This is a Prohibited Import into Australia

Posted
Rating:
#30723 (In Topic #2062)
Inactive Member
Iansa was right. I received a very terse letter from Australian Customs, the fly swat was siezed and I was threatened with prosecution if I am found committing this offence in the future.

Grass - Static - Application Tool - Do It Yourself.

As an ex police officer and now an Honourary Magistrate, I was embarrassed to have been compromised by this transaction.

The electric fly swat is considered to be an implement of cruelty to living creatures.

There is now a notice on the web site re this matter, but be careful.

Cheers. Max

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
how can one explain the logic ? its ok to clobber a fly with anything to
hand  "not cruel " but use an implement designed for the job
thats "cruelty "
the mind boggles !!!:thud:thud;-):lol::lol::lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
This example shows how we have to be carefull recommending things being a forum that has many members from lots of differant countries.

The fly swat is considered fine in the UK and is freely available but obviously the Australian authorities take a differant view about the product.

My wife has just told me in the Uk any food establishment has to have a fly zapper installed and it is part of the yearly health checks that the zapper is working properly.

One question that it does pose to me how are flies controlled in Australia as in most food establishments here they have simlar static electronic zappers installed here in the Uk.

Is there a more humane fly killer in Australia.

cheers Brian

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I dont think its that the swatter causes distress to the flies its more that they have been used to 'control' or chastise' other animals. I was speaking to my cousin earlier today whos a Police chief in Oz and he thinks its stupid as well!!

sign of the times!

Mikey
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Perhaps the more efficient controller of flies in Australia are the poisonous spiders they have!!
Mikey
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
i thought the EU was bad. it is the same as the testors dull coat, this is banned in the EU:twisted: 
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=52]henryparrot[/user] wrote:
This example shows how we have to be carefull recommending things being a forum that has many members from lots of differant countries.

The fly swat is considered fine in the UK and is freely available but obviously the Australian authorities take a differant view about the product.

My wife has just told me in the Uk any food establishment has to have a fly zapper installed and it is part of the yearly health checks that the zapper is working properly.

One question that it does pose to me how are flies controlled in Australia as in most food establishments here they have simlar static electronic zappers installed here in the Uk.

Is there a more humane fly killer in Australia.

cheers Brian

88mm Anti-Aircraft Guns and Exocets work well on the blowflies. :mutley
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Yeah but do you fancy trying to import one of those:hmm:hmm

'Kev

Posted
Rating:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
Iansa was right. I received a very terse letter from Australian Customs, the fly swat was siezed and I was threatened with prosecution if I am found committing this offence in the future.

Grass - Static - Application Tool - Do It Yourself.

As an ex police officer and now an Honourary Magistrate, I was embarrassed to have been compromised by this transaction.

The electric fly swat is considered to be an implement of cruelty to living creatures.

There is now a notice on the web site re this matter, but be careful.

Cheers. Max

I'm astonished they have issues with this in Australia.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
as I said to Chris, if anyone in GB is willing to buy one, cut the handle off and send it to me as model train parts, it should be OK. I will pay - I'm good for it - ask Sol. I still owe him money!

The fly is Australia's national bird, so I can understand how the Government feels. The great Ozzie salute is fanning flys. Note, fanning, not killing.

Cheers. Max

Posted
Rating:
What about one of those bushman's hats with corks on strings around the brim?  Any use?  ;-);-);-);-)

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Tim, while those hats may keep flys away, I cannot see them make grass stand up straight :mutley
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I know it is an australian stereotype thing but does anyone actualy where the hats with corks on strings?

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hp cause they do, haven`t you seen crocodile dundee ?

:mutley:mutley:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I tried one of those hats once - it was more annoying than the flies.
 I would've thought those insect zapper lights would be more of a concern than the fly swat. Those things are indiscriminate.
 My wife bought me a spring-loaded gun that fires a swat at the flies. Can be quite messy :shock:

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=8]MikeC[/user] wrote:
 My wife bought me a spring-loaded gun that fires a swat at the flies. Can be quite messy :shock:
 Mike

Yeah, but lots of fun. :twisted:

But I don't think they'll make the grass stand up either.

Max, thanks for testing the importation boundaries for us Aussies in your ah "official capacity". Your sacrifice is duly admired :doublethumb

Now… for pete's sake can one of you lads in Blighty send him one as spare model railway parts please :question 

Probably best to send it to a PO Box Max, don't want to get rapped on the knuckles twice :cool wink

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
It was coming to my PO Box. The problem is that the shipper put "Electric Fly Swat" on the paper work - as you would. en passant, my address is PO Box 609 BLACKWOOD  SA  5051.
I did try one of those hats with the corks, but the static grass went everywhere . . .

Posted
Rating:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=13]Matt[/user] wrote:
i thought the EU was bad. it is the same as the testors dull coat, this is banned in the EU:twisted: 

:hmm I think us Irish done enough to keep Brussels quite for a while:mutley, If only we figured out how to sort Dublin out then we ll even be happier!!!. Since the Celtic Tiger has gone for a well earned rest,the Irish customs have gotten very strict on imports from outside the EU:cry:.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Owen has kindly offered to get me one - the handle only, Big Brother  Thanks Owen
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.