Blossom Hill 2

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

A small 00 Branch Line

I've used a 30mm layer of XPS foam on top of the 6mm plywood top on my 5' x 2' 6" baseboard, with a 3mm layer of cork on top of that, so that I can sculpt out some scenery and avoid a totally flat baseboard.

I know some people use it as the main part of the baseboard and frame it with plywood or something similar.

XPS foam is expensive and the sheets I eventually got from Amazon are no longer available.

I'm afraid It's really a case of shop around.

Ed

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5 (Liked by Ed)
Some good news! The base boards have arrived and are sitting in the garage.  All being well I will unpack them and set them up over the weekend.  They are going into one of the attic bedrooms:
The new baseboards

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bob

I have just started reading - apologies - and note the options on scale.  If shunting is to be the end goal, why not think about 7mm?  Rob Gravett's O gauge Arun Quay (If I've got the wrong builder, I am truly sorry) is 6ft of shunting delight with beautiful scenics and plenty of realsim.  Well worth a look.  7mm gives you a much more intimate feel for a shunting layout I think - something I ahve always promised myself but never got round to.  These days, decent 7mm is about the same price as over-priced 4mm - but you need less of it!!

Regards

Barry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:

Barry Miltenburg said

Hi Bob

I have just started reading - apologies - and note the options on scale.  If shunting is to be the end goal, why not think about 7mm?  Rob Gravett's O gauge Arun Quay (If I've got the wrong builder, I am truly sorry) is 6ft of shunting delight with beautiful scenics and plenty of realsim.  Well worth a look.  7mm gives you a much more intimate feel for a shunting layout I think - something I ahve always promised myself but never got round to.  These days, decent 7mm is about the same price as over-priced 4mm - but you need less of it!!

Regards

Barry

Thanks Barry, an interesting idea.  I had not considered 7mm.  Will give it some thought.

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5 (Liked by Ed)
A Blank Canvas

The baseboard has been assembled and set up in the spare room.  It fits well, with plenty of room to move around the sides:

thumbnail_IMG_1843.jpg
I am playing around with some track to see what might work.  This is TT120, using 4th radius curves on an 8 x 4 board:

thumbnail_IMG_1844 (1).jpg
The advantages over 00 scale are evident from this picture, although I have not given up on an 00 layout.  More pondering.

Posted
Rating:
  Rob Gravett's O gauge Arun Quay

Ooops - its Gordon Gravett.  Sorry Gordon  :thud:

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:

Barry Miltenburg said

Rob Gravett's O gauge Arun Quay

Ooops - its Gordon Gravett.  Sorry Gordon  :thud:

I took a look; stunning little layout.  The coupling system looks very interesting and effective.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Hi Bob, good to see the Mojo slowly returning 😀 
talking 7mm, have you considered narrow gauge  ?  I'm cobbling together a small O.16.5  industrial - scenic  plank/ test track above my workbench. It doubles up as a rolling road/ test track for my OO stuff as well. It depends  how 'Hands on' you want to get though as there isn't a HUGE amount of RTR  out there but you can quite easily build small industrial shunters by adapting OO chassis and doner bodies or even build resin kits as I've started doing. The thing with it is, you get the decent size of O gauge, but on 16.5 track. You could do a front of house rural / industrial scene and a run round behind. It also means you can use anything accessory wise thats available  in 7mm 

Looking forward to seeing what route  you go down

Cheers

Matt

IMG_20240217_161034.jpg

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:

Barchester said

Hi Bob, good to see the Mojo slowly returning 😀 
talking 7mm, have you considered narrow gauge  ?  I'm cobbling together a small O.16.5  industrial - scenic  plank/ test track above my workbench. It doubles up as a rolling road/ test track for my OO stuff as well. It depends  how 'Hands on' you want to get though as there isn't a HUGE amount of RTR  out there but you can quite easily build small industrial shunters by adapting OO chassis and doner bodies or even build resin kits as I've started doing. The thing with it is, you get the decent size of O gauge, but on 16.5 track. You could do a front of house rural / industrial scene and a run round behind. It also means you can use anything accessory wise thats available  in 7mm 

