Inactive Member

One station of the Devan & Summersett

Pretty good.  :thumbs
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hello Ron,
That's an extremely high-rate of stone-slab cracking. Your pavier is obviously hitting the slabs too-hard with the mallet or there is too much base-sand under the slabs/ or it might be you, Ron, too heavy-handed, mate,:roll::lol: Looking very good,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Looks great Ron. :thumbs

Did you use grey-scale paper for the edging or is it colour printed ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Michael, a valid point & I have just e-0mailed John Wiffen of Scalescenes about the possiblity of reducing the number of cracks.

Petermac - run of the mill paper that the spreadsheet cells have borders & coloured a light grey inside solid pattern. I had thought of cloured papers for various backgrounds but the cost per sheet in a pack - I would never use more tahn a couple of sheets so it is easier to clour within borders as required. I suppose a bloke could even create his own paving slabs like Scalescenes but the time taken would not be worth it.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Looks the business Ron. Pity about the road being messed up.there is certainly a problem keeping Scalescenes paper colours in good nick.  I have invested in a spray can (cant spell aerosol) of sealer from "crafty computer papers" not tried it yet though .  I have to redo a viaduct curved wall as it has aged ! Don't mind the natural weathered look but it stained badly where i dribbled.      P V A that is . That platform edging is really nice.:thumbs

reg

Posted
Rating:
If the number of cracks is a problem, simply cut out a few un-cracked slabs and glue them over the cracked ones………they will relieve the 'billiard table' effect and solve your problem. Roll them down well after colouring the edges with a grey/brown crayon  [not pencil lead or it will shine like a sixpence up a sows elbow under flash photography….] and to carry the deception further, carefully indent the card inderneath the exact corner of a nearby slab with a sharp edged square-cornered object like the end of a steel ruler.

Just a fawt……

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Thanks Doug, I will play with that idea tomorrow.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=31]sparky[/user] wrote:
Looks the business Ron. Pity about the road being messed up.there is certainly a problem keeping Scalescenes paper colours in good nick.  I have invested in a spray can (cant spell aerosol) of sealer from "crafty computer papers" not tried it yet though .  I have to redo a viaduct curved wall as it has aged ! Don't mind the natural weathered look but it stained badly where i dribbled.      P V A that is . That platform edging is really nice.:thumbs

Hi, Sparky,  If you give 'em a very light spray of Lidl W5 waterproofer after printing [£2-3 per tin] they are very much tougher, and you can even wipe off watercolour and acrylic weathering attempts that go wrong if you move quickly enough [not that I'm saying you're making mistakes…]

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Thanks Doug . I will add  that to the shopping list:thumbs

reg

Posted
Rating:
It's also going on Liz's shopping list for tomorrow Doug. :thumbs

In passing - I just wondered how you know what a sixpence looks like up a sow's elbow under flash photography !!  Is there something you'd like to share with us ? :hmm:hmm

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Peter,

Having woken next to a  'two-bagger' more than once in my lifetime, coruscating specie in a  'locus insolitus' was common place in my formative years!

Ah!  The memories of a miss-spent youth. What it was to be young and fit and transported all over the world by H.M Grey Funnel Line…

Aged Doofer

Posted
Rating:
What did they say about the Grey Funnel line - a port in every girl.............................:roll::roll::roll::mutley:mutley:mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I must say Sol your layout is coming along a treat mate. Like the road area.

Phill

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
[user=9]phill[/user] wrote:
I must say Sol your layout is coming along a treat mate. Like the road area.

Phill

Thanks Phill,

I am going to instal  " new roadworks"  signs to account for the fresh surface.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Road works signs - first one not in focus but the second one shows it a bit clearer

About 1/4" (6mm) across, derived from the larger one - see the attachment They won't be left in permanerntly until all scenic work in the area has been done.

Attachment
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Clever stuff Ron. :pathead

That first shot looks great with the road gently climbing away to the left as the railway disappears into the cutting - just like the real thing. :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Why have you added the piture of a man trying to open his umbrella? :roll:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
That is a great source of signs Ron.  I believe this style of road sign was introduced in the mid 1960s with the previous versions being worded plates below either an open circle or triangle?

I know that we still had these older style signs in Mullion right into the 1980s although they have all gone now, but I have no idea what they did for roadworks back then?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
As a result of operating sessions, the two sidings at Barnstable, will be made into working sidings - currently basically dioramas - points are pinned

what is planned in that the station platform shifts to next to the road which in turns moves as well and a passing loop will be installed so the sidings will come off the loop.

It will be interesting as at least one point will be right across a lift up join.

First job will be to extend the width of the lift up - which Barnstable sits on - by at least 2"/ 50mm. ( as suggested by one of the Operators on the D&S)

and this is it now extended

A phototo show the new planned passing loop with ends feeding into a couple of sidings

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.