Peco 00 Turntable Kit - Project By Perry

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Looking at the last photo, it has just occurred to me that I may have another use for some of my cork tile scraps; I reckon if I glue some of them on the underneath of the turntable well it might deaden the noise considerably. Maybe later…… :-)

Perry
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi
Has anyone yet devised an Indexing method that works and is not overly complex??
The Peco TT is a lovely kit and works well with suitable motor drive. So come on someone must have devised an indexing system surely? :-)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
These Peco turntables are nice. For a oo gauge kit, can anyone tell me the depth of the well on the outside? In other words what depth is it from under the ledge that the well has?
Steve

Just moved house. A new railway plan is inevitable. Watch this space.

Posted
Rating:
[user=1839]projektmaker2008[/user] wrote:
These Peco turntables are nice. For a oo gauge kit, can anyone tell me the depth of the well on the outside? In other words what depth is it from under the ledge that the well has?
Steve
Hi There.While searching around for topics on motorising the Peco turntable I came upon this old thread.Did you ever get an answer to your question ?

"The only stupid question is the one you don't ask"
Regards.
Tony.

Posted
Rating:
I've just been to measure my Peco turntable depth. It protrudes 15mm below my board, board itself is 12mm with a 1mm spacer between board and well lip (for levelling purposes) so that equates to 28mm. Since this post was written, there has been a kit developed specifically for this Peco LK55 turntable by a small company called "Locomotech". (www.locomotech.co.uk) with whom I have no connection other than as a satisfied customer. The kit itself is very easy to fit to the turntable, and although easier if done as part of initial turntable assembly, can be added later without much difficulty. The motor has an integral gearbox, is very quiet, and can be powered by DC or DCC depending on whatever system you use, either a DPDT centre off toggle switch on DC or, as I have done, with a DCC decoder controlled by my Lenz system. With DCC, you have the option of choosing whichever speed you think suitable, whereas on DC, the inclusion of a suitable resistor in series with the motor is necessary to achieve a suitable speed. Hope this is of some help to you,
                      Cheers,
                                     Keith.

Posted
Rating:
Keith M wrote:
I've just been to measure my Peco turntable depth. It protrudes 15mm below my board, board itself is 12mm with a 1mm spacer between board and well lip (for levelling purposes) so that equates to 28mm. Since this post was written, there has been a kit developed specifically for this Peco LK55 turntable by a small company called "Locomotech". (http://www.locomotech.co.uk) with whom I have no connection other than as a satisfied customer. The kit itself is very easy to fit to the turntable, and although easier if done as part of initial turntable assembly, can be added later without much difficulty. The motor has an integral gearbox, is very quiet, and can be powered by DC or DCC depending on whatever system you use, either a DPDT centre off toggle switch on DC or, as I have done, with a DCC decoder controlled by my Lenz system. With DCC, you have the option of choosing whichever speed you think suitable, whereas on DC, the inclusion of a suitable resistor in series with the motor is necessary to achieve a suitable speed. Hope this is of some help to you,
Cheers,
Keith.
Hi Keith.

I've seen the Locomotech motor & it seem to be quality.It seems to be the only decent one out there.There are a couple of indexation motors but they cost an absolute fortune.

Regards.Tony.

Regards.
Tony.

Posted
Rating:
When I bought my motorisation kit, Locomotech stated that they were in the process of developing an indexation system compatible with the motor kit and intended to be retro-fitted. I've found that since I can closely overlook the turntable whilst it's operating, and due to the slow speed of the motor, I've not found an indexing system necessary, but I appreciate that this may not be the case for everyone,-"horses for courses" I guess.
Keith.

Posted
Rating:
Keith.

How long have you had your Locomotech turntable unit as I checked their site & they didn't develop the indexation unit.
Have you had any problems with it.
I'll only need 2 or 3 tracks to my turntable so indexation is unlikely to be needed.

Tony

Regards.
Tony.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Tony.
            It will be about 8 months ago that I bought the kit and fiited it as I built up the turntable. I've not had any problems with it, and to be honest, it's so simple a design that I don't see any reason why I ever should. I have 3 Lenz throttle handsets, 2 pushbutton LH100's which I prefer for loco control and a knob control LH90 which I generally use only to control the turntable motor, so I can vary the rotation speed and direction as I wish. I can only see a need for turntable indexing if you are unable to get close enough to oversee it's operation, not a problem on my layout, and it's added cost and complication I don't need.
                   Keith.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Keith.

Thanks for that.I have an NCE Power Pro system myself & like you I can look straight down on top of the turntable.

So I think I'll go for the Locomotech as I haven't found anything better despite all my searching.

Cheers.
Tony.

Regards.
Tony.

Posted
Rating:
Got the Locomotech kit.
Fitted it with no problem.
Just follow the simple instructions.
Tested it with an old H & M Clipper.
Very smooth & quiet.

Last edit: by amdaley

Regards.
Tony.

Posted
Rating:
Since my initial motor fit, I too have changed to the Locomotech motor. I run it under DCC, wiring a decoder to the motor as if were fitted in a loco.

It runs smoothly and quietly and can turn incredibly slowly.

Highly recommended.

Perry

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

Posted
Rating:
Perry wrote:
Since my initial motor fit, I too have changed to the Locomotech motor. I run it under DCC, wiring a decoder to the motor as if were fitted in a loco.

It runs smoothly and quietly and can turn incredibly slowly.

Highly recommended.

Perry
Happy Holiday Perry.I run my layout on DCC as well but the area where the turntable is hasn't been fully wired yet so i tested it with DC. I plan to fit a decoder to my turntable as well. 
Very pleased with the Locomotech motor.

How do you deal with sound locomotives on the turntable with the polarity change half way round or do you have that problem ?

Tony

Regards.
Tony.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Tony,

I don't have any sound locos at present so this possible problem hasn't come up for me. All I can say is that locos do not need their direction of travel altered when leaving the turntable. The DCC track power is simply routed to the turntable rails and it all just works! I've found no need for reversing gizmos and the like - fortunately!

Perry

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Perry.

Regards.
Tony.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.