Peco Figures - Improving them

Posted
Rating:
Bob(K)
The RN figures have come out very well, are a vast improvement on the originals and look the part.

Whilst the seated figures are also a vast improvement on the originals there is something about the darker blue figures, if you don't mind me saying, that isn't quite right.
I can't put my finger on it and it may just be my personal perspective but I think that the black wash is too prominent.

As they are going to be behind the glazing in your DMU's it probably doesn't matter though.
Nice job.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Marty said

Bob(K)
The RN figures have come out very well, are a vast improvement on the originals and look the part.

Whilst the seated figures are also a vast improvement on the originals there is something about the darker blue figures, if you don't mind me saying, that isn't quite right.
I can't put my finger on it and it may just be my personal perspective but I think that the black wash is too prominent.

As they are going to be behind the glazing in your DMU's it probably doesn't matter though.
Nice job.

Marty

I don't mind your comments at all, its what makes this forum great - that we can make genuinely honest comments to each other.  I have had taken another look and I think you do have a point.  I suspect the light dry brush on the blue figures is too light, creating a greater contrast than is required.  They probably need a deeper blue dry brushing, with maybe a hint of lighter highlight - will give it a go and see if this improves the effect  :)

Bob(K)

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Another thing I think we have to take into consideration is that we are looking at theser figures five or six times larger than they actually are so every little detail shows up. They might look quite different when viewed on the layout at a normal distance. I'm not saying better or worse, just different.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
you have a point Bob,mine are rubbish in comparison but not to bad in the coaches.
 :lol:  :lol:  8)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
My figures in N gauge look great from the other side of the room in the dark with both eyes shut!!! :lol:

Cheers,John.B.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
They sound as if they might be almost as good as mine John. :lol:

Posted
Rating:
… and viewing distance and visibility of the figures is exactly the point of course… I'm sure you won't waste any time on them if it's not needed Bob(K).
cheers

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Bob

Really good painting of very small figures, My favorite's are the navel set, but the others will look good in one of your Dmu's
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Bob - what a huge difference you've made. :shock::shock:

I have to admit, even with your skills, there are some pretty ugly looking characters there - you can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear !!

The naval ones in particular, have jumped to life from rather dull looking "suggestions" of military personnel.  Something there to be really proud of. :thumbs

The description is also clear and easy to follow.  I doubt if we could produce something like that - even with the instructions !!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Time to save the effort on those Peco sailors when these are available. http://www.gunthwaite.co.uk/Our%20Range%20of%20Figures.htm

Nice job though. First lesson I learned on joining my last club was never to admit to knowing anything about wargaming as all the little packets of figures suddenly end up in  your pocket for painting

Kev
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
They are sharp and good looking models Kev. A useful link I would think.

Last edit: by Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.