Comments On Alan's Photography Tutorial.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Marty/John

I feel like a really proud school teacher, seeing his pupils learning very fast, and the results are very very good, so different. Don't know what I might have unleased regarding John :mutley:mutley

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
This is a great tutorial but I'm going to have to remember this thread until I feel I have something to photograph.:cry:

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
rjr
Guest user
Great picture improvement Marty, how much experimenting did you have to do to get that ?? I found last night that within an hour of playing I could get a decent picture in every 2. This in itself is a vast improvement over auto as I was only keeping 1 in 10 pics before, not to mention the quality improvement !!!

Glad your proud of us Alan, its nice to think that you can get something out of helping us!! What's next sir ???????

John
RJR
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Next Lesson!

Will be about ISO.

But it will probably not be for around a week, work commitments are slowing me down at the moment, I have even had to give up golf, I only played twice this year at my local course, which meant a very expensive couple of rounds of golf.

Now lads just go and play until the bell rings for the next lesson:mutley

Marty you have made a very good decision regarding the Fuji, and all browser software are basically the same at the end of the day, but I am sure that you will still be able to use the Canon version. Looking forward to seeing some images taken with the new Fuji.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=3]Gwent Rail[/user] wrote:
I have one question for you to answer, it's a bit theoretical (in that I think I know the answer) but highly practical (because I'm sure it aplies to many more people than just me) :-

My non SLR camera (Fuji Finepix S6500fd), although quite a good and versatile model costing several hundred pounds, has a maximum lens aperture of F8. How can I take photos with good close up detail and maximise the depth of field :question 

Hi Jeff

Sorry that my answer to your question has taken a couple of days, but I wanted to check the answer,  before coming back to you, but the answer is as I thought.

You cannot increase the depth of field other that increasing the aperture, but I did try and increase the ISO/ASA, to see if that might help you, all that upping the ISO does is up the shutter speed, and as the two images below show, the depth of field does not alter. Hope that this helps.

First image

100 ISO   f8     shutter speed 1.6th

Second Image

3200 ISO  F8   Shutter speed 60th

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thanks Alan, just as I thought, I'm afraid.

The only alternative I can see is to take a wider angle photo from further away, with the camera set to it's absolute maximum photo quality and then crop the result in photoshop (or other manipulation package). The wider angle lens should give better depth and the distance should make more of the selected image in focus (use spot focussing). Hopefully you'll then be cropping out the out-of-focus part of the image.

Does this make sense :question Not as good as a larger f-stop, I know, but an aceptable compromise perhaps :question:question
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Jeff

That's one way, but don't take the photo from to far away, and then over crop, as that will  give you a over pixelated image.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Trickey stuff, this digital photography :exclam
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=205]rjr[/user] wrote:
Great picture improvement Marty, how much experimenting did you have to do to get that ?? I found last night that within an hour of playing I could get a decent picture in every 2. This in itself is a vast improvement over auto as I was only keeping 1 in 10 pics before, not to mention the quality improvement !!

John
RJR

Had to think about this one John,

In all honesty I think I spent about 20mins with the camera and just fired of a score of photos at maximum f8.0 with a few variations in the shutter speed to see what it did to the exposure.

Because I'm still building the diorama it was really just an experiment in depth of field and exposure and there was little attempt to frame and compose the shots. Something I am looking forward to doing for the next "exposure" :sad: of the diorama's development.  :lol::lol::lol:

I do agree though that instead of 1 out of 20 there are probably 10 that now have a decent depth of field and exposure.

I'm waiting for the Fuji to arrive, tracking the parcel online as it makes it's way from Sydney to Perth (yes I know, let it go, let it go), then I'll play some more…
… and yes, the bug has bit :thumbs

Thank you Mr Alan :Happy

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Marty

Has the new camera arrived yet, as I am looking forward to seeing some images from it.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I will be working at home tonight, and thought about putting together a home studio, showing you how easy it can be to photograph individual models, is this something you would all like to see.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Yes, yes, yes, yes. That's a yes Alan & Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
i get the impression Bob would like that Alen !!
so would i please.

:mutley;-):lol::lol::lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I'm afraid the tutorial regarding the home studio will have to wait untill tomorrow night, as I have only just got back, sorry but I will sort it out for you all.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Good on you, Alan. Sounds very interesting.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=285]Alan[/user] wrote:
Marty

Has the new camera arrived yet, as I am looking forward to seeing some images from it.

It has, came in Monday while I was in the shop putting up Christmas trees, decorations and stock.

I had to be really, really disciplined and finish the shop work before I could indulge myself and open the package. Even then I didn't get the opportunity to charge the battery until last night.

Needless to say I've been … ahhh testing :thumbs but only a little bit. Took me a while to work out how to get the manual settings to work.

Here is the first photo the camera has taken.

Full auto mode, just point and shoot.

This is Paddington. Unamused by the whole thing.

… and a test shot of the Diorama, I think this was photo three in manual without much thought in presentation or lighting so please accept it as it is.

I'm going to post another better framed photo in the diorama thread as a progress update.

Data for the above photo below if it is of any interest.
Camera Make: FUJIFILM
Camera Model: FinePix S100FS
Date/Time: 2008:11:04 22:21:00
Resolution: 800 x 600
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 7.1mm (35mm equivalent: 29mm)
CCD Width: 8.70mm
Exposure Time: 1.300 s
Aperture: f/11.0
ISO Equiv.: 200
Whitebalance: Manual
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
Exposure Mode: Auto bracketing

cheers

Last edit: by Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
rjr
Guest user
And this is your FIRST attempt !!!!!!!

We better look out in the next few days there will be no limits to what the results will be !!!

Well done
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Marty - I'm taking up lawn bowls!

Posted
Rating:
Nice crop John, I like that!! :lol:
Photos, photos, photos but somewhere along the line I've got to do some modelling too?

Thanks Max :lol::lol::lol:

Last edit: by Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
Marty - I'm taking up lawn bowls!

Will that be on you computer :mutley:mutleyor at the back of your layout.

Marty

Great start to your new career, I 'm so pleased that you can already see the difference between your old camera and the new one, you can also see the difference that f11 makes, will you be writing the next Tutorial for me.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.