Adelaide Bay Tram

Posted
Rating:
#54451 (In Topic #3022)
Inactive Member

H Class 371

Moving on with my Odyssey in sound, it occurred to me that the next logical step would be to build a sound project with simple sounds.  As John Eastaff, the maker of JEM tram kits, lives in Adelaide, it seemed sensible to get one of his kits and build a tram, as the motors make almost no sound as they accelerate. 

Photograph inserted with permission of Steve McNicol railmac@westnet.com.au

These are H Class trams which ran from Adelaide CBD to Glenelg in Holdfast Bay on the coast to the west of the city.  They became known as the Bay Trams.  New streamlined (and airconditioned) trams have replaced them now.

This is the JEM kit unpacked from the box.  First job was to drill out the dummy headlights and drill the mounting holes for the tail lights.  Then I had to cut out the flash from the windows and carefully file them clean.

Then I painted the body, floor and front decks with etch priming undercoat.  This stuff sticks like the proverbial to a blanket.  Glue won't pull it off and paint flows nicely from the brush on to it.  It also makes the body shell impervious to light, as I will be having interior illumination.

In the meantime, I have visited the Tram Museum at St Kilda with my trusty TASCAM and made recordings of the hooter, gong and compressor.  The sound files have been uploaded on to my computer and will be added to the sound project in due course.

I have ordered two Tenshodo SPUDS (self propelled universal drives) and pantographs, which should be here in a week or so.  While I am waiting, I will install the interior lights, headlights and tail lights into the body shell.

I thought I would post this thread as I go, rather than all at once, as it promises to be quite big.  Watch this space. ;-)

Last edit: by MaxSouthOz

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Green with envy already, Max.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Love the prototype and the kit looks pretty accurate from the photographs.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Now I have to get one of those tascam digi recorders! Great project there Max looks like you got sorted ok with the pantograph. ;-)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Yes thanks, Dave.  Jim S-W put me on to a link for Eurorail Hobbies and More Inc, for the panto's.

There were so many different incarnations of the H Class, Bob.  There are several at the museum. There were also several other types over the years - all beautifully restored.  John has kits for many of them, including a Hobart tram.

I hope I don't get hooked. :thud

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
If they ever make a Brisbane tram I'll be hooked.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
My memories of riding the H class trams to or from Glenelg are that the traction motors were very loud, almost musical - a great sound, nontheless.

Mike, Gerry Weight, Weico Models here in Melbourne, made a Brisbane FM car some time ago. I'm not sure if it is still available currently.

Edit: No the Brisbane car is not currently listed. Here's the link to what he does have though. http://members.optusnet.com.au/~weicomodelsw/Trams4.htm

Last edit: by SRman

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
You're right, Jeff, particularly inside the tram.  Eventually I'll record the motors, but for now I'll have to be satisfied with the hooter, gong and compressor.  I'm begining to think I'm already on a tangent. :thud

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Max

Thats a great Tram to model

The resin kit you have looks very nice and crisp that is going to keep you busy for a while are you going to do internal seating or is that not possible with the 2 spuds installed

So are you doing a seperate tram layout now then Max is so that will make a nice project on its own plus you sound project for the Tram will be unique.

Did you get transfers with the kit or is that something you need to source yet

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, Brian.  Yes, they are quite handsome and we have quite a few different makes and models at the Tram Museum to choose from.

There is room inside, but I'm a bit lazy when it comes to internals.  I just stick tracing paper to the inside of the window glass.  :oops:

I don't envisage doing a separate tram layout.  I have a 1.8 m shelf set up which should suffice for the video.  I guess I could put in a simple overhead on that.

I haven't thought about decals - especially now Jeff has got me thinking about the motor sound.

This is just a stepping stone on the way to understand the process of building sound projects from scratch, but as usual, I'll probably spend too much time tarting up the model. ;-)

Cheers  Max

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Jeff [SR] thanks for the info and link.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
This might be a useful link for those interested in Australian and other trams.

http://www.railpage.org.au/tram/museums.html

I've ridden the trams at Whiteman Park in Western Australia and made extensive use of the Melbourne tram system.

The kit looks a beauty Max, gunna look a bit weird backing in under the coal dumps though :thud :mutley

Last edit: by Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
The H-class trams are real beauties and the model looks as though it is going to be the same.

They certainly didn't look their age and if compared with the Melbourne W-class (of which the survivors are somewhat younger) then the Adelaide trams look well-kept and almost youthful.

They do make a lovely sound from the traction motors, there was a slight click of wheels on rails which has now gone since the line was rebuilt with modern track, and there is always an audible swish of the panto on the overhead as a tram passes.

We cannot yet get "warm oily" or "electrical" smells on the chip yet - but i they may come one day ;-).

Some detail from the superbly-kept interior of the H-class

The old Glenelg terminus which has been somewhat rebuilt since for the new S-class trams

And much the same sopt with one of the new trams

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I'm going to convert my shelf for the tram, Marty.  No dirty coal for this puppy!

Thanks for the photos, Rick.  I hope my detailing can do them justice!

The new trams are available in the local hobby shop . . .  :hmm

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Fascinating Max.  Amazing that in this country someone decided we don't need trams and scrapped the lot.

Even between Camborne and Redruth we had trams and at their peak 32 million journeys a year were made!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Chris.  Yes.  There were trams all over Adelaide and suburbs once.  Now they are extending them again.  'Round we go . . .

Posted
Rating:
[user=316]Gwiwer[/user] wrote:
Some detail from the superbly-kept interior of the H-class

… and we want to be able to see this detail through the windows Max :shock:  How long did you say this build was going to take you. :chicken

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thank you Martin. :pedal

Posted
Rating:
I'm watching with great interest Max.  Lovely looking kit although it seems from  Jeff's (SRMan) link that he's not producing them anymore. :roll::roll:

It looks a good crisp moulding and with the sound, should be a stunning model.

I remember riding on the last tram journey in Leeds out to Temple Newsham House -  the last city (I think) to have "proper" service trams - Blackpool has always had their promenade "attraction" trams.

Now, 40 odd years later, it seems they've discovered that they made a mistake scrapping them and they're making a comeback in some cities.  I wonder if railways will do the same. :roll::roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Max

I think it is a really good idea you doing the shelf layout and you should start it straight away.

use flexitrack to make some nice curves then you need to experiment which is the easiest way to make the track so its a roadway and the trams run fine on it.

When you have quickly sorted that out post here with your results and i promise i wont copy it(Liar Liar my tounges on fire)

cheers Brian
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.