Barnstable

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member

One station of the Devan & Summersett

Stop, Phill!  Wendy's not home from Uni yet to cook my dinner . . .
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Now has Barnstaple - the real one, got a restaurant as I see that this thread has gone to the food side of life &o I may have to put a Food place on my version of Barnstable.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Ron

Behind the station is a large DIY store ( B&Q ) and behind that is a small retail complex, with the old bridge and town after that, so unless you are going to cut a hole in the wall and model the river and town :hmm  I  would just put a bacon/burger van on the platform :thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Thanks for the tip Alan - will have to keep that in mind.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Ron

I know that you are not modelling Barnstaple station, but if you would like some images showing the station from different views just ask.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Alan, as I am doing low relief & the platform will be 2 coaches long, the station building will be a very  small one, I don't need pictures of the real thing, thanks for the offer mate.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Pity you said that, Ron, coz I would've liked to see them…. ;-)

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
OK, then, please post some Alan ,not only for Mike but others & I maybe able to adapt them elsewhere or make them thinner! Create a new thread under Prototype photos please of that is OK.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Will do

As soon as the weather changes, ( bright !! heavy rain at the moment in Devon) must have something to do with Mr Rail visiting :exclam
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I used to live in Bradiford about 1 1/2 miles from Barnstaple station and must say the scenery as you approach the station by rail is stunning.
The station is now the end of the line but once curved to the right over the river on a curved metal bridge to Barnstaple Town station (the bridge now gone but the station buildings and signal box still there) where it met the narrow guage to Lynton. The standard gauge then continued on through Braunton, now walkable and known as the "Tarka Trail" (again some station buildings, a length of track over a level crossing and a signal remain) the line then continued through beautiful countryside to Ilfracombe.
The other route from the station curved to the left and headed on to Bideford this route now is blocked off by the new Barnstaple relief road,so has little or no chance of being reinstated.

Last edit: by Ianbo

Bozzy(never known to pass a pub)

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
"Will do

As soon as the weather changes"

:Happy Thanks Alan!

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
As promised a photo of BARNSTAPLE station

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Now that would be a great scratch build project, and a challenge to paint as well!

Wayne

PS: I'll be watching for it!

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
My thoughts exactly, Wayne.  Go for it, Sol.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
If you need more photo's and dimensions then I can sort that out for you Sol :thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
That's one I'd fancy having a go at, Alan.

If and when you get round to a survey with dimensions, could you start a new thread called "Barnstable Station Survey" to keep it seperate. I'll draw up some scale plans from your survey and add them to your thread. It will be a good resource for future reference. :thumbs:thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Good Photo Alan, a bit grandiose for my little 2 car platform - I have about 3" between rail & backwall to have a platform & building - low relief indeed!
But certainly as a reference for the future as Jeff has suggested.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=200]Christrerise[/user] wrote:
[user=95]Sol[/user] wrote:
Traffic will include a GWR railcar as the passenger service with the Terrier with 2-3 wagons every so often
A nice blue Class 25 with some clay wagons would look the business as well!

A nice blue "Baby Warship" will look even better :mutley 

The real Barnstaple used to have no fewer than three stations.  The GWR terminus from Taunton and the SR Junction and Town stations.  The last named also acted as the terminus for the Lynton & Barnstaple narrow gauge line.

The GWR was linked to the SR line so through running could take place either from the terminus or direct from Taunton towards Junction; at this station which once had three platforms the trackes diverged very sharply left and right towards Bideford, Torrington and Halwill (left) or across the tortuous s-bend and river bridge (now demolished) to Town and thence Ilfracombe.

Barnstaple (the former Junction station) is all that survives and is just a single track serving one platform, devoid even of a run-round loop these days.  The line has been run down for many years but can still be quite busy. 

Most of the lines towards Halwill and Ilfracombe can be walked, cycled or traced where the land is now in private ownership.  The GWR closed earlier and much has vanished under the North Devon Relief Road which links Barnstaple with the M5 near Tiverton.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=3]Gwent Rail[/user] wrote:
That's one I'd fancy having a go at, Alan.

If and when you get round to a survey with dimensions, could you start a new thread called "Barnstable Station Survey" to keep it seperate. I'll draw up some scale plans from your survey and add them to your thread. It will be a good resource for future reference. :thumbs:thumbs

Okay Guys if that's what you want, I hope that you don't want this to happen to quickly, as my workload is way over the top at the moment, both at work and on here.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
 Thanks for the photo Alan. The whole scene is very appealing from a layout/diorama viewpoint.

I like how you photoshopped the blue sky into it :mutley :pedal

Mike
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.