Rails of Sheffield

Posted
Rating:
#262175 (In Topic #14291)

02 and Wainwright D class

As a lot of you know this whole sorry saga started back in August; 26th to be precise. RoS sent me an Oxford Rail 02. When it arrived it had a bent running plate and overtightened screws at the bottom of the bunker as well as a chip out of the roof. I sent it back for replacement; whaddamistakatomakea!
I asked that the screws be checked for over tightness and was told they would be. The replacement arrived and it still had one of the screws too tight and one con rod missing, so much for testing! Meanwhile, I ordered a Wainwright D class loco. I tested it on DC and it was OK. I then fitted a Zimo MX658N sound decoder and speaker, tested it on the programming track and all was well. Switched over to full track power (14v) and pffft, one expensive decoder up in smoke. I sent this one back and asked them to test it. I asked if they’d tested it with a sound decoder and speaker. This was obviously not done because when it eventually got back here it was fine with a non sound decoder, then it was OK on the programming track with another MX658N with no speaker. When I connected the speaker luckily on the programming track, it shorted out again, this time luckily not damaging the decoder. I tried with another, known good speaker and the same result. Another thing was that on taking it out of it’s packing, I lifted it up to show my wife and the cab interior fell out! Miffed? I’m spitting chips here!

I’ve now sent this one back and told them I expect a full refund including postage and to be reimbursed for the decoder that it blew out.

On the bright side, the Bachmann H2 performs nicely. Just needs a lube and running in.

Cheers Pete.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Good luck with that Pete.   :roll:

I have a hobby horse about QC from manufacturers.  I doubt RoS would spend too much time checking things - they're just the middle man plus, any refunds would be down to the manufacturer so, other than hassle, no skin off their nose either way.

Regarding Bachmann, I suppose one has to accept that the odd fault will slip through, especially if it relates to the sound circuit of a decoder.  I doubt Bachmann would even check that.

The real pain is the time delay and, in my case, customs charges involved in returning good to UK.  I don't think any warranty would cover such charges.

I'm sure Bachmann will do the honourable thing with the loco but not too sure you'll get a new sound chip thrown in …………. :hmm

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Peter,

The D class is from Dapol. Though I suspect you're right about Rails not worrying too much about testing, but it annoys me that they've said they've tested something when they clearly haven't. It wouldn't be so bad if they said that they don't do that sort of testing, but would send it to Dapol on my behalf.

As for waiting for postage, that's another story isn't it.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Sorry Pete - obviously I didn't read things properly - for "Bachmann", read "Dapol"…. :oops:

Maybe I was getting confused with my own experience - different manufacturer, different box- shifter but similar problems.

Regarding postage, I'd have thought you stand a good chance of getting at least some of that back.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
No problem peter. Re the postage: I've had it all back so far and if Rails won't stump up for the decoder, I'll get on to Dapol.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Forgive me if you are talking about a different loco, but the Adams' O2 is manufactured under the EFE label by Bachmann.
Peter said, "I doubt RoS would spend too much time checking things - they're just the middle man plus, any refunds would be down to the manufacturer".

This is incorrect.  Under UK law the retailer is required to rectify this, not the manufacturer.  Your contract is with RoS not Bachmann.

Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
Yes Terry - in law, your contract is with the seller but in practice, RoS would just pass it on to their supplier.  A case where the law is an ass - can you imagine how many locos a shop would sell if it had to cover the cost of repairs/replacements……….. :hmm

It's not by chance there is a "Manufacturer's Guarantee" but no "Supplier's Guarantee" …….

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hello Peter. Seasons Greetings.

Not strictly an ass, as if both the retailer and the manufacturer denied all responsibility leaving the customer as 'piggy in the middle', there is a clear recourse to action against the retailer.  It is for the retailer to argue the odds about costs of repairs with the manufacturer. 

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I've had this very argument several times with retailers. On being told " oh you will need to send it back to so and so" my reply has always been "No YOU took my money so YOU can send it back if you wish, I'll have a refund please" Once you make it clear that it's THEIR responsibility, they just give in and refund

The manufacturer's goods may be faulty but your sales contract is with the retailer and no they cannot ' pass the buck' so to speak

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
[user=2080]Barchester[/user] wrote:
I've had this very argument several times with retailers. On being told " oh you will need to send it back to so and so" my reply has always been "No YOU took my money so YOU can send it back if you wish, I'll have a refund please" Once you make it clear that it's THEIR responsibility, they just give in and refund

The manufacturer's goods may be faulty but your sales contract is with the retailer and no they cannot ' pass the buck' so to speak

Cheers

Matt
Australian consumer laws are similar: the responsibility for warranty and repairs lies with the retailer. They then deal with the manufacturers or their agents, themselves.

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
[user=711]col.stephens[/user] wrote:
Forgive me if you are talking about a different loco, but the Adams' O2 is manufactured under the EFE label by Bachmann.
Peter said, "I doubt RoS would spend too much time checking things - they're just the middle man plus, any refunds would be down to the manufacturer".

This is incorrect.  Under UK law the retailer is required to rectify this, not the manufacturer.  Your contract is with RoS not Bachmann.

Terry

There's nothing to forgive Terry. This all started off with the 02, but that's been rectified with a refund, including postage costs. This has carried over to the Dapol D class. I'm off to the post office today to send it back for the second time.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks all for the replies and advice.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Oh dear! I hope it all gets sorted soon.
Cheers
Evan

Posted
Rating:
An additional bit of info. under Sale of goods act if the defect is in manufacture the retailer is the responsible party and must accept a return or rectify the problem, You as the consumer should not need to contact the manufacturer at all. Oddly there's no real time limit on that!

Posted
Rating:
Thanks For that. The World wide web has the advantage that most places, like Australia are no longer too far away to make it worthwhile to chase things up.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
After posting the D class back to RoS on 29/12/21 it's finally arrived in England, so hopefully they'll have it in a couple of days time. Another refund or replacement this time. I'm also in touch with Dapol and will let you know how I get on with that.

Last edit: by peterm

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
I don’t know whether it’s the exposure to issues as I’m now in many groups but it does seem rare for a run not to have a quality issue these days. With the cost of the hobby increasing it would be nice to hope the new train you’ve bought is a good quality. It takes the shine off the model when it has an issue, even a minor one. 

Posted
Rating:
Yes Chris, I think it'd be nice if you could rely on things being made properly too.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
My SECR D arrived minus one of the guard irons in the detail pack. An email message to Rails plus a photo to illustrate which one I did have elicited the appropriate action from Rails staff: a pair of the correct lined out guard irons arrived a few weeks later with a friendly note from them as well.

Top service as always from Rails.

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
My only complaint about Rails as a firm is that they didn't make a thorough check as I asked them to with the D class.

Cheers Pete.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.