The "joys" of turning 21 plus

Posted
Rating:
All the best for the 10th August Ron and I'm sure many of us are of are of an age sufficient to share your frustration of the body not doing what one wants it to! Slowing down at first helps, but it will be so good to get your mobility and pain levels finally sorted.

Bon courage mon ami,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Must say I seem to be a bit luckier at 88 than some of you youngsters, apart from cancer on a vocal chord about 3 years ago - sorted by 5 days a week for 4 weeks of radio therapy - I'm just starting to feel old, often reduced to a shuffle rather than a walk. Two cataract ops have kept vision reasonable, still driving, otherwise the thing I notice most is the aftermath of near 50 years smoking even though it's now 20 yeas since giving up.

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
5 days to go & I am not counting……. pigs bottom - I can't wait to get it done, it is a real PITA.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Good luck with it Sol.   :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Good luck for the tenth Sol.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
All done, new hip in & outside of not sleeping too well, the only other problem is the muscles that got hammered & thus sharp niggle in the leg when I move things….

Can only get better

Ron

Posted
Rating:
[user=606]Sol[/user] wrote:
All done, new hip in & outside of not sleeping too well, the only other problem is the muscles that got hammered & thus sharp niggle in the leg when I move things….

Can only get better
:doublethumb

Cheers,
Claus
www.flickr.com/photos/ellef/

Posted
Rating:
Take you time Ron. Things take longer as we get older.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Good news Sol - I'm sending you a skipping rope via Fedex ………………. :cheers :cheers

Hope the recovery is fairly rapid and the niggles disappear very quickly but don't push things too hard.  :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
  It’s always good to get the op behind you, so you can focus on the recovery process and getting back to doing what you want to do again. It may be slow, but steady progress Ron, but at least you’re moving forward once again.

Take it easy and start planning what to do next on the railway  .  .  .  as if you haven’t already done so!

Vey best,

Bill

:cheers

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
[user=606]Sol[/user] wrote:

Can only get better
Glad to hear you’ve had the op. Hopefully you are able to get back to some modelling soon, if not already?

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Hip is coming along so well, I don't need any walking aid but certainly not upto Olympic walking speed.

see my Dr Tuesday & so hopefully I can drive from the 12th of Sept.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Wow - that's some progress Sol !!

It was Liz's birthday recently and afterwards, I could hardly walk without aid and I'm still non-bionic ……………. :shock:

Just don't push things too much - I'm told it takes time for these things to "run in" ……..

By "Tuesday", do you mean tomorrow or next week - only just realising you're probably in "tomorrow" already down there …………. :hmm

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Goodonya Sol. Us lot down here don't hang about, eh.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:

By "Tuesday", do you mean tomorrow or next week - only just realising you're probably in "tomorrow" already down there …………. :hmm
That is today Tuesday Sept 6 & ready to go for my walk ( with a stick just in case)

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
The hip is going so well, I don't use a stick & I can even sit down under my layout re-wiring.
As I have to rebuild two panels into one to make life easier for the Dispatcher when we operate, when I looked underneath & saw the spaghetti mess, I shuddered & of course I did have schematics of most of the wiring so it is "fun" in working out what I did & do I still need all the wires ?

In between & operating sessions on the D&S  & re-wiring, I have rearranged track over the lift up and also provide extra DMU storage whilst amending timetables etc & still have involvement with a club in building an O scale layout; helping a mate wire his & and an operator on 3 other layouts each month.

Next medical episodes are getting my right knee checked  & an echogram on the heart to see how the slightly loose heart valves are going !

Just because I am past the nominal life expectancy, doesn't mean I have to slow down ( even though my oldest grand-daughter calls me "an old fa.t" )

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Good to hear that you are fighting fit again Ron

Barry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
Glad to hear you're going well, Ron.

I'm still wiring my new layout. I promised myself that it was going to be tidy, but it's beginning to look a mess as usual.  :)

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Good to hear the old fa*t is still working well Sol.  As they say in Scotland - Lang may yer lum reek ………………. ;-)

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Good to hear of positive progress.  Does the new hip run on DCC or DC?

Rick
Layouts here and here
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.