How much Cork Underlay is Best?

Posted
Rating:
#258631 (In Topic #14129)

A Members Poll on Cork, its merits and Specs

How much depth of cork underlay is optimum on a standard type Ply topped layout?

This and other questions are arising as I'm start to acquire various bits for my new layout and I was interested in Members thoughts about this issue. Please answer my Poll and provide comments and feedback as you see fit. Thanks in anticipation.

I've allowed for the common thicknesses I've seen viz. 1.5mm, 2mm, 3mm etc.

BTW for imperial metrics users score 1/16th in thick cork roll in the 1- 1.6mm band for your response
 Likewise 1/8th goes in the >2.0-3.2mm band

Edit: I'd also like to hear your thoughts on the need for cork if the main operations are at slow speed as opposed to rattling along a mainline!

Colin

Last edit: by Colin W

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I voted none as in not applicable as I've used Diall 5mm wood fibre underlay sheets (790mm x590mm ) to cover my baseboards instead  :thumbs

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I went for the 3mm for the main line as it allows for ballasting & then going down to 1.5mm for the  yard lines etc so rolling stock will not run out onto main lines if catch points are not used.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Same reason as Matt only I use track insulation only.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
My vote is for '' other'', as I've used 3mm on the running line and none under the goods roads, which are laid lower than running lines to avoid runaways leaving the yard and also as they have a different balasting regime.

I wouldn't worry too much about the drumming noise with ply faced baseboard for small plank type layouts, as speed should not be an issue, although drawing any track pins out after track laying will remove the transmission pathway to the ply. Types and methods of balasting is often considered to also affect sound transmission, although I've yet to ballast, but intend to be careful not to create a direct bond between hard set ballast and plywood. 

Hope it goes well for you and your sound locos will overcome any residual drumming!

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
I use 2" thick insulation foam board as baseboard, only problem with that is it does not hold track pins so I cover it with cork tiles which are about 3.5mm

Last edit: by Dorsetmike

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
[user=1814]Longchap[/user] wrote:
My vote is for '' other'', as I've used 3mm on the running line and none under the goods roads, which are laid lower than running lines to avoid runaways leaving the yard and also as they have a different blasting regime.

I wouldn't worry too much about the drumming noise with ply faced baseboard for small plank type layouts, as speed should not be an issue, although drawing any track pins out after track laying will remove the transmission pathway to the ply. Types and methods of blasting is often considered to also affect sound transmission, although I've yet to ballast, but intend to be careful not to create a direct bond between hard set ballast and plywood. 

Hope it goes well for you and your sound locos will overcome any residual drumming!

Bill

Thx Bill, Interesting comments,

On my current layout I had to relay the mainline to adjust the positioning of points and sort out some unevenness. I took that opportunity to put down cork under the whole roundy round. When I tested (this was pre-sound era) I was hard pressed to notice a difference but that might be due to the track pins acting to transfer vibrations. Also I suspect my baseboard setup is less than ideally solid and may act like a speaker cabinet! Hence I'm not putting any weight on those old "uncontrolled experimental" findings.

Everything will be done with the benefits of experience and learning on Project Green Light.

Posted
Rating:
In places, I've covered the whole of the baseboard in thin cork from a roll whilst in others, I've used the "click-floor" underlay, again, all over.

To me, the main advantage of cork is to allow for the "cess" at either side of the tracks - created by an additional layer of cork just under the tracks.

As Bill said, any "solid" contact between rail and ply baseboard totally negates any sound deadening properties.  That "solid contact" could include glued ballast or track pins.  Also, Bill's correct in that there really isn't a drumming problem at low speeds.

Both an advantage and a disadvantage of thick cork is, on the plus side, it allows for easy track pin insertion and on the minus side, it doesn't hold the pins particularly well if they're under any kind of "stress" such as holding a curve in flexi track.  That, as in the real thing, is the job of the ballast although we don't ballast until everything is thoroughly tested at which stage, we'd usually pull the pins once the ballast is set.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
we don't ballast until everything is thoroughly tested at which stage, we'd usually pull the pins once the ballast is set.
:off topic Couldnt help noticing your use of the plural Peter. I am so impressed that you now have Liz ballasting

:pedal

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
[user=434]John Dew[/user] wrote:
we don't ballast until everything is thoroughly tested at which stage, we'd usually pull the pins once the ballast is set.
:off topic Couldnt help noticing your use of the plural Peter. I am so impressed that you now have Liz ballasting

:mutley :mutley :mutley :mutley

I wish John.  It was actually the Royal "we" ………

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
… To me, the main advantage of cork is to allow for the "cess" at either side of the tracks - created by an additional layer of cork just under the tracks
As Bill said, any "solid" contact between rail and ply baseboard totally negates any sound deadening properties.  That "solid contact" could include glued ballast or track pins.  Also, Bill's correct in that there really isn't a drumming problem at low speeds.
I agree with Peter totally.  The raised track gives a far better look - particularly on running lines.  I voted 2mm which is more than enough to achieve this in OO.  In sidings, I use the same cork to bring the ground up to to the top of sleeper level (code 75 sleeper base).
Barry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff

"Get on with it, I need to pull me pins !!"

Posted
Rating:
Both an advantage and a disadvantage of thick cork is, on the plus side, it allows for easy track pin insertion and on the minus side, it doesn't hold the pins particularly well if they're under any kind of "stress" such as holding a curve in flexi track.
I don't find a problem with pins moving in cork tiles, they are somewhat harder and stiffer than untreated cork; when you think about it they have to be treated to withstand being walked on.

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
[user=1397]Dorsetmike[/user] wrote:
Both an advantage and a disadvantage of thick cork is, on the plus side, it allows for easy track pin insertion and on the minus side, it doesn't hold the pins particularly well if they're under any kind of "stress" such as holding a curve in flexi track.
I don't find a problem with pins moving in cork tiles, they are somewhat harder and stiffer than untreated cork; when you think about it they have to be treated to withstand being walked on.
thx but please vote Mike, I'd like to know what thickness cork you're using

Posted
Rating:
See 6th post.

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Sorry Mike, I'd seen that and forgot  :roll:

Posted
Rating:
There isn't an option for 1/32" (0·75mm), so I've had to say 3/64" instead.

9C, Hibel Road & Macclesfield Central: 30 May 1941. Various scales
Landscape 1:150, Buildings 1:152·4, 9mm Track 1:159·5, Stock 1:148

Posted
Rating:
[user=2080]Barchester[/user] wrote:

"Get on with it, I need to pull me pins !!"

Who gave you permission to use Grannie's photo ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
:mutley :mutley :mutley

Posted
Rating:
[user=2202]6243[/user] wrote:
There isn't an option for 1/32" (0·75mm), so I've had to say 3/64" instead.
No problem, it's the general thickness rather than precision. I'm guessing that for 'N' Gauge the thickness you've chosen is for cosmetic rather than sound reduction purposes.

Colin
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.