Watchit

Posted
Rating:
#50329 (In Topic #2856)
Sol
Guest user

Small station on the Devan & Summersett

The last station to be built will be Wachit which comes off Tawnton - see the plan on the main D&S thread of  a couple of days ago.

The pictures below give the basic concept - small platform, run- around & a goods yard - there maybe space for a small industry/mik depot.

once this is done ( & the diesel depot in Tawnton), then full-blooded operations using a card system will commence.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
It looks charming already, Ron, and a mini layout in itself :thumbs

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Living in the area that you are modelling Ron, I just love you names, at first I thought you had spelt them wrong !!

I like the sound of the card system.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
:thumbs I'm looking forward  to watching  this with fascination, Ron.

John

Life is just a bowl of cherries!
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Getting excited now Ron, looking really forward to this and also how the card system will work.

Phill

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
I have now started track work & this photo shows the lead-in track & the first point ( hand made as per my new thread under Track)

A different view - the curved rodding is for the manual operation.

The last pic shows the template with PCB sleepers for the release crossover at the end of the platform . This will be made as one unit.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I had a look at this layout yesterday when I was up there.  The operational side is going to be very workable and enjoyable.  Even I was able to understand the card system and the schedule!  You've had a few goes at the track layout and it's been worth each re-think and improvement.  I reckon you've nailed it this time, Sol.   :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
The following are the various stages of building the release crossover. Still to have rail gaps put in & the PCB sleepers gapped as well - this will be done when it is in the right position & fixed down.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Love your work, Ronnie!:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Amen to that,Max.It always fascinates me when I see demos of handmade pointwork.Usually the people doing it are so engrossed in what they're doing,it's hard to stop them to ask questions.We're just so lucky to have our own resident expert on tap 24/7.
  I don't think,in all honesty,that I'd ever be able to make my own trackwork,but seeing Sol's demos don't half make me want to at least have a bash at it!
  Nice one,my friend.

Cheers,John.B.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
John, I even did it for N scale some years ago - scissors crossover on a curve. Just takes time.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Your track and point work are stunning you must have the patience of a saint:wow:doublethumb

Bozzy(never known to pass a pub)

Posted
Rating:
You always amaze me when i come on your threads. The track making skill, as well as the points are just wonderfull. Just wish i had the time and more importantly the money to give it a bash but for now i just watch the master at work, thanks Ron.

Phill

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Phill, "master" No, just someone who likes doing it  & it does not cost the earth - points are a lot cheaper hand building them - takes time that is all.

Just have a look at this N scale hand built trackwork from Queensland in Aust.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
:wow

When I've worked out how to do what ever the hell it is that I am trying to do with my layout, maybe, just maybe I'll be tempted.

Only time will tell.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
I will admit that my jaw dropped when I saw that trackwork.

Also this

http://www.bronx-terminal.com/

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
:wowwhat a layout of track, must of taken a age to build. Maybe one day when i get the time, perhaps when i retire.

Phill

Posted
Rating:
Blimey,I thought the n gauge trackwork was something…but that Bronx site!!! I love the bit that goes to the engineshed with the removeable rails.Ingenious!!!
   Thanks very much for posting that link,Ron.I think that's one I'll be going back to again and again!

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
All trackwork for Watchit now installed - bit of wiring to do tomorrow. Point rodding via tube will be covered under the scenery part.

Now to start on Operation Cards system & in between, track painting & ballasting. etc.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi all

A couple of things to remember when building your own track is 1 - its great fun and 2 it means you are free to put the track where you want it to rather than being dictated by set track.  You can build the track to fit the space you have rather than build the space around the track to fit it.  This (at least to me) results in a much more natural looking layout.  

I dont know about you Sol, but I like to build track in situe as i find it give a really smooth flow to the trackwork (even if the prototype isn't!)

Regards

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright

Rule 1 - Model what you really see and not what you think you know!
www.p4newstreet.com
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.