Basic video help required

Posted
Rating:
#50191 (In Topic #2851)
Guest user
During my week away in Devon (last week) I had the chance to take photos of the line between Dawlish and Teignmouth.

I took the opportunity of trying out my camera's video function and I confess to being quite pleased with the results   …   except for one thing, I held the camera on it's side to take the video shots and now I can't find a way to flip the image through 90'

Has anyone got a simple answer :question:question
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Yeah get in your car and do it again the right way up :mutley:mutley:mutley:mutley

Phill
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Jeff

Think of the positives at least Phill didnt tell you to turn you monitor through 90 degrees.

I cant help with that Jeff never used video software im sure Max or John RJR will have a simple answer

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
rjr
Guest user
if you load the video into Windows Movie Maker (free with windows, look under all programs you will find it)

Once loaded the video can be "worked on" one of the video effects is to rotate the selected clip through various angles.

Movie maker is a good basic program, if you can use microsoft products within 15mins you will have mastered the basics.

John
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I think Phill's method will be quicker though :mutley
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Jeff,

Just completed my first effort at editing 5 seperate videos into one. Like you I took it in the  "vertical".

Windows Movie Maker gives the ability to rotate through angles to get it the right way up!

Listed below is the link for the NEW version of moviemaker.

http://download.live.com/moviemaker

My "first effort" can be found at the link at the bottom of this post, was taken with a Technika SH-550T 5 Mega Pixel camera, at the Eastleigh Open Day.

Subsequent videos which are being edited as time permits, 22 in total and over 1.6Gb of files taken at the Long Marston Open Weekend were taken with a Samsung ES15 10.2 Mega Pixles camera.

Has been a most enjoyable learning curve, wish I had plucked up courage to have a crack at it much earlier.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
The other, cheaper alternative is to watch the final video lying on your side!  :twisted: ;-)

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thanks John, that may well be the first (no the second) sensible comment I've received since my original queery :exclam:exclam

Although well known as a willing participant in general banter, I was getting a bit frustrated with my efforts and close to just wiping the video clips off the computer and giving up. Moviemaker maybe a standard issue on some systems, but it's not on mine. (Well it is now thanks to John)

Cheers mate :exclam:exclam 
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Jeff,

Thanks……..:thumbs

Have fun……. it is worth the effort getting the hang of Movie Maker, still a Novice myself, just kept fiddling and trying various options, sort of came together more by luck than judgement!.
Oh! make a copy of the original (s), so you can allways go back and start again.

I'd just let them wash over your head! :mutley

Keep the faith…………:doublethumb
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Jeff,

A visit to the below listed site may well be useful in your quest.

Everything you would need to know about Movie Maker…………..

The Best Alternatives to Windows Movie Maker

John
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
You may laugh at turning the monitor on It's side, but they do make them! I have a samsung monitor that rotates 90deg; and automatically flips the document when turned using 'word' etc much easier and natural to read A4 in portrait mode.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Barney,i have a Dell moniter that doe`s the same,the little un`s
think it is great fun.

:doublethumb:lol::lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Jeff's version of the query may have been answered but with all the functions of iPhoto and iMovie at my disposal I'm jiggered if I can find a way to do the same thing in the Mac environment.

A few vids were taken in Portrait format on holiday and so far we can only view them with a major adjustment to our angle-poise necks!

I did hear that this can be done in the 2009 release of iLife but that costs around $200 which does seem a tad pricey just to rotate a file for viewing.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
When the movie has been edited, how do you save it as a file that can be recognised by a dvd recorder?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Martin both photo gallery and dvd maker you just burn to video dvd,
you use the drop down menu for the format you want.

:lol::lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Owen, after editing the movie in Movie Maker, i want to burn it to a DVD. My computer doesn't have a DVD burner, but my DVD player is a recordable one, so I want to copy the file from my computer to my dvd player in a format the player will recognise, so it can burn it onto a disk. How is that done?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Martin,the only way i know to do that ,you will need a capture card that has rgb  or s-video connecters,i have put one in my comp for that reason, can you watch tv on your computer ? cos if you can then you have the card already.

:hmm:cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Martin - if the file is small enough to be sent attached to an email you are welcome to send it to me if nothing else works.  I could burn a DVD and mail it back to you.  Just a thought.

Bob - thank you for the link, duly filed for reference and probable use especially at that price :lol:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thanks Rick, will bear it in mind, but I think the file sizes would be too big for email.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.