Barnstable

Posted
Rating:
#48547 (In Topic #2786)
Sol
Guest user

One station of the Devan & Summersett

While the main part of my layout has been described under Devan and Summersett  and  this will be added to as I update existing parts of it, I thought that I would start a new thread on the small terminal I am calling Barnstable.

The location is partly on the lift-up onto the room and the adjoining part of the main board about 1.5 inches higher than the main tracks.

The plan below shows what I hope to do with  two points, low relief buildings for station and goods shed. Traffic will include a GWR railcar as the passenger service with the Terrier with 2-3 wagons every so often.

The photos that follow show the site as it is now and  as I add track, etc, further photos, etc will be added. I expect that this will take a while as I will be doing other parts to the main layout as well.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Ron

I really like the way you add more to your layout, and to put a station at the back like that is very clever, instead of just covering it with hills

If you want some photographs of the real thing……….. just ask :thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=95]Sol[/user] wrote:
Traffic will include a GWR railcar as the passenger service with the Terrier with 2-3 wagons every so often
A nice blue Class 25 with some clay wagons would look the business as well!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
looking forward to this one.

:thumbs:thumbs:lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol,
Sounds great..
     how are you going to do the gap between the two levels,a wall,an embankment or what??

cheers,John.B.:thumbs
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Ron

as you are doing Barnstable you can add an 009 layout aswell your version of the Lynton & Barnstable railway

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
[user=201]georgejacksongenius[/user] wrote:
Sol,
Sounds great..
     how are you going to do the gap between the two levels,a wall,an embankment or what??

cheers,John.B.:thumbs

John, right now. the "or what" but later on, I think it will be an embankment - it will have to fit in with the scenery that will be created for the curved part of the trackage. I will get a photo of that part later on today.

Brian, 009 - no room!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
This is the corner leading into Barnstable. It is sharpish  22" radius ( the other corners in the room are at least 36" or more radius) as it was planned to be hidden behind a 10" backboard but I thought, doing it up as a scene would be better.

The front two tracks are the Up & Down mainlines.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
And where did the name "Barnstable" come from?

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Wayne, all of my station & junction names come from the Devon & Somerset area with a few letters altered so that  rivet-counters do not have a leg to stand on. Barnstable is a variation of Barnstaple. My main station is Tawnton ( real spelling is Taunton) so I then selected stations that connected to it as a basis for the overall layout.
The real Barnstaple was big - not sure what it is like now but mine is very small.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Ron

It's very small now, just one line from Exeter, that is only used for passager stock, very run down, even though they have just given it a lick of paint, and call it the Tarka line !!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/20/Barnstable_railway_station.JPG
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Thanks Alan, at least my version will have a goods area!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Bacon baps  Now thats what you call a station.:thumbs

reg

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
What is a BAP when it's at home?  The buffer stop looks a tad far back.  Does the sand pit slow the loco down first?

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Max

Its a bread roll  what you would probably call a bacon roll a round roll with bacon in it is what a bacon bap is

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, Brian.  This forum even provides gourmet advice.  They sound delicious.  I'm off for breakfast!

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
Thanks, Brian.  This forum even provides gourmet advice.  They sound delicious.  I'm off for breakfast!

Max

You have a long way to come if you are coming for a  "Barum Bacon Bap " :thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Sorry, Alan.  I was off to the dining room for my brekkie.  The sound of those baps made me hungry . . .

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Not quite so far to go then :mutley:mutley
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
What is a BAP when it's at home? 

Try this link Max and if you are buying i have 2 please :thumbs

http://www.fotosearch.com/IMP163/ingfmysb0116/

Phill
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.