Recent vs New Posts

Posted
Rating:
Oh look size 3. easy when you know how hey. :D:D

Phill
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

I originally voted for 'new posts' but having used the forum for a few days have changed my vote to the last option as it seems to provide both 'recent' and 'new posts'

'Kev

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
I am like the wind - changes.

After playing with this new forum now for a few days or more. I find the current "Recent" too much.

Prefer "New Posts since last visit"

Why - well under Recent, there are many posts that I have read & may have responded to but they stay  on the screen - OK, the icon changes  colour but the post stays there. Why leave info on the screen that I have already read even 2 days ago? If The Recent was set for 24 hours then they disappeared , well then that would be OK.

New Posts - if I don't get to read them before I log out -well bad luck on my part - I can always go to my favourite forum sections & look at the list of latest posts on that.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Agree with Ron for all the same reasons
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Well I've changed my vote to just RECENT from both.
Why?
Although, as Ron says, the recent posts run over several pages, the software seems to be smart enough to know what I have read the last time I was on the forum and only puts the Green down arrow on the topics that have NEW posts in them since I last visited.
By clicking on the Green Arrow I am linked to directly to the first new post in the topic since my last visit.
Brilliant.
If I refresh the screen, it does the same thing, any new post is indicated by the down green arrow.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
I agree with you Marty in that small arrows are there but why, if the software is that smart to remember what is new for you compared to your last visit & label those accordingly, why not just display those posts, not all the others that you had read before?

I am being a :evil: advocate here on this topic.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Good point Ron.
Perhaps to allow easier access to a recent post that you remembered seeing and want to refer to again.
That is… rather than having to search through the entire forum.
Just a thought, personally I can see that happening but not often.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I agree with you Marty in that small arrows are there but why, if the software is that smart to remember what is new for you compared to your last visit & label those accordingly, why not just display those posts, not all the others that you had read before?
The reason is that's what the word Recent means. If you click a thing called Recent, you should get Recent. Not something else. Recent means topics with activity recently. That's what you get. You might want to read them more than once.

What is really needed is not Recent. Nor Posts Since last Visit. What we need is Unread Posts regardless of when they were posted. I believe this has been asked for on WowUltra. An upgrade is expected soon. It may contain this. But why not everybody join the WowUltra board and ask for it again? Loud and clear. http://www.wowultra.com/forum/
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Ok. I have started a topic on WowUltra. Asking for Unread Posts list.

http://wowultra.com/forum/forum8/960.html

Please everybody register on there. Then say "me too" on that topic. Mass action works!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
OK,assume we have an Unread Psots.

I click on it, read what I want to read, leave, come back the next day & the posts that I did not read previously are again on display. If I do not want to read them, how do I remove them from the list easily?

I think the options of  "Recent" & to me that means within 24  hours; "Unread Posts"  & " New Posts since last Visit" would then let each member decide what is best for them on each log-in to the forum.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
donegal, I joined & read your post.

Firstly what you are asking is for what forum? WowUltra or this YMR forum?Other forums using Wow may not need that.

Why can't the 3 options be presented? Or is that too hard for the software?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
And donegal, before you come back & say  - use "Mark all forums read" button, that is only in the Ultra theme, not the other themes which appear to be in favour with some members.

Yes WoWUltra Forum only uses the one theme but we are not that Forum,
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=251]donegal[/user] wrote:
Ok. I have started a topic on WowUltra. Asking for Unread Posts list.

http://wowultra.com/forum/forum8/960.html

Please everybody register on there. Then say "me too" on that topic. Mass action works!
I would sincerely ask members not to do this under any circumstances. Jim is a one man show and like all of us has a list of priorities with regard to the software and it's future development. Over all the wowultra forums there must be hundreds of different needs being shouted for by their members and if all forums followed the above advice there would be chaos. Flooding a forum won't be tolerated on here so why should the technique be used by us on others. We have a very good relationship with WowUltra and if there is any shouting or demanding to be done then I, as the one footing the bill, am the one to be doing it. Never forget that this facility, with all it's faults, perceived and otherwise, is a free one to all it's members. Of course you must bring to my attention the things that you would like changing and I will pass those on if I can't do anything about it myself but so far I think we have done pretty well out of the deal and the future looks bright. So, for the moment, let's just enjoy what we have and concentrate on our modelling.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
i am ok with this system, used to miss a lot of posts before when i had to log off but now they stay until i mark all posts read.
i also find new posts on here by clicking the last arrow at the head of the page it takes you straight to to the latest posts in that section.
;-):lol::lol::lol::cool:

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I like the current "recent" theme.

The green arrow tells me those I haven't read and it's often useful (for me at least) to refer to those I have read but only recently.

With the old forum, I had to wade through both my (very poor) memory and pages and pages of posts looking for something.  Here, it's a doddle.  I do have several pages of "recent" posts but it seems that, when a new post has been added, it moves up the list to the first or second page.  Maybe the time limit for removing from the "recent" list could be shortened at some later dat but for now, I don't find it a problem (I use the ultra setting).

The main advantage is that I never miss a post - even if I close down for thunderstorms or, less important, to go to work or bed !!

In short, I like it !!!! :lol::lol:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=2]Robert[/user] wrote:
So, for the moment, let's just enjoy what we have and concentrate on our modelling.
Well said:D:D:D:D:D
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Sol,the mark all forums read is on the beige theme.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
And donegal, before you come back & say  - use "Mark all forums read" button, that is only in the Ultra theme, not the other themes which appear to be in favour with some members.
It's on all themes. But only on the front page Forum home - Your Model Railway on all of them. Press Ctrl+F and find "Mark All". In Sea theme it is in dark blue text on dark green band at the bottom. Next to the time. Difficult to see.

But I wasn't going to come back and say anything. :?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I agree with you donegal it's not easy to see at all with some of the colour combinations. Mind you once you know where it is you don't have to read it just click on the area.

Posted
Rating:
Still a bit new to this style forum, but I am voting for the recent posts. This way I can log off and come back later and still find the ones that I did not read. And believe me there are a lot of them right now.:pedal

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.