Screws nuts and washers

Posted
Rating:
#258757 (In Topic #14136)

Serious stuff to fix, I have the tools but not the screws etc

Hi All.  I have most of the tools that I believe are necessary??? But this metrification has got me. I knew all about Imperial, there was a time when I could walk into, the correct shop, and purchase the screws that I needed. For my latest job I want 3/16” screws, nuts and washers, or maybe M5 ? but all the online adverts cannot supply the goods, either lot’s of sizes that I wouldn’t use or no washers, I’m not quite sure of the size, where Imperial was simple ie3/16” x 1/2” countersunk, not forgetting the washers. I would be grateful for any help Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
What size washers Kevin ? I've loads got a box from Aldi or Lidle ages ago when I needed some, £4.99 for a box of mixed sizes that will probably see me out  :thumbs

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt.  Thank you for your reply. When I am up and about, I can sniff out a bargain with the best of them, and I have a choice of Lidl and Aldi and of course not forgetting Screwfix etc.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
3/16th x 1/2 inch ?  I thought imperial sizes were numbers - like 1/2 inch x No 8……………….. :hmm

I do agree though Kevin - metic sizes are fine for youngsters but those of us who grew up with £.s.d. simply can't "imagine" metric sizes.

I remember once asking my son to place some fencing stakes about 2 yards apart - "what's a yard" said he ………………………………. :???:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
3/16th x 1/2 inch ?  I thought imperial sizes were numbers - like 1/2 inch x No 8……………….. :hmm

I do agree though Kevin - metic sizes are fine for youngsters but those of us who grew up with £.s.d. simply can't "imagine" metric sizes.

I remember once asking my son to place some fencing stakes about 2 yards apart - "what's a yard" said he ………………………………. :???:
A place you sweep with a brush and play something called basketball!!

Alan

Posted
Rating:
:mutley :mutley :mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
They have been teaching kids metric for decades, but what do we use on road signs?  MILES!!!  Talk about not equipping youngsters fore real life.

Now we are out of the EU we should revert to imperial measurements AND bring back £.s.d. just to confuse anyone from the EU.

Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
That reminds me Terry. I have a mate who rallies historic cars all over the world and years ago, he was on a regulatory road stage on Irish roads, where one has to drive within set speeds between check points.
Unfortunately the funding for changing all the road signs from miles to kilometres when Ireland joined the EU and adopted the euro, ran out before the task was completed and the resultant frustration in calculating average speeds between stages when one didn't know if the posted distance was miles or kilometres may still be causing confusion even today!

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry.  Definitely, I am in favour of imperial measurements, and I always ask for stuff in feet and inches, or of course pounds and if I was going abroad, a blue passport. Best wishes Kevin

Posted
Rating:
And let's send a gunboat to keep the natives in check………. :mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Sorry Peter all our boats and ships are off chasing down Somali pirates or playing with the Russians and Chinese these days, think we have a spare rowboat somewhere you could borrow at a push  :hmm

Posted
Rating:
Hi Petermac :off topic  Have you ever tasted “Bergerac” , we tried it once after a Booze Cruise many years ago.Best wishes Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Alan W.   If you were to mention £.s.d to some youngsters they may think that you were talking about drugs.   On the serious side 50 odd years ago, I probably thought that BSW and BSF screws and nuts were expensive, but, they were a better quality and I knew what size I was getting . Best wishes Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt. Are you feeling a little unwell lately, or at least your avatar looks a bit head over heels :mutley:mutley:mutley   Best wishes Kevin.    PS fingers crossed I am still connected to YMRC 

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
It's the Melbourne Mob Kevin trying to take over the world, starting with YMRC  :roll:
 ;-)

Posted
Rating:
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Alan W.   If you were to mention £.s.d to some youngsters they may think that you were talking about drugs.   On the serious side 50 odd years ago, I probably thought that BSW and BSF screws and nuts were expensive, but, they were a better quality and I knew what size I was getting . Best wishes Kevin
:mutley :mutley :mutley

Alan

Posted
Rating:
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
 There's still a thriving following today for the use of BS Whitworth imperial thread standards in the engineering fraternity and you can still buy new BSW tools, although I suspect a few of usl still have some old favourites in the tool shed.

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill. Thank you for your reply. I myself have a set of Imperial Spanner’s, and old fashioned screw drivers, from when I began work in 1962 in a factory that “ Trembled “ once all the machines were working, one big motor and a belt and pulley system to drive them.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
You should try owning a UK car in continental Europe !

I have set of both metric and imperial tools but can never find that 7/16ths spanner !

You mentioned Bergerac wine Kevin - Bergerac is a wine producing "region" (an appellation) and the area produces hundreds, if not thousands of different wines and yes, as we live just 45 minutes drive from Bergerac, we do drink many of their wines.  One of my favourites is "Pecharmant", a very small area just north of Bergerac town.  Not all the good wines are from Bordeaux although maybe most of the really great ones are …..   I'm talking red wines here but I suspect some of the Rhone growers would argue with me ……..

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.