Chain Wire Fence

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member

on a budget

Thanks Alan. There is a kit available which uses similar stuff to tulle, but much coarser and only in short lengths. Three hundred mils of three metre wide tulle was good as I didn't have to make a join.

Jeff. I'd have to do a lot of layouts at 50 quid a go to pay for the air fare - but I'm sure accommodation wouldn't be a problem!
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks Petermac. That pic was taken during a club working bee, would you believe, by Iansa's son, Adam.

It's actually a Cornerstone New River Mining Company kit. It's a coal preparation plant. The structure disappearing into the hill is a conveyor which brings the coal up from underground.  It is crushed and screened and loaded into the train for transportation.

The smaller tipple being fed by the smaller conveyor contains screenings which are not suitable for the major customer, but are loaded into the truck for domestic sale. The D9 cat dozer was supplied in error by the company who supplied the other models, and I didn't have the heart to send it back.

The plant has 29 LEDs for internal and external lighting.  The lights on each building on the layout can be switched from the side panels - separate switches for inside and/or outside lights.

The soil is garden loam which I got from my local gardening supplies depot.  It is the cheapest stuff they sell.  I don't even sieve it, just bung it on - lumps, sticks, roots and all. The white stuff is beach sand. I have to sieve it to get the seaweed out.

Cheers. Max

Posted
Rating:
Max, now that is the first time I have seen a fence look like a fence! Absolutely a great job there and also a super explanation on how you did it.

I may now include a fence in my plans. I didn't want one before because they just did not look up to par, but yours does! :doublethumb :wow

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I agree, Wayne - this looks like a real fence.
 Superb work, Max! That's easily the best one I've seen, and I've looked at a lot of US layouts.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Oh  - one dumb question Max  - piano wire - where do you get it, please?

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Great "How I dun' it" Max. Well thought out and presented.
I don't need a fence like that for the NE layout but I know where to look when I DO need one.
cheers

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
:doublethumb great looking fence there mate, first class job and i love the plant area as well, well done.#

Phill

Posted
Rating:
[user=8]MikeC[/user] wrote:
Oh - one dumb question Max - piano wire - where do you get it, please?

Mike
A piano ? :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::cool wink

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Petermac is on the vino again?:mutley:mutley

Mikec, any good model shop should sell it.:thumbs;-):lol::lol::cool:

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I was going to say, "From any piano", but seriously, Petermac, any model shop will have it.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks lads. It makes me feel good to get positive comments from such capable fellow modellers.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
:mutley:mutley
Thanks. I have to admit I wouldn't have thought of asking for it at my model shop.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Mike, I think in Oz, it comes under the K&S brand.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thanks Ron.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Just to add my praise to the best fence I have ever seen - really great work Max!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max

Will alter that to hello next time as it makes you sound like our local cinema.
I have not put a chain link fence on a layout for years but I used the little mesh bags that some small veggies come in. I keep looking as I am forced round the supermarket and what I would use currently are the ones we get 3 cloves of garlic in. You get an Authentic diamond shape mesh and by varying the tension you get different sizes of mesh.

Hope this helps

Regards
Jim

Because, except in some unfortunate circumstances, trains did not run on town centre streets

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Jim

When the email advice for this post came in I had no idea what it was about.  :lol:

2008!   I was much younger then.  ;-)

I can't say I've seen the mesh bags, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Banned
I think it's  funny how threads like this resurface after I have bought Ratio Security Fence kit… :roll: Only if I had of trawled the forum better… :cry: Oh well…

Cheers, Gary.

ps, great fence Max. :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Hello Max

These examples are from Morrisons (other supermarket chains are available) but I assume you will have different custom and practice for shopping in Oz.
You can see the variable link size effect in the second picture. Superglue attach where the joints are on the side of the fence away from direct view.

OK it's fiddly but it works and you get some veggies to keep you healthy.

Regards
Jim

Because, except in some unfortunate circumstances, trains did not run on town centre streets

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, Gary.

Thanks, Jim.   You can tell I don't do the shopping very often.  :lol:
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.