Wayne's South Shore Baseboards

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Everyone for your comments. I have decided to post here the layout diagram, so that everyone commenting on this issue can see what I'm dealing with.

I will repost it in my "South Shore" thread in the Members Personal Layout Section, once I get the baseboards started.

Anyway, here it is:

Well, that didn't show up very well. I hope this at least will give you all an idea of what the shape of the baseboards will be like.

A little explanation:

1. The right hand side of the picture is a wall, as is the lower right hand bottom. The 45 degree line that drops down to the center bottom of the photo is a wall also. Actually it's a sliding glass door!

The "View" from inside the house is mainly from the entire left side and lower left bottom.

I went out and did some pricing today on components for the baseboard. I hope to be starting this within the next two weeks. At this point however I'm still not happy with the track layout on the extreme right side, up against the wall. So expect some changes there, but not to the baseboard shape.

Wayne

Last edit: by Wayne Williams

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Happy with it Wayne :question I can't even see it :exclam :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry my friend, but I'll have to give you a "should try harder" for that reproduction. :mutley:mutley

Is there another way you can post this image, wayne :question  I'm really keen to try to be of help   …   honest:exclam 
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I'll see what I can do! May take a day though.

Wayne

This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
We're happy to wait a day Wayne - I can only just make out the main bits but not at all clear. :???::???:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I have edited the above picture with a brighter version, hopefully everyone can at least see the shape of the baseboards now.

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Wayne,do we take it you can walk round three sides of the board ?

i do not see any probs with the plan as such, another query,
are the center parts tunnels?

:hmm;-):lol::lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=15]owen69[/user] wrote:
Wayne,do we take it you can walk round three sides of the board ?

i do not see any probs with the plan as such, another query,
are the center parts tunnels?

Owen, where you can see the "sleepers" the track is visible, where you just see two parallel lines the track is hidden under a mountain or such.

You can walk up to the left hand side and around what would be the top of the photo. The area at the bottom of the photo is only accessible about one half of the way in from the left side. So that means the bottom right and right side are walls. Guess that was an easier way of saying it wasn't it?

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
That's much better Wayne.

I presume there will be comments to follow when we've all had time to study your plan. :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
The plan is really easy to see and follow now if you use your browser zoom to fill the screen with the drawing.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Wayne a quick look at your trackplan

The area to the right station termnus goods yard MPD or fiddle yard is fed by a single track and one set of points .

Would it not pay to have a Wye to enable rolling stock and engines to enter and leave the single track in either direction onto your loops i know it will mean2 more sets of points and additional wiring but it will help with operations.

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Wayne - I've had a sort of "shifty" at the plan and I think most of it will be great fun to operate.

The bit I'm not sure about is the part you already have doubts about - and HP has also commented on - the right hand side MPD or yard.

Studying it,  it looks "strange".  My feeling is that it would look better with a "ladder" siding arrangement rather than a fan like the this one from Sol's layout:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj92/solgwr/sunjul13002.jpg

Move the track over to one side or the other (maybe the right would be better for access to the stock) - this would also "ease" the curve into the yard - and feed the sidings off one after the other.  My feeling is, (for what it's worth !!), that it would make a "neater" pattern.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=52]henryparrot[/user] wrote:
The area to the right station termnus goods yard MPD or fiddle yard is fed by a single track and one set of points .

Would it not pay to have a Wye to enable rolling stock and engines to enter and leave the single track in either direction onto your loops i know it will mean2 more sets of points and additional wiring but it will help with operations.

Brian, two more points don't bother me, I have so many now, I don't even want to count them. :chicken

I'm not sure exactly where you are saying to put the two points. Could you please explain it better? Remember I'm new to all this! :mutley

Wayne

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
i thought it was a righthanded ladder on the sidings,Petermac
looks like it to me.

as for a y, we will have to see what hp means.
:hmm:lol::lol::cool:

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Heres my kiddy drawing of a wye Wayne if you look at it you will see it would fit on your layout where the siding point leves the loops on your layout drawing .

point c is your existing point on your layout
post again if unsure what i mean here

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=15]owen69[/user] wrote:
i thought it was a righthanded ladder on the sidings,Petermac
looks like it to me.

………………………………………
:hmm:lol::lol:

Maybe you're right Owen, having looked at it again.  I just thought it seemed to start off with a fan which then "laddered" :???::???::oops:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Petermac so did i at first.

Wayne, i can see what Hp is getting at now, so it is up to you
run one way only,or in opposite directions.
you understand now?

:hmm;-):lol::lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Wayne, I think I've got it now. Just one queery  …   Could you describe exactly what's going on in the two boxes outlined in orange. (height of tracks in relation to each other, are they crossovers and where does the tunnel section start).

Here's the marked plan :-

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Jeff, in the upper right hand box there is a 6" height between the two tracks, and in the lower left box there is a 7" height difference.

The tunnel portals are located where the sleepers stop. I know it's kind of hard to see in that picture, but they are shown on it.

Brian,
I see what you are saying, but doesn't that cause an electrical short in the track?

Wayne :hmm

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Wayne

Yes it does cause an electrical short but depending if you are dc or dcc there are ways of doing it so it is something that you can do.

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I am sore, tired, and ready to quit for today. However it was a very good day in that I finished assembling my baseboards. Now don't get all excited, because I still don't have a top on them, but still, it was a great day.

They are all still out in the garage waiting for me to heal and rest up. Then the tops will be cut out and then I intend to stain the whole lot. Just so they don't look like raw wood for a long period of time.

Yes, to answer the obvious question that I know will be asked, they do come apart so I can move them from the garage into the train room. More work, but it was the only way I knew to do it.

Pleas ignore the messy garage, someone has been working out there all day long. :wow :wow :wow

Wayne

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.