turns out :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Alan

It is a acrylic sheet i had so i cut it to use as a smooth facing against the polystyrene incline sets its glued to the polystyrene the idea is this will become a stone wall all along this face i am hopeing to use some of the scalescenes papers for this because plasticard would be a bit expensive along this length.

On a larger layout unless you are a multi millionaire one has to compromise on some things due to cost so scalescenes will be used for that wall

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Scalescenes works for me Brian

As a backdrop I think it will be fine, the other good thing about their printed sheets, is they are quick to fix, which in turn improves the area very fast.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I understand that they will take a beetle motor ,but the chassis is a hard material to cut away.   I have a kit for the blackpool rocket tram .I was hoping to fit this with tiny led's multicolour and flashing . A party shop near me sells badges that are fitted with these ,i was hoping to take one or two apart  and fit these  to get an effect in the tram ,at the tail end would have to be red and orange to represent the exhaust flames .

Is there to be a tram module at the camborne show? If so i will try to produce this to be shewn there.

reg

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Nice tram, Brian.  The roadway is looking good as well.  I'm going to use Tenshodo SPUDs for mine.  They seem popular with the tram fraternity here.  Are you going to model your overheads on any particular location?
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.