hornby mag

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
RM does have the biggest response from an advertising point of view and I think most people still buy it because it has everyone in it.

Hornby are doing very well though with a pretty good response from their ads - they must be knicking readers from the others.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:

8 years later, they are still in the boxes they came in.  Not sure of the years but there must be something useful in those boxes !!  Anyone want to know how to run a model railways from Leclanche Cells ?

Leclanche Cells, must be welsh at a guess :hmm. Anyhow you can tell me about it if you want mate :thumbs, sounds interesting.

Phill
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I'm sure RM must have a much bigger readership than Hornby Chris - and more adverts so it's understandable that it generates the larger response - I imagine the cost of advertising with them reflects that !! :roll::roll:

I do use RM for looking up suppliers although I admit to using this forum more than I used to.  Word of mouth recommendation is worth 100 adverts !!!

Phill - a "Leclanche" cell was the first rechargeable electric cell (invented by a Frenchman of that name).  It was basically a square glass bottle filled with acid with a couple of electrodes sitting in it.  It looked very similar to those old glass "Exide" radio batteries with the wire handle and screw terminals that you had to take down to the radio shop to be re-charged (for those old enough to remember !!)

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
Phill - a "Leclanche" cell was the first rechargeable electric cell (invented by a Frenchman of that name).  It was basically a square glass bottle filled with acid with a couple of electrodes sitting in it.  It looked very similar to those old glass "Exide" radio batteries with the wire handle and screw terminals that you had to take down to the radio shop to be re-charged (for those old enough to remember !!)

Thanks Peter but as you rightly say being so young i cant recall them myself :hmm:thumbs

Phill

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I dropped my subscription to RM mag a year ago i felt it was being left behind by model rail and Hornby Mag plus i felt that RM mag tries to cover to many scales im sure nobody does all scales so it has limited interest to people working specific scales.

Mind you this year i have not bothered to renew my subscription to either model rail or Hornby mag not because i dont think they are good but i find i would just tend to flip through them and i find most info i want here or on other places on the net.

With more and more modellers using the internet i feel all model mags will come under pressure and im sure some will dissappear BrM will be the first casualty i think.

It caters more for the elitest types and lets face it they are usually skinflints anyway they go in a model shop waffle about rivets and things for an hour then spend 50p not exactly a good model shop customer them.

Brm i noticed has tried to go more mainstream but i think they are trying to close the door after the horse has bolted.

cheers brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
I have had the Hornby mag since Issue 1 & I find it very good. The only mag I get is at the other end of the spectrum - Model Rail Journal - not for the building of locos or wagons over 5 or more pages but layout details.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I saw that article in the mag.  Very good Doug.  Great idea.

Posted
Rating:
Thank you all for your kind remarks, I'm back from a camping trip to Provence and will try and catch up soon. We've only been back 2 hours and SWMBO has asked what time I want the alarm clock setting to re-start work on the wall tomorrow…..:shock::shock:

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
dare you to tell her Monday will do…

:mutley:mutley:pedal:cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=312]dooferdog[/user] wrote:
 We've only been back 2 hours and SWMBO has asked what time I want the alarm clock setting to re-start work on the wall tomorrow…..:shock::shock:

Tut, just tell her to get in the kitchen and do what woman do best, cooking and cleaning and you do the wall when your ready, tut you frightened of her. I am not of my wife, ok must go hoovering needs doing, "coming dear". :oops:

Phill

Posted
Rating:
[user=9]phill[/user] wrote:
[user=312]dooferdog[/user] wrote:
 We've only been back 2 hours and SWMBO has asked what time I want the alarm clock setting to re-start work on the wall tomorrow…..:shock::shock:

Tut, just tell her to get in the kitchen and do what woman do best, cooking and cleaning and you do the wall when your ready, tut you frightened of her. I am not of my wife, ok must go hoovering needs doing, "coming dear". :oops:

Phill
:lol::lol::lol:

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.