Watchit

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user

Small station on the Devan & Summersett

Dirty red - Humbrol #153  Insignia Red -  Matt - dullcoated which helps to hide the paper number, etc joins on plastic ( camera close ups don't hide faults though), then some black & rust weathering powder fingered on.
4 wheelers require a bit of weight & good track - bogie vehicles are more tolerant of iffy track.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Wagons looking good there.  I agree with comments that keeping light 4-wheelers on the road can be a PITA; some of mine prefer to do the "Six-foot dance" at times.

I'm also having some trouble getting weathering powders locally.  Where you you source yours?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Those look nice wagons Sol - what make are they ?

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Rick, weathering powders:
one lot from USA
http://www.bragdonent.com/weather.htm

another lot available in Melbourne
http://www.brunelhobbies.com.au/AIM/AIM.htm

or from Perth
http://www.dccconcepts.com/index_files/DCCflocks.htm

Petermac- they are Bachmann Conflats

pic courtesy of KMRC
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Modified the other flat wagon now to make a pair.

Weight is half a blade sharpening block, gives weight & looks like a concrete block & to hold it in place, I made some steel frames ( .75mm styrene)

glued to shapes

Painted, glued in & dirtied

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
The two of them together now by one of the lead in tracks to the gravel loader

no doubt in time, they will get weathered more.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I like how you have made the load weights different Sol…. and the numbers stand out clearly too.

A useful and interesting addition to an operating session.

Do they live in a siding near the gravel plant or do they travel around with the train?

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thats a pretty smart looking stone load Ron if you make a rake of them you will need a Heljan engine to pull them

Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
They look very 'real', Ron.
I notice the buffers are gone, is that for operating reasons or have I missed something?

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
They look pretty heavy, Sol.  Too much for the Terrier.  :lol:

Nice work.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Nice loads, Ron. I like the holding frames.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
OK,
first answer for Marty:- they will live where I have spotted them for the photo - part of the gravel loading area. All my wagon numbers are bigger so we can see which ones get dropped off/picked up but in this case, they will stay at Watchit.

second answer for HP - the weight - actually less than I normally use, eg, my vans are 60gm/ 2 oz  whereas Barrier 3904 is 50gm/1.75 oz  & 3905 ( the block) is 45 gm/1.5 oz.   I needed more weight than just a plain conflat as they will be pushing 4 bogie hoppers that will weigh in total over 8 ozs.

third answer for ddolfelin :- buffers removed as my rail empire is going to all air brakes & knuckles couplers, so buffers are redundant ( slowly). It saves about 4-5mm per coupled pair of stock so over a 20 wagon train, saves 40-50 mm. The models stil;l have to have axle box rods installed.  In fact the South Australian Railways did that many many years ago when they changed from chain & hooks to knuckle couplings.  I had mentioned this on my layout thread http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=5948&forum_id=21&page=2

and this photo

Plus this http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=5533&forum_id=52
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks, Ron.
I knew I'd missed something.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Those two flat look excellent Ron - nice loads. :thumbs:thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Another industry in Watchit will be a Printers building using the Scalescenes warehouse. The vans carrying supplies in will be Private Owner vans & the first one has come off the refurbishment line of an older van.

Started life as a Cooper craft Mink Van of the GWR

Building the kit is relatively easy - the main hiccup is placing the axle box Assembly in as per instructions,  does not really give much slop in the wheels to give free running. I had to angle the axle boxes out wards. ( The next kit, they will be altered slightly). The roof was covered with canvas as per the original vans so I used masking tape. Looks OK I think!

The colour scheme is blue roof, & white/cream sides & ends. This pic shows the roof colour & a base coat on the sides.

As per D&S railway rules- knuckle couplings & no buffers are the flavour of the month.

Sides now coated with white paint- Owner panel added & running number- Dullcoated giving a slightly worn look. I think may need to obtain a new can of white paint.

I have one more to build then the fleet will be extended using white Bachmann vans.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I saw it today when I called in.  It looks even better in the flesh.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
certainly cracking on,looking forward to a vid of the running set,

:doublethumb:lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Looking good Ron,

Craig SR

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Back on post #31, I posted this plan

with a photo showing some of the some of the trackage

Since that was done, there was an additional siding  between the platform & engine shed lines ( photo below has it going to the right next to the Container) but recent Op sessons showed that the loops available mainly on the secondary line was too small so I altered in the last two days by shifting the crossover a further 11" (280mm) closer to the camera.

Bit messy but it shows the extensions to the tracks - not fully sleepered. Point rodding had to be moved as well. What also made it interesting is that the crossover is a complete unit of the two points so both moved at the same time.

Finally got it tidied up. The platform is what I had built for an earlier version of Barnstable - slight modification & it will do for Watchit

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Coming on Ron, good to see one of us making some progress!
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.