Watchit

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user

Small station on the Devan & Summersett

Jim, the actual track is built in situ & it does, as you say, get a better natural curve. Some points built on my work area & others mainly the 3 way & some curved points built in situ. I have even chopped into Peco points to give a slight curve ( Tillig will curve a small bit anyway - designed that way).
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol,
    Looking really good now.Are you decided now to stick with this track plan,or are you liable to make any more changes??

:hmm
Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

p.s.love that 6 wheeled sausage van!!!
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
John, I was toying witth the idea of making the main station have some internal passing loops but it would require too many drastic changes & I don't have the heart for it  but what can be done to assist in operations is to make the dead end sidings of Tiverton thru running like St David/Durston. The plan below shows it as it is now - the idea is to connect the 3 sidings back onto the mainline near Barnstable (which is at a higher level)

This can be done without much effect on operations , which will start to be worked out in the next couple of days.

I can instal points into the mainline one at a time even if this takes half a day a week & this can then be spread over a few weeks.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Is this the last track tracklaying now Ron ?

Scenic work time approaches

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Minor track laying as mentioned above -: operation cards to be done in conjunction with track painting & ballasting & the start of scenery.

I worked out the trackwork needed, I only have to purchase one point as I have all the others on hand + 2 lengths of Code 75 flex track. I have plenty of point motors, Masterswich units & a spare CDU.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
After an operating session, it was decided to remove Watchit & use some of the space for scenery. The Tawnton MPD had been shifted previously & Tawnton  Flour mill & furniture was in the space - this has all now gone to Hemlock - subject of another thread.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Lovely to see hand built track Ron.  Just out of interest and I may have missed it, is there a reason for handbuilding plain track, rather than using flexi? 

I can sit and admire hand built track all day.  The Bronx track is very special indeed.  Here's another one in 2mm finescale….

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Gordon, the main reason I hand laid track is to get sleepers a bit longer & wider apart to be more 00 than H0 as Peco is setup for. Possibly about the same in cost, takes more time & one has to be careful - it is the points which perhaps has the biggest advantage in having them made to suit the location & of course a lot cheaper ( about 2/3rds cheaper ).
Not all of my track is hand-made - I have used flexi in parts together with some Peco points.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Thanks Ron.  I guess SMP track is not available in Oz, or perhaps it's too expensive to ship across. 

Looking at the pics, I see you solder every fourth sleeper and then add fill in sleepers.  What material are the dummy sleepers?  Do you add rail fixings on those such as dummy chairs, or just leave them?

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Yes Gordon, SMP would do the job but almost twice the cost of Peco in Aust- OK for a plank layout but to use in a 12 x 20 ft room - gets a bit expensive. Balsa sleepers & no dummy chairs - by the time all painted & ballasted, not normally noticed when trains are on the move.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Back in Nov 2009, I decided to abandon the then current  Watchit & re-use the space.

Well since, then, a few changes & the new plan as post 61 on http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=5948&forum_id=21&page=4  things are coming together.

Station B on the new plan is like this

with some photos of the re-laid trackwork

The next photo is where a gravel loader plant will go

inspired by the Chris Nevard photo - not in the same pictorial scene though

Waiting on the Cornerstone kit to arrive & be built to finalise that actual track layout in that area. Also looking into a Power Generating plant for the Loader.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
That's certainly an inspiring picture, Ron.

Given the opportunity I would ask questions about the detail - not as criticisms but out of fascination!

I assume that's track on the jetty. What would run on it and is the end barrier up to the job?
Who moved that giant flagstone onto the loading bay?
Is that a smoking area where the legs are showing?

Back to your layout, Ron.
Look forward to progress.
I, too, like the DIY track. It must even be easier insofar as it can go where you wish instead of where it has to be with ready made, even though it's a lot of work.

Good luck with what is obviously quite a big undertaking.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=394]ddolfelin[/user] wrote:
That's certainly an inspiring picture, Ron.

Given the opportunity I would ask questions about the detail - not as criticisms but out of fascination!

I assume that's track on the jetty. What would run on it and is the end barrier up to the job?
Who moved that giant flagstone onto the loading bay?
Is that a smoking area where the legs are showing?

Back to your layout, Ron.
Look forward to progress.
I, too, like the DIY track. It must even be easier insofar as it can go where you wish instead of where it has to be with ready made, even though it's a lot of work.

Good luck with what is obviously quite a big undertaking.
:hi
Hand pushed trucks might occasionally go along the rails on the jetty simply to get supplies etc to and from boats. A couple of hearty souls could rotate a wagon the 90 degrees required to get it from the siding in front of the warehouse - people were tougher in those days! http://www.nevardmedia5.fotopic.net/p46752602.html
Flagstone? There is a pallet from fresh timber leaning against the wall.
The smoking area is correct - might as well get a nice view whilst killing oneself- though of course in those rose tinted 'olden days' smoking was yet to be dangerous.
:cheers
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks, Chris.
Inspirational as always.
Good pics.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Coming on nicely Ron.  I'm intrigued by your metod of point operation, any chance of some more info please?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
John, Post #46 on http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=1733&forum_id=6&jump_to=109583#p109583  may help with your question about the method I use to move point tiebars.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=95][/user]Thanks Ron, I had missed that while we were away.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Looking at those latest shots Ron, I notice you have an overall covering of what looks like pretty hefty cork but the platform (which, incidentally, looks superb) is on the baseboard itself.  Have you increased the height to compensate or isn't the cork that thick or what  ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Peter, that platform came from ex Barnstable & will be modified for length, width & raised at least 3mm.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Ron. :thumbs

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.