Covering the Ground

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Max, I've come in slightly later than some of the others on this one, but as I looked at your photos, admiring the ground cover, just one thing bothered me, the lack of something in between the height of the latest saplings and the lowest ground cover.

Mike's point about grouping is a valid one, but equally important (in my humble estimation) is imitating nature and including some bushes where nature would have grown something not now at ground level, but not as high as the saplings. No need to go overboard, as a few such "plantings" may well be ample.

Try using some Lichen, spraying it with hairspray and lightly sprinkling some fine ground foam and when dry placing some of that on the layout.

Remember this? :- 

A huge amount denser than yours needs to be, but demonstrates the variation in vegetation that I'm talking about.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I'm not being contrary here as this is just my opinion. With the coal mine, general toxicity of the area, and what look to be fairly arid conditions, I think the first two pictures are really true to life. For me I find it difficult to think of anything that could improve them.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I do, Jeff.  You make a good point.  Following Mike's suggestion, I have started with some Lichen already.  Bob is right as well.  I think it's all about balance.  Progress has slowed a bit as people are asking me questions about DCC. :cool wink

Posted
Rating:
Gosh Max, I think it looks great right now!

The ONLY thought I had after reading everyone else's comments was: With this being a coal mine you might try dirtying it up a bit. The road and fence lines are very pristine looking right now.

As always Max, it's just a thought.

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thoughts are what I need, Wayne.  Thanks :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Have you got a photo of the type of countryside you are trying to model Max.
I found referring to photos of the Teifi Valley near Henllan worked a treat for Pentrecourt Halt.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
:doublethumbCool! Max.

I love Phill,s idea of weeds and Mike's observation of the need for irregularity. Even in toxic lanscapes, it's amazing what self populates. Gorse is a prime example here in the mining areas with its yellow flowers. Chris will probably think of more from his BR days. I've used lichen before but never thought of sealing it with hair spray ……. that's a cool one, Jeff.

Keep the photos coming, mate. :thumbs

Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, John.  I'm working on it.
Hi Marty.  That's part of the trouble - no photo and no real plan.  Everything I create looks like South Australia.  It could be worse, I guess.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=225]Myansome[/user] wrote:
I've used lichen before but never thought of sealing it with hair spray ……. that's a cool one, Jeff.
Keep the photos coming, mate. :thumbs
If you spray with the hairspray and sprinkle some ground foam on whilst still wet, it makes quite effective bushes John. In lush growth areas, sprinkle liberally, but in the sort of terrain Max is currently doing, I'd just be sprinkling very finely.

Rubberised horsehair is another excellent base material for scrubland. Treated in much the same way, it will represent brambles quite effectively. I'll do a "how to" in the hints and tips section for that   …   one day :exclam:exclam
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Jeff

What do you mean by ground foam do you mean like cushion foam grated or something?

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Ground foam, flock, grass, scenic scatter   …    call it what you will, Woodland Scenics do a huge range of it, but what you want for the job above is called "Fine turf" or "Blended Turf".
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Ah

I understand what you mean now Jeff i use that stuff myself.

When i read your post i had visions of you with a cheese grater shaving bits off the sofa cussion:lol:

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=52]henryparrot[/user] wrote:
Ah

I understand what you mean now Jeff i use that stuff myself.

When i read your post i had visions of you with a cheese grater shaving bits off the sofa cussion:lol:

cheers Brian

:mutley:mutley:mutley I'll show that one to Moira, she's gunner luv ewe :exclam :thumbs:thumbs

Shaving the sofa cushions indeed. ;-);-):lol::lol::lol:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
OK Progress so far.  It's hard to get all the detail in while showing the overall layout of the trees and bushes; in such a wide shot.

I've added some more saplings and a couple of larger trees.  Also various bushes and weeds.  I've been able to keep the open look, but make it a lot more convincing.  Thanks to all who have helped.

The hills have just been covered with dirt and rocks and a few bits of green for now.  Later they will have much more vegetation.

There is a dead tree at each end of the multiple tracks to help me line up the uncoupling magnets.  I'm hoping to make a video of the mine operation soon.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
It looks very good to me Max. I see some nice little clumps and lots of variety. I hadn't realised how big the area is - about as long as my layout by the look of it.  :thumbs

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Given a nice bit of separation between the mine and the front yard now Max. Looks much more convincing.
Can you give us a low shot along the road between the fence and the new patch of bush?

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Excellent improvement Maxwell, old chap. See I told you not to say "I don't do scenery". :thumbs:thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

I like the look of that Max, the yard area looks very good, and so different then outside of the fence, where you have changed the look totally, some close ups would be good to look at, especially as you have got to grips with your camera :pedal

I like the feeling of space that you have given the layout, makes it look all the more real :thumbs

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, Guys.  Thanks for all your frank and fearless advice.  I guess I don't do scenery like John doesn't do DCC.  I've got club day all day Marty, but I'll give it a go with the low shots asap.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
OK Marty.  It's a bit tricky shooting with the camera on the layout.  I just aimed and fired.  I hope what you are looking for is in here somewhere. :pedal

These last three show a close up of the talus.  I can't remember who asked me. :???:

The local Council pollards the bigger trees.  :mutley

Cheers  Max

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.