Dapol B4

Posted
Rating:
#288399 (In Topic #21710)

4mm

I've got the above loco,and lovely looking model that it is, It's turned a wheel on the drive axle. I used 5 min' Araldite after cleaning it yo with IPA to give me time to get it in the quartering jig,before going off. I left it overnight and next day it was still easy to turn.

I'm wondering if the same has happened to anyone else. I ask because I'd like to know if it's a common fault. It's about 18 months old, so out of warranty.

I've emailed DCC Supplies but don't expect a reply until some time in the week.

Cheers Pete.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Shame about that Pete.  Loctite for sleeves makes a good bond.  This stuff is used for loco wheels such as Ultrascale and Gibson.

https://www.amazon.ca/Loctite-37424-Strength-Retainer-6-milliliter/dp/B0002KKTIG?th=1

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Bummer!!! I've got some Loctite somewhere. I've sent off to DCC Supplies now for a new wheel set. If I ever find my stuff (red) I'll do the job anyway. I've got a NWSL jig but I don't know if I'd have time to do it with the loctite on.

Another thing is, that I didn't get a notification for your reply. I'll ask a mod if they know what's going on.

Edited to say, thanks and thatI've looked at it and it gives plenty of time before curing.

Last edit: by peterm

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
If you have a new wheel set coming, IMO it would be better to use that.  I have no idea what the issue is with the old wheels.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Thanks John,

Well I've baulked at the price. £12.50 for one geared axle and £16.00 for postage. I've got some Loctitie 640 on the way so I'll see how that goes. A$32.00 including postage from the US. If any others play up, I'll be able to fix them as well.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Ouch, yes.  The postage can be a deal breaker.  Good luck with your repair.

Surprised that you have to go all the way to the US for Loctite.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
It's coming from Amazon.au. If I could find it here it'd cost more than the tube I've ordered, and that's a big if. All the sites I've been on not only have just 250ml bottles, but they won't give you a price unless you have an account and log in.

Good old Australia.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Amazon is REALLY good.  I've been buying various things of late (I love the Kindle books) and they mostly take just a day or two to get here (unless it has to come from abroad).  Shipping is free too due to the Prime thing.  It is easier and almost quicker to buy from Amazon than to go to a store which may or may not have what you want.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
I'll second that about Amazon.

The number of times I've trawled through numerous shops, probably in at least 2 if not 3 local towns looking for things, drawn a blank only to find Amazon can deliver them to my door within 2 days. 

It's a win, win situation - I get my goods and save on time, fuel and frustration.

Unfortunately, it will ultimately lead to the demise of "local" shops just as supermarkets killed off the high streets.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Well, Peter, the "local" shops need to step up their game, but competing head to head with Amazon is a losing proposition.

Online shopping has also spelled the demise of the "local" hobby shop.  Unless they can carve out a niche on the Internet they will not be able to survive (thinking of Hatton's and Rails).  When we had a model shop, I only used it for things like paint, glue etc.  That shop has gone now although the owner crops up at shows with a table full of stuff.

Again I find that online hobby shops are much like Amazon, good selection, fast delivery and, if you surpass the minimum order, free shipping.  Can't be beat.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Yes, it's a shame to see local shops close. I used to travel from Bribie to Brisbane to use Austral Modelcraft, but they closed too, although that might have been health related. With so many people turning to on line shopping, we're all being forced into it.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
I tend to be a bit of a luddite, I still refuse to have a mobile.  However, now that I've been using online shops it is so much more efficient.  It lacks the social aspect of actual shops though.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Ha ha. I've got a mobile but still a bit of a Luddite: I get my eldest son who lives with us to help me with it. I'm OK on the laptop, etc, but phones, well…

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Success! Thanks to John (Brossard) I got the Loctite 640 and very carefully put a tiny spot on the inside of the wheel centre. Put the wheel on and put it in the NWSL quartering jig and then went to put it all back together again, only to find that I'd managed to lose the keeper plate. :cry: I thought I'd put all the bits
in a box, but there it was… gone. Sent off to DCC Supplies and got another one (just waiting to stumble across the original one now) and it's all back together and running every bit as smoothly as before.

Thanks again, John. I should have thought of that meself.

Last edit: by peterm

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
 :thumbs: Excellent news Peter.  I used loctite to fix a lubricator crank on my J39 this week.  It had a grub screw to secure it to the crankpin but the crank wouldn't stay put.  Loctite did the job.

ANMP0001.jpg
There's also a washer to prevent the conn rod from fouling the lubricator crank.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Marvellous stuff, John.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:

Brossard said

Amazon is REALLY good.  I've been buying various things of late (I love the Kindle books) and they mostly take just a day or two to get here (unless it has to come from abroad).  Shipping is free too due to the Prime thing.  It is easier and almost quicker to buy from Amazon than to go to a store which may or may not have what you want.

John

Slightly off topic but I never use Amazon due to what I consider to be the Amazon Prime rip-off, I don't see why I should pay a subscription just because I want to order something and I don't like the way they make it difficult to cancel. I am afraid for all it's faults I use Ebay instead, at least I only pay what the product is advertised for and there are no sneaky further deductions from my credit card….. Ahh that feels better, rant over :)

Roger OO DC Steam

Posted
Rating:

fourtytwo said

Brossard said

John

Slightly off topic but I never use Amazon due to what I consider to be the Amazon Prime rip-off, I don't see why I should pay a subscription just because I want to order something and I don't like the way they make it difficult to cancel. I am afraid for all it's faults I use Ebay instead, at least I only pay what the product is advertised for and there are no sneaky further deductions from my credit card….. Ahh that feels better, rant over :)

Well, OK.  But a Prime subscription gives you free shipping and access to the Prime streaming channel.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Also, I keep getting free membership trials that I cancel before the due date for payment.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
I happily pay my Amazon Prime subs although I don't actually use anything other than their free delivery service.  Amazon TV here in France is not something I'd travel to watch (it's cr#p !) but I do frequently shop with both them and their "partners".  If one adds up the normal goods delivery charges, and the costs associated with "live" shopping (fuel/parking/time) it quickly overtakes their annual subscription fee.  Of course it does tend to make one feel as if you're living alone in a cave ……………….

Naturally, if you don't do much online shopping, then subscribing is a no-no.

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.