First Shelf layout - OO gauge

Posted
Rating:

A shelf layout to fit in the closet

Yes that's the plan Bill. I have already learned a lot!
Though I certainly do also have a lot of creativity flowing around…. I have absolutley no shortage of ideas!
My goal is to "Finish" this layout this year, before I can more seriously think about planning something else.
Darius

- Darius
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I've been working away slowly but consistently on the layout. Though it seems like I don't have enough to show for it…!
But I do have a nice big upgrade - I have a workspace now! my previous desk was nice but very small, so I picked up an antique beast for free from Facebook marketplace. It's kind of funny because the last desk was also free from FB marketplace. Now I can leave the layout setup on the desk to work on it (So much for keeping it in the closet). It's been nice, I can just leave it set up all the time and chip away at it, bit by bit.

And that's exactly what I've been doing! It's all pretty much ballasted except for the points now (which I've been putting off). Also finished my scalescenes coal office and some scratchbuilt coal staithes.

I think I'll have to change my plans though. I was going to put the coal staithes and office down in the wedge between the sidings,(above the brake van), but now that I have everything ballasted and am testing the buildings in position, I think it will be too crowded (assuming I want road access, my original plan for a level crossing will also be nixed). Instead, I think I'll put it on the top siding, which is where I was originally planning on putting a goods shed. (Any tips on position? Unfortunately, I think the only logical position is with the back of the building facing the front of the layout).
Now that I'm at this stage, I'm realizing many things that I would do differently next time…. but that's okay! I'll just pivot and keep going however I can.

I'm not sure of what else to put into the little wedge where I was originally going to have the coal setup, it's not very much space to use. Maybe some old ties and bits of track… and I think I might just give the whole layout a more "overgrown/disused" feeling than I originally intended.

I also realized that I'll need to build a ramp from the station platform down to the signalbox/ticket office… Don't want people to jump! I know that my station isn't prototypical by a long shot, but do you think I should put the station building on an angle roughly matching the tracks, or parallel with the retaining wall at back?
IMG_5093.jpg

- Darius

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Coming on nicely Darius, ballasting looks good.

Think the station building looks right where it is, and I agree you don't want to make it all look too crowded.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hi Darius,
Perhaps the wedge could be a bit of 'nature' with a few trees and shrubs. On the other hand a little hut for the maintenance crew could also be an option.

Cheers,
Claus

Cheers,
Claus
www.flickr.com/photos/ellef/

Posted
Rating:
Hi Darius

Apologies for being late onto your thread but I have been somewhat engaged away from YMR for some time and am only really catching up with everything

Firstly, I admire your decision to build something small and simple.  I think it was Iain Rice who said in one of his books that we should not build a massive layout to discover that we can't build trees.  His point was that a 3ft x 2ft layout will teach you all you need to learn when you build the next layout.

I'm a little uncertain from your trackplan how you intend to shunt into the paltform if there is something beside the coal staithes.  Are you planning on passenger coaches - because your kick back/headshunt is quite short?

As far as that little wedge of space is concerned, I would consider a yard crane (Ratio or Wills make a kit - simple to make and a useful addition to any yard)

I look forward to further progress

Barry

(Yarslow Model Railway)

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.