Wainwright D class

Posted
Rating:
#261127 (In Topic #14247)

Not having much luck.

My lovely looking D class arrived yesterday and it really is a nice looking loco. Tried it on DC and all OK. Put a Zimo MX658N sound decoder in and read it on the programming track, once again all OK. Changed the address, OK. Turned the juice on and heard this fizzing noise and saw a load of smoke from my expensive decoder. After some bad language I put the blanking plug back in and it runs on DC. I suppose I should have simply sent it back (that would be three in a row) but I stripped it down and can't find what's caused this. There is a short somewhere, but I just can't find it and I've probably invalidated my warranty by taking it apart.
Any ideas?

Cheers Pete.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Replying to myself. I phoned RoS and have arranged to send it back. I looked on their website and saw that they're now out of stock, so hopefully they'll either fix it or send it to DCC Supplies for repair.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Pete,

Might be worth getting a cheap decoder. I always test any new locomotive with one. Plus test the decoder in a "safe" locomotive. Sound like you have a short in the locomotive or in the decoder.  If the blanking plug only has red/orange and black/grey bridged a short across the other connections would not affect DC running. Does the decoder have a fried amplifier and does it still function as a non-sound decoder? Or is it completely toasted? Did you mean a Zimo MX65818N? 

Nigel

Last edit: by BCDR

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel,
Thanks for the reply.
 Yes I did mean the MX658N18  :oops:
I was thinking the same about buying a cheaper decoder to make doubly sure the sound one's don't get fried. This one really is toast. I've found an smd that's fried but can't identify it. I was thinking of working out how much it would cost for return post to Austria for their repair service. I just can't work out how it checked out fine on the programming track only for this to happen.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Pete,

Program mode is low power, just enough to get the signal through. The electronics in a decoder are usually a maximum of around 5v. Looks like  they got the full DCC output, usually 13v-17v. If this a faulty locomotive wiring, I would insist on a replacement decoder at their cost.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
I probably will do that, but it's still sitting in Brisbane "cleared and awaiting departure."

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Today I ordered a Lais  next18 decoder. Cheapest I could find for A$28.50 including postage. Not so bad if it fries.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
[user=1632]BCDR[/user] wrote:
…………………………………………………………………………….. If this a faulty locomotive wiring, I would insist on a replacement decoder at their cost.

Nigel

And good luck with that one. !

I can just imagine ROS coughing up around £100 for a replacement decoder.  They'll almost certainly have a "consequential damage" clause in their liability insurance.

Zimo claim to have a standard £15 repair/replace guarantee Pete - it will be interesting to see if it covers your damage as my guess is, it's not likely to be a factory fault with the decoder.  They do appear however, to say the cause isn't an issue for their repair service.

Good luck but please, let us know how you get on.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I do tend to agree Peter and I don't want to be the one that causes them to refuse sending things overseas because of the expense of refunding postage cost's etc. The more I think about it, the more I think it was a fault in the socket; or why would it run perfectly on DC and check out OK on the programming track? It's not as though I'm a novice either. I've fitted (hard wired and plugged in) many decoders, sound and non sound for myself and others and never had had this before.

With the Zimo repair service, I think it's now 20 quid and if the postage isn't ridiculous it may be worth it. I'll have to email them.

Ever so slightly off topic: I had a kidney removed last Wednesday 27/10. It started off as keyhole surgery but the tumour that was on it was too big to come out so they changed to open surgery. I managed to get out on Friday 29/10 and am now recuperating at home. I thought I may as well be sore in the comfort of my own home rather than laying in a hospital bed and eating hospital food. Waiting now to see what kind of tumour it was.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Sorry to hear about your tumour, Peter. I hope all goes well for you. Take care.

Jeff.
 :shock:

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Jeff. Taking it easy and fingers crossed.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Peter,

sorry to hear about the kidney, one minor consolation is that life can be totally normal on just one. I had a friend who had similar situation as yours around 1980 and lived out a very long life with the remaining one, drinking 2 bottles of home brew each and every day with no further issues in that department. 

Best wishes for your recovery,

Colin

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Colin. On the up now, although I'm not sure I'll start drinking again; use the money on trains.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
[user=1120]peterm[/user] wrote:
Thanks Colin. On the up now, although I'm not sure I'll start drinking again; use the money on trains.
Not sure I could make that call, sitting down as I am, enjoying a very nice "medicinal" red.

Alcohol per se is more an issue for its impacts the liver which is the primary location for metabolism in your body, so you could check with your Doc as to your liver function before such taking drastic steps! Then it depends on the source, I'm a strong believe in the benefits of the anthocyanins in red wines, in moderation of course with lots of different vegetable colours in your diet.

Posted
Rating:
  Hi Pete,

Just woke up to your news and hope the decoder issue resolves successfully. As for your kidney issue, I truly feel for you. I haven’t your degree of severity, but have been living with and without painful kidney stones for over two decades with dietary control, daily drugs and a healthy water consumption. Living in a wine producing village with many winemaker friends, I have to maintain a strict drinking policy, which supports the local economy in moderation, as well as taking all our holiday guests wine tasting. It’s just my job, but a necessary one.

I trust that in a little while, you’ll have a regime to keep you fit and well and can enjoy a very happy lifestyle.

Very best,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Bl##dy hell Pete - that's more than a simple "by the way" comment !!  Surgery like that and home in 2 days - they make em tough in Australia …………….or were you made elsewhere ?

You'll need to take things easy for quite a while I'd guess - hope you've got the pain well under control.

When it suits, let us know how it goes with the decoder - I understand Zimo have a good after-sales service, as one would expect in Austria.

You just go easy now.  :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Colin, I know I could still have a drink, but I'm really not missing it so we'll see how it goes. Maybe I'll leave the Scottish laughing water alone and enjoy a red with all it's health benefits. :)

Bill, I feel for you too. My eldest son had a kidney stone and I saw the pain he was in until it resolved.
I'm glad to hear of your selfless contribution to the local economy.

I've never had so much water as I have since coming home. We have a lovely Staffordshire bull terrier who loves to go for walks, so there are the first steps back to good health.

Peter, I'm Australian by choice, but was born and bred (some would say dragged up) in south London; Clapham/Brixton, very salubrious. As for coming home, I figured that if I'm sore and sorry for myself I may as well be feeling that way at home. No reflection on the doctors and nurses, but home sweet home it is.

I'll be sure to let you all know what happens with the decoder. I've yet to contact Zimo or get an idea of how much for two way postage for a tiny package. I have two speakers that have been sitting at Heathrow for a while now "cleared and awaiting international departure" and the 02 and D class doing the same at Brisbane airport. If I do send it, I'll wait until after Christmas and new year for things to hopefully settle down a bit.
Ps: Thanks for the replies.

Last edit: by peterm

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Having passed several kidney stones over the last three decades myself, I can well and truly sympathise with Bill and your son, Peter.

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Yeah, I know they're not much fun, to understate it in true British fashion.  :)

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Pete
Only just caught up with your news. You are amazingly casual about such a major op. I am so glad you are up and about…..I do hope all goes well.

I am relieved that Colin, our resident chemist :lol:, has confirmed the medicinal properties of a modest intake of red wine. My evening glass of red is a lot more palatable than the assorted pills I have to take.

Like you I am a big fan of Zimo …..I will be interested to see how they handle your claim. It must be incredibly frustrating to deal with particularly with all the postal delays

My very best wishes

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.