Looking forward to seeing what route  you go down

Cheers

Matt

Thanks Matt, the larger scale is very tempting.  However, I seem to have my heart set on a GWR branchline through station.  I still cannot decide on whether to stay with 00 or move towards TT120.  I am being influenced by the old Witney to Fairford line, although I have yet to fix a location.  All that said, I can see the modelling advantages of 16.5 scale or straight forward O Gauge.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
The Hornby TT120 5700 pannier is due in Phase 4, problem is they haven't said when Phase 4 is likely to happen.

Ed

Posted
Rating:

Ed said

The Hornby TT120 5700 pannier is due in Phase 4, problem is they haven't said when Phase 4 is likely to happen.

Ed

Yes, with their previous track record phase 4 is likely to drift to the right somewhat too.  I may buy a little 08 shunter as a test bed vehicle as an interim measure just to get something on the track and to test uncoupling systems.  Can't really see an A1 or A4 shunting on a branchline!

Posted
Rating:
Nice looking baseboards Bob - White Rose or someone else ?

Very nice set-up you've got for yourself Matt .....................

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:

Petermac said

Nice looking baseboards Bob - White Rose or someone else ?

Very nice set-up you've got for yourself Matt .....................

Hi Peter,

I purchased them from a company in Ireland - Model Rail Baseboards.  Very efficient and pleasant to deal with.

Posted
Rating:
Looking for Inspiration

For some months I have been reading books and consulting the internet for that perfect track plan.  A few days ago I stumbled upon Eynsham, a small branch line station on the Oxford, Witney Fairford line. It looks like it was designed for the railway modeller who is using sectional track and has most of the branch line features:

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 12.39.09.png
Eynsham_Station_1956.jpg
My station will be called Blossom Hill, but will be heavily based upon the features of Eynsham.  I will almost certainly be working in TT120 and I think I will set the period to around 1950 as this will assist me with the current shortage of TT120 rolling stock and locomotives.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Just wondering why they built an additional passing loop between the ground frame and the cattle dock/goods shed.

Ed

Posted
Rating:

Ed said

Just wondering why they built an additional passing loop between the ground frame and the cattle dock/goods shed.

Ed
There is nothing in the blurb regarding why it is laid out that way, just described as the goods loop.  Its a real bonus for a railway modeller though!

Posted
Rating:
That, or rather similar track plans to that, must have been very popular Bob and one can see why.  It does everything one would need for a country through station.

I grew up just outside Stamford Bridge near York and, move the intermediate goods loops Ed mentioned to the south of the platform leaving the single track and goods shed in situ, move the signal box to the south east side of the level crossing, double the running lines outside the station area and you have exactly the same track plan.

Are you happy with the TT120 track - is it fairly robust ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:

Ed said

Ed
Hi Ed, further to my last response, I had a better look at the station history. It seems that the southern platform and the passing loop were added during WW2 (not sure why, possibly to support locla US airbases?).  The original passing loop was next to the goods shed and I am guessing the second loop was added as a goods loop. Here is a map of the station in 1914:

Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 09.17.08.png

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Doesn't seem to be a goods shed in 1914, so maybe they added the extra loop when the shed was built.

According to Wikipedia the loop and second platform where for extra traffic in preparation for the Normandy landings,.

Eynsham railway station - Wikipedia

Ed

Posted
Rating:

Ed said

Doesn't seem to be a goods shed in 1914, so maybe they added the extra loop when the shed was built.

According to Wikipedia the loop and second platform where for extra traffic in preparation for the Normandy landings,.

Ed

Ed said

Ed

I think the goods shed is the large building on the far left at the end of the main platform.  The station building is the smaller, solid black building over to the right (east).

The Normandy landings would make sense.  It seems that the WW2 platform was moved to Didcot when the station was demolished.

Bob
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.