Preciva Crimper Plier Set

Posted
Rating:
#262337 (In Topic #14301)
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

Wiring aid

I know it's frowned upon by some but I use a fair number of screw block connectors for the wiring on my layout, sometimes connecting in two and three separate (stranded) wires to one terminal with the inherent problems of actually catching all wires solidly as you tighten up the screws.
Decided to buy one of THESE bits of kit to try out  and so far I'm very impressed !

A few pictures to save a thousand words

And some experimentation

I wasn't sure about connecting three into one but as you can see it worked, and how solid is the connection ? Well I've done my darndest to pull any of the wires out of its ferule and I'm beggered if I can ! The metal end of the ferule is robust and clamps solidly into the screw terminal giving a good solid connection

If like me you don't enjoy crawling about under layouts soldering and resort to choc block connectors I can definitely recommend one of these. The Crimper seams a good quality tool at a reasonable price ( you CAN pay a lot more for one if you wish) and comes with a good selection of ferules in the pack.

Cost for me with free postage was a fraction under £27

Hope this is of some use

(Apologies for fuzzy photos)

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
This looks like it saves having to solder the ends of wires before fitting a choc. block Matt ………. :hmm

A nice bit of kit and much faster (and safer) than soldering I'd guess…..   Is there any risk of screwing through the crimp with the choc. block screw or is it pretty tough ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Peter Ive 'crushed' both the single wired ferule and the triple wired ferule with pliers to try and break them. They flattened out but didnt split. I then just tried to over tighten the triple wired one in a block. The screw rounded off but I was able to back it off and check the ferule. It had dented it but no other damage. Then did the same for the single wire (thinnest ferule in the box) and again although this one  crushed flat it didnt split at all and in both cases I was still unable to pull out any of the wires from the ferules by hand. I also tried pulling both from the choc block when tightened and couldn't budge them. I know from experience it's a task to get three separate wires caught solidly under the screw without missing half the wire strands or one of the wires pulling loose, but this method seams to give a tightly packed bunch of wires held firmly in the crimped ferule that clamps solidly in the choc block.  
 Ill try and take a couple of closeups to show them after being crushed by pliers and after being screwed in tight.

Cheers

Matt

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Ok sorry not the clearest but hopefully you can see the results
Single wire crushed with pliers

Single wire after being screwed in choc block ( different ferule)

Triple wire ditto ( probably clearer to see)

And after being in choc block ( you can see the screw indent near to the blue plastic)

As I said I still cant pull the wires from the ferules and couldn't pull any of the wires or the whole thing out of the choc block so seams a very solid connection. 

Think I will be using a fair few of these going forward  :thumbs

Cheers

Matt

( Now I better get that POM changed !. . . Ok cuppa first  :cool wink)

Posted
Rating:
That looks very useful Matt......thanks for posting.......looks like a happy new year pressie for me!

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Rather typically - here from Amazon France €33.88 and 10 cents dearer at Amazon Germany ……………that's a tad over £28 at current exchange rates…………….

I suppose not too bad really - free delivery using Amazon Prime but postage would have to be added from either UK or Germany.

I just wish you'd posted this 500 choc blocks ago Matt although I might still find a use for a set ………………….. :cry:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
I've a few choc blocks too Peter, nowhere near 500 tho  :shock:.  My intention going forward is to re do any connections in an area I'm working on. . . As it happens I've been re doing some wiring and still more to do so I'm glad I found these now  :cheers
Matt

Posted
Rating:
:oops: Sorry, I should have said something sooner. I've been using these for two or three years now and they do make things very easy for connecting wires via choc blocks. Cheap as chips for the crimper from China and assorted sizes of ferrules from wherever you choose to get them from. You can get double ferrules too, if you want; depends on the size of wires and choc blocks you're using.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Looks useful Matt but not for me.Some of those connectors looked just the same as if you'd soldered them.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
[user=1033]Spurno[/user] wrote:
Looks useful Matt but not for me.Some of those connectors looked just the same as if you'd soldered them.

Yes indeed Alan but they can be done in a fraction of the time whilst lying on your back under the baseboards ……. 

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
What a useful tool.  I also favour using choc blocks.  I think that I might be in the market for one of those.Thanks for posting Matt.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
According to Amazon, mine should arrive tomorrow !  :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Ordered!  Thanks for the link Matt.  Much obliged.
Terry

Posted
Rating:
[user=1120]peterm[/user] wrote:
:oops: Sorry, I should have said something sooner. I've been using these for two or three years now and they do make things very easy for connecting wires via choc blocks. Cheap as chips for the crimper from China and assorted sizes of ferrules from wherever you choose to get them from. You can get double ferrules too, if you want; depends on the size of wires and choc blocks you're using.

I'm hoping they're as good as you guys say because I have several "delicate" choc block connections under my baseboards.  This gadget should set my mind at ease whilst saving having to tin the wires before fitting to the blocks - almost impossible to do whilst lying under the boards…………………….. :hmm   I might be over strong but I've often found that the choc block screws easily cut into unsoldered wires and any future "wriggling" breaks the few remaining strands.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Peter, your mention of 'Delicate wires' led me to try something else earlier tonight.The single (multi strand ) wire when crimped into the ferule seams much more robust on being clamped in the screw block. But what I did was to try putting the  smaller ferule into a bigger one ( I think I went up three sizes ?) And then crimp them together and the result ? A bigger, fatter, even more robust  end on the wire to screw into the terminal  :thumbs
Cheers

Matt

Posted
Rating:
That's  an interesting option Matt.  Most of mine will be single, or at most, double wires into 5 or 6 amp choc blocks.

Hopefully, Mme La Factrice (Post lady) will deliver mine today so I can have a play over the weekend.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I let this thread slip by but want to add my experiences with this gadget to those of Matt and Pete./

There were 3 kit options on the Amazon site - each with a different number of connectors and prices to match.  Keen to compare Matt's experiences, I duly ordered the same kit - pliers and 1900 connectors.

It arrived bang on time - as I've come to expect with Amazon based orders - but they'd supplied a smaller kit with only 1200 pins.  :cry:

Via the Amazon "contact seller" option, I explained the situation asking what they proposed.  Overnight, they came back asking for a photo of the package which I duly provided (presumably to make sure I wasn't pulling a fast one).

24 hours later, they replied saying they'd send something to correct the mistake and the following day, I recieved another 1200 pin complete set FOC.   :doublethumb

I now have 2 pairs of crimping pliers and 2400 pins so I'm a very happy bunny and thanked the supplier accordingly.

Only after I'd received the 2nd set could I give it a try - I expected to have to return the original kit so didn't open it.

I'm delighted to say, it does exactly what it says on the box - quickly, easily and efficiently.  A far cry from splodges of solder on the floor - or worse places - when tinning the ends of multi-strand wires !!   A second or two to strip the insulation, another second to twist the ends and crimp the pin in place and bingo, it's ready to pop straight into the choc block.

A great find Matt and I'd thoroughly recommend this inexpensive gadget to anyone who has to poke wires into any type of physical connector block (as opposed to a soldered connection).

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
2,400 should keep you out of mischief for a while.  :)

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
quand les poules auront des dents…
 :pedal

Posted
Rating:
[user=567]gastwo[/user] wrote:
quand les poules auront des dents…
:pedal

:mutley :mutley :mutley :mutley

Dinosaur ……… :cheers

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.