Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Breaker of Things
breakage is in the usergroup ‘Administrators’
[user=1120]peterm[/user] wrote:
, isn't reliable as it often drops out for no apparent reason and has to be shut down and re-started to get it going again.

I'll be honest I've yet to come across a Router that doesn't do this, and I've been through Netgear's, TP-Link, Virgin, Sky and BT - even the one's that start life stable tend to hit this at some point.

Ironically most often it's something environmental that causes it, something that comes on around the house (or in the neighbours) and disrupts the band and they don't seem to recover.

The most frustrating one I remember was when our old Virgin Router would randomly decide Phones weren't allowed to connect to the 5g network, only phones mind! Any other device connected on 5ghz was fine but any phone would show No Internet. If you switched back to 2.4ghz it would be fine - I ended up running the two frequencies as independent networks so you could choose to hop when the connection dropped - but of course it never fully dropped so wouldn't do it automatically!

Oh the joys of networking!

Signatures? Where we're going we don't need no stinking signatures!

Posted
Rating:
[user=19]Marty[/user] wrote:
That is a cracker of a photo.
City Beach tower, south groyne ?

I've no idea Marty, but as you say, that's a cracker.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
[user=2204]Breakage[/user] wrote:
, isn't reliable as it often drops out for no apparent reason and has to be shut down and re-started to get it going again.

I'll be honest I've yet to come across a Router that doesn't do this, and I've been through Netgear's, TP-Link, Virgin, Sky and BT - even the one's that start life stable tend to hit this at some point.

Ironically most often it's something environmental that causes it, something that comes on around the house (or in the neighbours) and disrupts the band and they don't seem to recover.

The most frustrating one I remember was when our old Virgin Router would randomly decide Phones weren't allowed to connect to the 5g network, only phones mind! Any other device connected on 5ghz was fine but any phone would show No Internet. If you switched back to 2.4ghz it would be fine - I ended up running the two frequencies as independent networks so you could choose to hop when the connection dropped - but of course it never fully dropped so wouldn't do it automatically!

Oh the joys of networking!
Yes I suppose I could go out and splash out $500.00 or so and still end up with drop outs.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Whilst I was running my business from home I had a VOIP line for the business calls - set up over my private landline - this was not fully reliable and on occasion dropped out.

I also switched from BT to Talk Talk at the pushing of a salesperson in Currys/PC World, I quickly cancelled and switched back to BT as their internet connection was slow and they couldn't/wouldn't give me the information I needed to alter the settings in my netgear router. They just kept saying "Push the reset" or "Use our router"

Since retiring I gave up the VOIP line and my mobile.

I retired because the Inland Revenue were pushing Making Tax Digital with quarterly submissions instead of one annual tax return (quadrupling the workload) and this mantra that digital is "more accurate" It's not. One of the first things I learned at school when computer studies were starting was the "Garbage In, Garbage Out" - it doesn't matter how good the system, if your data is wrong, the result will be wrong. I had a client who loved the digital bookkeeping software and the ability to take a photo of a receipt - he created a dozen bank accounts with a dozen transactions!

Last edit: by Alan W

Alan

Posted
Rating:
Breaker of Things
breakage is in the usergroup ‘Administrators’
[user=2220]Alan W[/user] wrote:
 "Garbage In, Garbage Out" 

So dear readers - time to learn why Breakage is called Breakage.

The GIGO principle is one I latched onto very early, and in my days as a Service Owner whenever I was presented with new system updates or a new piece of software, while they demonstrated all the wonderful features i would always be asking - "What happens if i click this" or "How about if i just type that". Even better when given software to test and try out the amount of times I heard "That shouldn't be able to happen" or "You're not supposed to use it like that"

I'm known as Breakage cause if you give me a piece of software I'll generally find a way to break it.

GIGO sits right along side the principle that it doesn't matter what a user "should" do, if a user can, they will, no system can ever be user proof - cause there's no predicting the person that decides the CD Tray is a coffee holder.

Signatures? Where we're going we don't need no stinking signatures!

Posted
Rating:
When I worked on mainframes in the early 80s, we had a bloke called Patrick (Paddy) Flood whose physical actions or data input attempted to deliberately circumvent the safeguards. Visitors would be mildly alarmed when we asked one another if certain items were 'Flood proof', even though we were 400' up and nowhere near a river.

My computing qualifications are now long outdated, but I once had 'networked systems' on my business card.

Last edit: by 6243

9C, Hibel Road & Macclesfield Central: 30 May 1941. Various scales
Landscape 1:150, Buildings 1:152·4, 9mm Track 1:159·5, Stock 1:148

Posted
Rating:
[user=19]Marty[/user] wrote:
That is a cracker of a photo.
City Beach tower, south groyne ?

I've no idea Marty, but as you say, that's a cracker.

I’m pretty certain that is my swimming beach here in Perth. I’ve been there when it’s doing that…not in the water either I can assure you. Spectacular as that photo is, it’s fabulous in real life.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Martin Wynne is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
The joys of living in south-west France this summer ……………….
Here's a train boat ride in France recently:

https://twitter.com/TomsGriffon/status/1406335209117831176

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I honestly thought at first that WAS a boat ride Martin !

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Third rail?   :)

Cheers Pete.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.