Building an MSE signal kit.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Nigel.   :thumbs

I want to avoid CA if possible - it gives off very nasty fumes if it's heated and remembering what's glued and what's soldered is another problem for my remaining grey matter …… :lol:

I prep parts with a fibre glass pen before tinning but I think I'll need to get some braid to draw off the excess - "fine tinning" is something I haven't mastered yet. I do indeed tin both faces then apply heat to bond.

My "go to" solder is 60/40 but I think mine is 1mm or maybe even more ……   Leaded solder is difficult to get here in France - even as wire - (at a sensible price).  I'm still using my last UK supplies.

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Petermac,
I cut my teeth on MSE signal kits.

Don`t overthink them.

Plenty of heat 60W - 80 W
A powerful flux….acid…the nearest you can find to Bakers Fluid.
Leaded solder.  Hurl the 145 solder in the nearest bin.
You should be able to solder (or unsolder) with just a touch of the iron if you have the right flux /solder / heat. Even on uncleaned brass.
If the solder does`nt run it`s either a weak flux and/or not enough heat.

Cheers

John

Twobolt John

Posted
Rating:
As I said elsewhere, I'm in "catch-up" mode at present John so have only just replying to your post.

Thanks for the "just stick the boot in" advice - that's what I tend to do now and it does seem to work.  I do have some Bakers in stock but haven't tried it on this kit.  I'll certainly do so - it is great stuff but needs a good wash afterwards.

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.