What Part Of Railway Modelling Do You Dislike Most?

Posted
Rating:
#34916 (In Topic #2241)
Legacy Member
We have got the poll with your likes now try this one with your dislikes, as suggested. For myself I have put research, simply because I never do any.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
So far, Research is my least liked part of the hobby. Just like Bob.( but we are not twins)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
The question is do you not do research because you dislike it or do you just not need to?

There are a couple of things on the list that I never do, not because I dislike them but just don't need them.  Electrics however are an essential part and I hate them!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I almost went for electrics, but since that would include lighting of streets and buildings - which is almost fun - I went for baseboard building instead. I didn't fail carpentry at school for nothing.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I have to admit, I love every part of this wretched hobby.  Rick.  Are you anywhere near Blackwood?  I'll pop over and wire up your double slip for a beer . . .

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Because I don't need to I suppose Chris. Thinking about it though I can see that in fact I do a lot of research for modelling, books, magazines, internet, here, it's just not the prototype kind.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Leawarra?  That doesn't even have a post code . . .

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Time to change the vote then - go for electrics, you know it makes sense!  (Expect it doesn't and that is the problem for me!)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I have changed my vote to Tracklaying and altered the Prototype Research to Prototype Research If Required.

Posted
Rating:
I never, ever do any research !!!  All my ideas are from memory - that's why I'm planning and A4 racing an HST along the York to Hull branch line dated around 2006 !!!!!

I put electrics - not that I actually hate it, it's just that I don't understand it beyond connecting a red wire to one side and a black wire to the other !!  Yellow and green, or purple and orange - they're for someone else !!

As I'm going to be dual control - DC and DCC, it's a nightmare I'm putting off as long as I can.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Electrics ...... Anyone reading my posts will know why !!!!!!!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
i like it all really but i have more hassle with scenery so that is my vote,

:hmm:lol::lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I actually don't mind electrics - because it is a new thing to learn. 

My biggest dislike - the predictable ballasting :roll:

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
i have put down electrics.

i do like all parts of the hobby but when you are on your knees under the baseboard and you can't get a specific part of the wiring right i do get annoyed. but the wiring also gives you the most enjoyment. when i got my IR sensors done (8 in total)  all the 3 aspect signals working it was a joy to sit and watch the trains stop and go and the signals switching.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ah yes Matt - I really enjoy the end result, it's the "doing" I dislike !!

I love to see what others have achieved in lighting - both stock and streets - but the mysteries of how it's achieved is beyond me !!  Afterall, you can't "see" electricity so, until you notice the little blue flash when you connect it up, you don't realise you've wasted your time - to say nothing of "weathering" your new loco !!!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I've put painting your models. It's not even as if I'm completely crap at painting, although I've had to work harder at gaining the necessary skill than anything else we do.

It's because it's boring, it doesn't always come out as well as you would like and I regularly cock it up by trying to paint a second coat too early.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
It has to be ballasting for me.  Do it right and it can make a layout look superb, but mess it up and you really notice it.  So, I spend ages moving bits of 'stone' around with the end of a screwdriver so it is just right! 

However, since my layout is in an unheated room I rarely bother laying ballast in the winter because the watery glue takes so long to dry.  So now I won't have to worry about it until the spring! 
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hmmm ballasting:sad: anybody fancy a trip to Ireland to do some;-)
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.