Single Slip

Posted
Rating:

Anyone know of any problems with these?

I agree Sol but someone posted a similar question to Michael's on RmWeb and he showed frog wires although I understood he was also talking about insulfrog slips.  Electrofrog slips don't come in Code 100 - at least, I don't think so……… :roll:

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
The wires I'm seeing on that crossover seam to be powering the through track. None of them look to be powering the Frog ? That is what I would EXPECT to see on insulfrog. Maybe its a printing error and they meant to say you would need to Add a feed in if you want to make them Live ?  Very confusing, as mentioned I would email Peco Direct for an explanation ?
Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Michael

Peco now have "unifrog" pointwork.

PECO Unifrog - DCCWiki

This webpage comes up when I search Unifrog.  Never used them but they apparently behave differently.

Having said all that, I am not sure that there is a unifrog single slip.

Sorry if that's no help, just confusing, but I thought it might be worth mentioning!!

Barry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
Hi chaps,
The unifrog was first introduced with Code 75 bulkhead all metal points and so far is not available with Code 100 units.

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
I have contacted PECO, but no response yet…
The instructions in the packet saying this:

"The two frogs are electrically separated from the rest of the rails and in every situation their polarity needs switching using either PL-13 or PL-15 switches or two smart frogs if using the Peco smartswitch system."

Examining the slip, there is a factory fitted wire from the outside rail to the inside rail of the opposite track (which I presume then feeds the internal rails of the crossing) but it then goes on to connect to the frog.  So it does not appear to be electrically separated.

Why would the frog power need switching?  As far as I can tell, the internal wiring feeds the correct power to the frog.  The frog would be completely isolated if it were not for these factory fitted wires.

Michael

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
A photo of the top of the slip will help Michael.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
OK, just read your layout thread & you say it is an Insulfrog so frog wiring is NOT required - just need power to the outside rails. Insulators maybe required at turnouts that connect to the slip depending on what type of turnout frog is joined to it.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Ron, that is exactly what I thought, but the instructions are clear that the frog polarity needs switching.  I will do a temporary set up tomorrow and see how it goes.
Michael

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Ok Michael, back to basics. with the point completely isolated, take your Multi meter, select each road through the point and see what readings you get, including each frog. This will tell you what IS powered and what isn't, and then you can determine what DOES. Need a power supply ?

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
You might have to talk me through what I would need to do, I do own a multi meter, but using it is a different matter!
Michael

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
If the frog is not joined at tip but with some plastic, that is an insulfrog & needs no switching.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
This is a insulfrog

Crossing, Single Slip

Single slips were often used on double track lines to incorporate a trailing crossover into the access for a siding, goods yard etc.

If you wish to mix wheel standards on your 00/H0 layout, this is the trackage to choose. Code 100 rail allows flange depths up to 1.6mm which means that both vintage and current stock will run happily together.

The wide range of turnouts and crossings in this series includes every type, and the geometry of this range has been cleverly designed to make it easy to build convenient, complex and aesthetically pleasing formations using combinations of small, medium and large radius turnouts and crossings. Layout plans suggestions can be found in our publications ‘Track Plans for Layouts to Suit all Locations’ (Ref PM-202), ‘60 Plans for Small Railways’ (Ref no PB-3), and ‘Track Plans for Various Locations’ (Ref no PB-66).

View

& this is an electrofrog

Crossing, Single Slip

Single slips were often used on double track lines to incorporate a trailing crossover into the access for a siding, goods yard etc.

Peco Streamline Code 75 track meets the standards of enthusiasts who prefer to run trains on scale height rail. Today most manufacturers' wheels are suitable for use on Code 75 track but some vintage models may have flanges which are too deep to clear the rail fixings. Code 75 can be easily combined with code 100 track by using the SL-113 Transition Track.

The wide range of turnouts and crossings in this series includes every type, and the geometry of this range has been cleverly designed to make it easy to build convenient, complex and aesthetically pleasing formations using combinations of small, medium and large radius turnouts and crossings. Layout plans suggestions can be found in our publications ‘Track Plans for Layouts to Suit all Locations’ (Ref PM-202), ‘60 Plans for Small Railways’ (Ref no PB-3), and ‘Track Plans for Various Locations’ (Ref no PB-66).

For more details on Electrofrog turnouts, see our Wiring the Layout publications Nos 4 and 21.

View

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Sol.  Mine is definitely insulfrog and I thought it would be easy to wire up, were it not for these pesky instructions on the packet…..

No news from Peco, but I messaged DCC Concepts who confirmed it needs no switching and can even have metal fishplates, unless there is is a facing point.  Their support is always prompt and efficient and I cannot fault it.

Anyway, at some point today I will test it all out and see how it goes.

Michael

Last edit: by Headmaster

Posted
Rating:
Very late in the day - sorry for that - but here's a shot of my double slip showing just the two wires to the centre feeding it.  I have 2 of them, both wired exactly the same way and I only used insulated joiners where one leg was fed by an electrofrog point - otherwise, no insulated joiners required.

Ignore the holes at the ends of the slip - they were used for orientation whilst fitting motors under the baseboard.

It has occurred to me that single slips might just be different in that they only slip one way …………..

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Same principle Peter. Each point motor controls the opposite frog.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Peter.  I can only assume it was an error in the printing of the instructions, because this is exactly how I have tested the single slip, and no additional wiring and no powering of the frogs is required, so it turned out to be as easy as I had  hoped.
Michael

Posted
Rating:
Good to hear it's all fixed now.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
That's good news Michael - and still nothing from Peco ?

They really ought to tighten up on their QA.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Wiring apart, see my post above on S'slips.

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
[user=312]Chubber[/user] wrote:
Wiring apart, see my post above on S'slips.

Errrrr - which post would that be Doug ?  Maybe it too is a casualty of Brexit and not permitted in France ………….

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.