How much Cork Underlay is Best?

Posted
Rating:

A Members Poll on Cork, its merits and Specs

[user=2080]Barchester[/user] wrote:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
[user=434]John Dew[/user] wrote:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
we don't ballast until everything is thoroughly tested at which stage, we'd usually pull the pins once the ballast is set.
:off topic Couldnt help noticing your use of the plural Peter. I am so impressed that you now have Liz ballasting

:pedal

:mutley :mutley :mutley :mutley

I wish John.  It was actually the Royal "we" ………

"Get on with it, I need to pull me pins !!"

I can go one better

now back on topic pls
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=606]Sol[/user] wrote:
I went for the 3mm for the main line as it allows for ballasting & then going down to 1.5mm for the  yard lines etc so rolling stock will not run out onto main lines if catch points are not used.

Having cork higher on the main (1.5mm) than in sidings (none) is what I finally chose for Upper Hembury. So it's the same 1.5mm transition as yours, Sol.

Now I'm into laying track, how do I best "fade" from the 1.5mm elevation down?
I was thinking perhaps a progressively thinning layer of card but that's quite some work as I'll have 6 lines in total.

Also over what distance to make the transition?
All suggestions welcomed please!

Colin

Last edit: by Colin W

Posted
Rating:
I use Cork tiles, about 3.3mm 12" square, main reason for use, my baseboard is 2" insulation foam boards, track pins don't work that well in foam.
(don't seem to be able to register a vote)

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
[user=1397]Dorsetmike[/user] wrote:
I use Cork tiles, about 3.3mm 12" square, main reason for use, my baseboard is 2" insulation foam boards, track pins don't work that well in foam.
(don't seem to be able to register a vote)
Hi Mike,

It's an old poll so may well be closed off. You will see from the results that opinions vary quite a bit!

My latest post was simply a follow up question regarding having a thinner layer of cork for sidings so they sit lower than the main. AFAIK this mimics prototypical practice so that stock cannot roll out onto the mainline if left unsecured.

If you desire sidings to be set lower then some transition is required between there and the main.

Last edit: by Colin W

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.