Picture of the month - June

Posted
Rating:
#264227 (In Topic #14383)
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

Members choice

Finally back home so here goes.
As with this months choice, out with the old, in with the new. (Thought it time for Peters topic to be put to bed)

Sad to see the layout in this month's POM closing but I'm looking forward to seeing the replacement layout progressing !

Colin I thought it would be nice, as this Months worthy Contributor to POM if YOU chose June's POM 

No pressure, you have all this month to choose !  :lol:

If your happy to do it please let me know and then  PM me at some point before the end of May with your choice and a brief Reason Why you chose it ?

Going forward there is NO pressure for any POM contributor nominated to make the next Months choice ( I'm happy to do it if not) But I thought it might be nice to get few members choices  :thumbs

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Matt,

Thanks, I'm flattered by your selection and happy to kick off the relaunched POTM - members choice for next month.

Colin

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Thanks Colin, appreciated. You can pretty much choose anything from the gallery or thats posted in a topic, from a current or former member/ Layout. If a former/ non active member or layout then I can choose the follow on to keep it rolling  :thumbs
Cheers

Matt

Posted
Rating:
:doublethumb  
Brilliant initiative Matt - well done!

Excellent first choice as well

Best wishesj

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Great photo choice. Tbh the content on here is so good, it would be hard to pick a poor photo!!

Posted
Rating:
[user=2057]TeaselBay[/user] wrote:
Great photo choice. Tbh the content on here is so good, it would be hard to pick a poor photo!!

Have a look in my layout thread Chris - you'll be proven wrong !   :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
[user=2057]TeaselBay[/user] wrote:

Have a look in my layout thread Chris - you'll be proven wrong !   :cheers
Hehe. I said it would be hard.. not impossible! 

Posted
Rating:
:mutley :mutley :mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
June's Picture of the Month was chosen by Colin W. 
Colin said :-

"My choice is a photo from the late John Flann

Reasons.
John was an inspiration to me, helping me to develop a "vision" for my modelling work. He helped me to see that major decisions like focusing the bigger picture outcome or getting minute details spot on are a personal choice. His thinking made a big contribution to my design for Upper Hembury and hopefully when it moves forward it'll have some of the purpose and harmony that were John's hallmarks as shown in the POTM

Colin"

Thanks Colin, a very  worthy choice !

Cheers

Matt

Posted
Rating:
[user=2080]Barchester[/user] wrote:
June's Picture of the Month was chosen by Colin W. 
Colin said :-

"My choice is a photo from the late John Flann

Reasons.
John was an inspiration to me, helping me to develop a "vision" for my modelling work. He helped me to see that major decisions like focusing the bigger picture outcome or getting minute details spot on are a personal choice. His thinking made a big contribution to my design for Upper Hembury and hopefully when it moves forward it'll have some of the purpose and harmony that were John's hallmarks as shown in the POTM

Colin"

Thanks Colin, a very  worthy choice !

Cheers

Matt
That photo brings back so many happy memories of following John's progress on Hintock and subsequent extensions. He was extremely knowledgeable and always wrote in such clear, concise prose. Colin is absolutely right about his focus on harmony. His designs never looked contrived or forced.

That is indeed a great choice Colin - thank you!

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
John Dew  has mentioned John Flann often in our conversations, so I have researched his work and philosophy, and this is indeed an excellent choice for photo of the month.  I would describe his work as "effortless realism" (by which i certainly do not mean it was without hard work and effort), he never seems to try too hard to create a "scene" but rather models what is very natural and so creates a realistic scene.  I think the photo choice suggests that perfectly.
Michael  

Posted
Rating:
So good to see Hintock once more.  John Flann and myself corresponded both publicly and privately on matters related to his themed area, the wider modelling hobby and rural Dorset life in general.  

I mentioned at the time of his passing that I had, by chance, driven over Whiteway Down - the A31 between Bridport and Dorchester - which overlooks the Bredy Valley in which area Hintock is set.  I stopped just off the main road, remembered our then recently-departed friend and gazed into the distance.  

There was a tractor chugging somewhere beyond sight, a buzz of insects and the twitter of birds.  A distant heat haze caused land and sky to merge seamlessly as the cut hay and the faint aroma of cattle wafted up on the breeze from the land far below.  And there, on that breeze, there was a sound I couldn't quite place.  A hoot or a whistle?  I still don't know what it was.

Perhaps it was the Hintock train making its way sedately along the valley one last time.  

That memory - of John, of his work and of that moment - has stayed with me. 

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
We need a “like”  button. 
That was beautifully worded Rick - thank you for posting it.

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
[user=434]John Dew[/user] wrote:

Agreed - absolutely.  :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=434]John Dew[/user] wrote:
I'll second that emotion.

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Not forgotten, on Holiday, back tomorrow, then  I can use the 'round tooit'  :roll:

Posted
Rating:
[user=2080]Barchester[/user] wrote:
Not forgotten, on Holiday, back tomorrow, then  I can use the 'round tooit'  :roll:

:thumbs :lol:

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
I'm happy to look at Hintock for at least another month  :)

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Yeah sorry, family issues down south intervened, I'll try and get to it tomorrow  :roll:

Posted
Rating:
Yes, Hintock. What a layout. And Rick.

There was a tractor chugging somewhere beyond sight, a buzz of insects  and the twitter of birds.  A distant heat haze caused land and sky to  merge seamlessly as the cut hay and the faint aroma of cattle wafted up  on the breeze from the land far below.  And there, on that breeze, there  was a sound I couldn't quite place.  A hoot or a whistle?  I still  don't know what it was.

Perhaps it was the Hintock train making its way sedately along the valley one last time.  I felt as though I was standing on that hill too.

So well done that I could easily imagine standing in that same place.

Cheers Pete.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.