Hornby Country Church

Posted
Rating:
Part 2

Having painted the base colours on the church the next task is to pick out some of the stones in a slightly different colour, altering the shade slightly. So I added a little dark grey to the mid grey and painted a few stones in a rando fashion all around the building.  Once complete I added some more grey and went around again and so on until I felt I had done enough:

The next bit - the fun bit I always think,  is to ruin the whole model with a wash of thin acrylic black.  It looks horrendous when first done, but the paint slowly seeps into the cracks and crevices and drys to create depth and shadow, bringing the model to life.

Once again set aside to dry.  The next phase will be a little bit of very light dry brushing to dull down some of the highlighted stones and to bring out the raised edges, then install on the landscape.

Novice
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Well i reckon it looks great novice, cant wait to see it on the layout.
Phill

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
It's going to be difficult to believe that it's the same model as the first picture.

Posted
Rating:
A superb treatment, Novice - what a transformation :!:

Posted
Rating:
Tim

Thanks, an enjoyable little project.  

Thanks also for the technical advice regarding the parts of a church. When I mentioned the nave I meant the 'extension' to the nave area often seen on english churches.  In other words you have the tower, followed by the main body, which I now know as the nave and then there is another section, in line with but often narrower and lower than the main body - not sure what the technical term for that is? Easier if I draw a picture - what's this bit called :?:

Novice

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
novice,an absolute treat to look at, what a transformation. :o  :o  :roll:  :roll:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Novice said

Easier if I draw a picture - what's this bit called :?:
Assuming that the orientation of the church building is traditional, ie. West to east, from the tower to the "other bit" - that other bit would house and be referred to as (1) the Choir (sometimes spelt 'Quire' if one is referring to architecture) and then (2) the Sanctuary, the furthest bit, which is where the altar is.

Any help :?:

Posted
Rating:
Tim

Thanks, I think it must be the sanctuary.  At least people now understand what I was talking about in my original explanation.  It is the lack of 'that bit' which allows me to fit the structure in the limited space on the layout.  :)

Novice

Posted
Rating:
Amazing the change from the original plastic two tone. Well done.

Just a thought,
Despite the black wash it's a very well kept and cared for church, maybe it's Tim's :?:  :lol:  :lol:
How about a bit of rust on the guttering and downpipes and some strategic "moss" green to give it a bit of character? or is Mr Dapol more successful with his church maintenance program than he is with running his railway construction company :?:  :roll:  :lol:  :lol:

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Great transformation. Well done, Novice.  I can see the windows better too  :)

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Marty

In fact one of Mr Dapol's cousins is responsible for church maintenance and he is nowhere near as conscientious as Mr Dapol.  When the Church is installed on the layout there will be weeds, growth and a little rust around the place :)

Novice

Posted
Rating:
Definitely NOT Tim's church then :lol:  :lol:

Looking forward to the photos.
cheers

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Novice,
What a transformation! That Church looks AWESOME!!!
One question, when you are covering the model with watered down black acrylic paint, do you ever wipe it off, or do you just let it dry the way it went on? Also, what ratio did you use to mix the water and paint? I guess that was two questions.:roll:
Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Wayne

If I get an accumulation of wash, say in a corner, what I do is wipe the brush on tissue an then dab the brush into the accumulated wash.  This draws it up.  Sometimes it works better to tip the model to encourage the puddle of paint to disburse.  The drying time is quite slow and there is time to experiment. One thing I should -probably have mentioned is that when doing a colour wash, the surface being painted should be kept as flat as possible.  So for the roof, for example, I tilt the model so that the roof slope is almost parallel to the worksurface. On roofs I like a bit of paint accumulation on the lower end of the slates.

Novice

Posted
Rating:
Wayne

Sorry, to answer your second question.  I do not use a precise measurement when I mix the paint. It depends on the intensity you want and the colour of the surface you are painting.  For the church I used a blob of acrylic paint about the size of 2 peas in an egg cup full of water.  I mix the paint with a small amount of water so it is like thick cream, then add more water.  This ensures the paint mixes properly. I use artists acrylic paints by Windsor and Newton, which come in tubes, rather than modelling acrylic, because it is more economic and I like the thick blob, rather than runny paint.

Novice

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the help Novice. I now have a Woodland Scenics instruction manual which should help a lot. Mom felt sorry for me and bought it yesterday.
When are you going to give up the name "Novice", I think I need it.:lol:
Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
During the last few days I have been doing some of the scenic work on my layout, which includes installing the church into its little corner, in effect providing a backdrop for the railway going through a cutting.  I still need to add some trees and of course install the back scene. Here is the church mounted on the layout:

As I mentioned elsewhere in the forum Mr Dapol has now embarked upon a new undertaking  :roll:  with one of his cousins.  He hopes to enhance the meagre wages paid by the Upton & Dunton Railway company.

Novice

Posted
Rating:
That looks great Novice just goes to show what you can do with a basic model

Brian(G)

Posted
Rating:
That looks so real and i like the 2 blokes digging the grave, also i noticed you was right about the maintanance around the church building, ie weeds growing. Think Mr Dapol is not shaking his stick at his cousin enough. Have a word would you. Bet Tims place is weed free  :D
Phill

Posted
Rating:

phill said

Bet Tims place is weed free  :D
Totally, Phill, totally.  No, wait - there's one.  Got it :!:

Brilliant location for the church, Novice.  Really enhances the corner of the layout :D
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.